The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#155152 - 11/13/08 08:19 PM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Splenda is just a sucrose (sugar!) molecule with three chlorine atoms replacing three hydroxyl radicals. Saying it is closer to PCB's than sugar is either dishonest or ignorant science. It's like saying a car and a telephone booth are identical because they both contain glass panels.
PCB, refridgerants and other chlorinated solvents have completely different molecular structures than sugar.

Replacing the 3 hydroxyl groups with chlorine, has turned the raffinose molecule (a sugar molecule) into a chlorinated hydrocarbon molecule or a Organochloride . The transformed molecule is now not a sugar of any chemical description. By definition the addition of the 3 chlorine atoms now ensures that the so called 'Sucralose' molecule (which by its own name is a misnomer, in fact the name 'Sucralose' is in fact a scientifically fraudulent name as it does not conform to any organic chemists idea for a naming convention) is not a sugar, a sugar being a sub grouping of carbohydrate molecules, as carbohydrates by definition only contain carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms and most definitely not any chlorine atoms. So by this very fact the so called 'Sucralose' molecule is a chlorinated hydrocarbon molecule and is most definitely not a sugar.

http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/factvsfiction/index.html

The addition of the chlorine atoms is not a trivial matter, as you are most probably aware even identical molecules which just vary slighty in their structure through mirror image isomerism can be devistating to human growth and health.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/13/08 08:39 PM)

#155154 - 11/13/08 08:40 PM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
From www.americanchemistry.com:

"Chlorine chemistry is essential to more than 93 percent of prescription pharmaceuticals sold in the U.S. These include critical drugs used to treat high cholesterol, stomach ulcers, anemia, cancer, epilepsy and depression. For U.S. and Canadian consumers, the total benefit of chlorine chemistry in pharmaceuticals is estimated to be $450 billion per year."

Being an organochloride does not automatically make it bad.

*sigh*

Nevermind. I'm sure going back to the caves will work out fine.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#155168 - 11/13/08 11:32 PM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: Yuccahead]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
If there's a Kroger's grocery near you, try their no sugar added ice cream. I've had regular butter pecan that comes off second best to it.

#155170 - 11/13/08 11:56 PM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
snoman Offline

"Spenda is not a sugar, its chemical name is 1,6-Dichloro-1,6-dideoxy-a lpha-D-fructofuranosyl-4-chloro-4-deoxy-a lpha-D-galactopyranoside"

- Mmmmm, yummy!

#155186 - 11/14/08 02:53 AM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: snoman]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
My mom was a pioneer in reducing calorie count in everyday foods-Cornell home economics major, and quite adventurous. She created a dietetic mayonnaise in the '50's-substituted mineral oil for the olive oil when she made it. Served it to the bridge club with her popular tomato aspic. The ladies liked it all too well, and came down with the runs shortly thereafter, since mineral oil isn't meatbolized, but passes-quite promptly-through the gut. The old man's favorite recommendation for dog cough syrup was a tablespoon of mineral oil-"they'll be afraid to cough!"

Doughnuts without holes are beignet. Laissez les bon temps roulez.

#155196 - 11/14/08 06:11 AM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: nursemike]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't get it.

All these companies make all these low- or no-calorie sweeteners to help Americans lose weight, or to keep it off, right?

Then why is most of the corn grown in the U.S. genetically modified, and most the non-animal-feed corn turned into high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which is added to nearly every processed food we eat?

Here's a small part of a very long list of foods that contain HFCS:
Stove Top Stuffing Mix
Most soft drinks
Fruit drinks of all kinds
Darigold Chocolate milk
Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice & Sauce
Sara Lee Healthy Whole-Grain Bread
Thomas English Muffins
Wonderbread
Virtually every product Kellogg makes
Lifesaver candies
Heinz Catsup
Miracle Whip salad dressings
Most of Nabisco's products
All the NutriGrain bars
Quite a few cough syrups & cold remedies
Breyer's yogurt
Yoplait yogurts
Claussen pickles
Mott's Applesauce
Ben & Jerry's ice creams
Dreyer's ice creams
Knott's Berry Farm jams
Smuckers jams and jellies
A1 Steak Sauce
Bull's Eye BBQ sauces
Oscar Meyer's Lunchables
Ragu and Prego spaghetti sauces

I guess you wouldn't want me to get started on HFCS in fast foods, right?

