Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#151192 - 10/07/08 07:24 PM Re: Rewarding Weekend - Remembering The Survivors [Re: paramedicpete]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
This was a very busy and heart rending weekend. I attended the funeral for MSP-TFC, Flight Paramedic Mickey Lippy on Saturday and witnessed the incredible compassion from thousands of LEOs, Firefighters and Citizens from all over the country. The 20-mile funeral procession from his Volunteer Fire Station to the cemetery was lined with fire/police units and Citizens waving flags, hands over hearts and signs signaling their feeling of loss. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the funerals for the other two, but know that they too received the honor they were due.

This weekend was also the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial at the National Fire Academy in Emmetsburg, Maryland. I thought I would share parts of a letter written by the President of the Frederick County Volunteer Fire/Rescue Association.

Pete

A letter from President Micky Fyock, FCVFRA

Courage and Honor comes in different ways. It also comes in many sizes. We as first responders all know that the next bell we answer could be our last. We know this and we freely choose and accept this fact. What we sometimes forget or overlook or even take for granted is the courage it takes from our love ones. This weekend is a reminder of their endless love and support they give and the pain they must endure as survivors. We as responders may give the ultimate price. But think of the price our loves one pay. Think of the hardship that is bestowed on them. Just think of the courage it takes for survivors to travel to a strange place and be with strangers to relive their pain. But they do!

I have even met some that come alone.I met A young girl with A baby from Texas. This young survivor was by herself. She told me she was from a small town. Her husband was a Fireman and commuted to a bigger town and was killed in action. The town took up a collection to help her come to the event. It doesn't take survivors long after they arrive to realize they truly belong to an extended family.

I want to thank the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation for their dedication and commitment. This dedication and commitment comes from the heart and is a testament that all over this great Nation that our Fire and Rescue family is strong and when the chips are down we stand together. I know this works because later I saw this young girl with other survivors and she was smiling a little. I am so proud of our Frederick County Departments and the personnel both career and volunteer. l am equally proud that we are the host County. What higher or more important honor could this County ever be task with.

On Thursday night we welcomed the returning survivors whom help the new families arriving on Friday. These survivors amaze me. They travel from all over this great Nation just to give a helping hand. On Friday night we welcomed the new survivors. Frederick County has the honor of having a welcome table. The welcome table consists of tee shirts donated by local Fire and Rescue Departments and also Departments from all over the Country. A welcome bag is given to each new survivor family consisting of apples and jellies…. The smiles in the survivors face were priceless. There are also other items on the table such as mugs, Department Pins or anything anyone wanted to donate were also available. Late on Saturday night we greeted the survivors after they return from the Candle Light Service with a midnight snacks before they retire for the evening. The left over items from Friday night are put out along with some fresh homemade cakes and cookies…

… I would like to share one experience my wife and I had. On Friday night my wife and other volunteers were setting up the welcome table. My wife came to me with tears in her eyes. I ask her what was wrong. A young boy about 10 yrs old came up and ask her if he could please have one of the tee shirts from my Department Woodsboro Co #16. The young man told my wife that his father was Captain 16 from Charleston S.C and died in a fire. I don't have to tell you that I found that little man and his family and they were taken care of personally. I sat with that little man and his family for a while… In closing I encourage everyone to get involved next year. I will assure you that you will get a booster shot of the heart and understand more than ever that we best honor those whom gave the ultimate sacrifice and their surviving families by continuing to serve. During the year when your Departments order tee shirts please order some extra. Especially smaller children sizes. As my wife and I learned first hand. I cannot begin to tell you what it is like to walk into a large room that is dedicated to the children. To see the fantastic Fire Department clowns from all over our service entertaining our littlest survivors. To set and watch them make a remembrance box of their love ones. Words alone cannot describe the feeling. I truly believe and hope when the survivors return to their homes that the Foundation and Frederick County will have a special place in their hearts as they do in ours.

In the end it should be a great comfort to all of us that if something does happen that there is a Foundation to help our love ones. I thank each and every one of you that helped in the healing process of the broken hearts of our extended Fire and Rescue families. I also understand our brave men and women in uniform overseas protecting our freedom was able to watch the event via the internet. I also understand Eileen from the Foundation is in need of our prayers. May we all pray for these special people and their families and may they " ALL COME HOME".soon. Thank You.

#154854 - 11/11/08 12:40 AM Re: Rewarding Weekend - Remembering The Survivors [Re: paramedicpete]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Pete,

The NTSB released this press release today regarding a public hearing on EMS Operations. There will be a webcast if you are not able to attend.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2008/081110.html

I hope that it will help keep EMS folks safer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.