Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#154541 - 11/07/08 01:27 PM Bottled Water Quality Investigation (article)
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Interesting article I found,thought some of you guys may wanna read it. 10 Major Brands, 38 Pollutants....Bottled water

#154542 - 11/07/08 02:03 PM Re: Bottled Water Quality Investigation (article) [Re: Themalemutekid]
Jakam
Unregistered

Penn and Teller did an interesting expose on their cable show B***Sh**, talking about the un-regulated bottled water industry, the fact that Coke and Pepsi make as much (or more) on their water now as their soda (this show is a couple of years old, I'm not sure if that statistic still stands) and the quality issues as described by this group.

I drink filtered tap water, and I have bottled water in storage and in the spare fridge for convenience (grab one on the way to the car, for instance).

What is everyone else drinking?

And does anyone have an data on the authors of this study? I read their "About Us" page, they seem to have a reputable group of folks on staff.

Not that I doubt their findings, rather, their recommendations. For instance, they make the claim (again) that the PET used to bottle water is dangerous in itself and I thought that had been debunked before.

#154549 - 11/07/08 02:29 PM Re: Bottled Water Quality Investigation (article) [Re: Themalemutekid]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
That's not exactly news. Unfortunately. Its common knowledge that (in the western world) tap water is generally purer than bottled water.

I seem to remember at least one report, on this forum, of so called bottled water being refilled and resealed by the locals. You cannot exactly blame them. By their standards its good money for relatively little effort.

One good thing about is that you are most likely to be dealing with bacteria and viruses rather than protozoa. Which can be dealt with by chlorination.

#154555 - 11/07/08 03:24 PM Re: Bottled Water Quality Investigation (article) [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Jakam
For instance, they make the claim (again) that the PET used to bottle water is dangerous in itself and I thought that had been debunked before.

What are you referring to? I don't see PET or polyethylene mentioned anywhere in the article. They did breast cancer cell proliferation assays (rather frightening results, actually) but they did not claim that the chemicals came from the bottle. Actually, the wording implies that these were contaminants already in the water.

#154590 - 11/07/08 09:17 PM Re: Bottled Water Quality Investigation (article) [Re: Arney]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I drink bottled water, not for "health reasons", but because the tap water in my neighborhood tastes bad due to high mineral content (22 grains, nearly saturated). I've tried water filters (like Brita), but they don't take out dissolved solids. The answer is a Reverse Osmosis filter, and I just haven't gotten around to installing one.

I refill gallon jugs at the grocery store, where they have a high capacity R-O filter. Much cheaper that way, since most of the cost of bottled water is the bottle.

#154661 - 11/08/08 04:51 PM Re: Bottled Water Quality Investigation (article) [Re: Arney]
Jakam
Unregistered

Sorry, I hit "Recommendations" on the right side of the article, and that's where they mention the plastic and a 2002 source.

#154668 - 11/08/08 06:32 PM Re: Bottled Water Quality Investigation (article) [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Low cost, clean, safe, and well regulated water is one of the biggest single advances in civilization and health ever. Unfortunately bottled water nibbles away at this valuable asset. The guy dumping used motor oil and pesticides down the storm drain can comfort himself that there is no danger because 'everyone' drinks bottled water.

It think that as we have shifted to the illusion of better water in bottles we have become more complacent in protecting the common good of safe and clean municipal water.

I'm not surprised about finding crud in bottled water. I have done work at a water bottling plant that drew from a spring. The theory is that spring water is cleaner and safer. The fact is that while spring water can be safe and more pure it largely depends on what is upstream in the underground flow. Dairy farms and golf courses are common sources of chemicals and manure that flow to sinkholes or unsealed old wells and on down into the aquifer.

I do buy bottled water but I make sure it comes from a municipal supply so the source has been tested and regulated. The bottling company then 'polishes' the water, typically running it through a carbon filter to remove chlorine, and seals it in bottles. This sort of bottled water is, IMHO, the safest out there and it usually is also the cheapest. this is how most major supermarkets get their store brand bottled water.

I keep a six pack or two of half-liter bottles in my vehicle and can say that even after three years of Florida heat the water was still good. Had the typical plastic taste but discounting a certain amount of abnormal testicular growth, and consequent lean to the left, that went away in time, it was fine. <jk>

Other than reserve supplies I don't drink bottled water.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.