Read the labels, and don't stop at the first sweetener you see. You will find that HFCS is in far more foods than it isn't.

Just in case you're still one of the people who use real sugar, apparently 2008 is the first year that sugar made from genetically- modified sugar beets hit the markets for the general consumer. WHOOPDEEDOO! If this bothers you, stick to cane sugar. At least, for now.

And, just for fun, I'll tell you that the company who sells you Aspartame, and the company who owns most of the genetically-modified seed in the U.S. are one and the same, Monsanto. I guess they'll get you, one way or another.

Sue

#155200 - 11/14/08 10:48 AM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Sue,

Quote:
I guess you wouldn't want me to get started on HFCS in fast foods, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

Quote:
Get the facts, your in for a sweet surprise!

Er, would that be obesity and the complications that arise from Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.

I guess you wouldn't have been stuck for words. whistle

#155209 - 11/14/08 02:20 PM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
HFCS is the result of politicians being bought. How bout them cheap sugar imports? What, tarrifs? How bout them HFCS?

#155212 - 11/14/08 03:02 PM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: Nishnabotna]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Look, it's like this, if you cannot tolerate the consumption of any digestible sugar in anything but a trace amount, then either you give up sweets, or you find an alternative. Right now, there is no alternative to sugar that isn't somehow bad for you, I don't care which bandwagon you jump on, some "expert" with an MD or PhD at the end of their name will cite some study and quote some chemical analysis and tell you that whatever sugar substitute you are considering will kill you. I searched the internet for every type of sweetener I could think of, and someone somewhere has something bad to say about every single one of them.

From the laymen's perspective I have on organochemistry, I have come to the conclusion that Splenda seems to be the best one out there right now, with the least number of known or realistically suspected side-effects or hazards. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I am, then so is everyone else out there using a sugar substitute right now. Since we are on the subject, regular sugar doesn't seem to be doing any better, and I can't help but think that given the trend in our social dietetic scheme for the past 50 years, it's no wonder that diabetes has become an epidemic in this country. Personally, my preference is towards table syrup first off, because that's what my family was raised on, mainly due to the fact that it was the only sweetener available in the southwest for darned near 100 years (table syrup is more appropriately known here in the north as Sorghum syrup). My second preference is for honey, but I won't even bother going into all the hazards I've heard recently about eating that stuff.

Since my wife can't eat any sugar, regardless of the type or form, we must use an alternative. If not Splenda, then you pick one, and I will post a whole slew of links explaining how it is going to poison us and we would do better spraying it in our garden to control pests.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, those squirrels in our backyard certainly didn't seem to care one whit about the Splenda I used to ice and otherwise coat those donuts in. Three of them ate the whole dozen over the weekend, and guess what, they are back for more. Maybe I will run my own little experiment and keep making squirrel food through the winter and see what happens to them come springtime.

#155243 - 11/14/08 05:40 PM Re: The best laid plans... [Re: benjammin]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
I'm curious if anyone has looked at "Stevia" type alternative? I've tried it some as a coffee/tea sweetener, since I blame aspartame based sweeteners for migranes (right or wrong, I don't know, but anything that could set of a migrane is to be avoided).

Anyway, the flavor is slightly different than surgar. I won't get into all of the controversy as to why it has to be an "herbal supplement" in the US. I bought mine at a local Trader Joe's. Can be used as a substitute for sugar in some baking/cooking, requiring much smaller amounts than sugar.

It would not have the same effect as sugar on your doughnuts, but for other sweetening needs it may or may not be of interest. Just a thought, YMMV.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.