Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1543 - 09/04/01 08:18 AM Cooking Pot
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are people's thoughts on making a hot drink from your emergency kit. I store a small amount of instant tea/milk powder and a sachet of sugar in my kit to make a brew, raise moral etc. <br><br>But how to boil the water. I have some aluminium foil in the kit enough to fashion a container about the size of my large Sierra cup. Should I use this current plan and boil the water in this and then drink from it as well? <br><br>Or should I use the tin (mine is a tin about the size of the one Doug uses), boiling smaller amounts of water, carry less foil, enough to fashion a small drinking vessel from. I could improvise a handle for the tin from the brass wire I carry so it could be lifted from the heat. <br><br>I think I now favour the second approach. One reason being I could then get two or three brews from the supplies carried. <br><br>Has anyone used a foil pot? <br><br>I think the whole thing requires some experimenting here at home.<br><br>However I would be interested in some input.<br><br>If however I also have my belt kit with me the issue does not arise as I have my Sierra mug in that one.<br><br>Clive<br><br>

#1544 - 09/04/01 09:07 AM Re: Cooking Pot
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Welcome Clive, I tried utilizing my pocket tin for a small drinking/boiling tin. First is the problem of where to put all the neccessarily small items. I wound up shoving everything into my already loaded pockets. The small drink hardly seemed worth the effort. Next I fashioned a cup from aluminum foil. This gave me the volume, but wasnt very stable balancing on my German pocket Esbit stove. I finally settled on my Tin Cup for it's intended use. Since I was going to carry it along anyway, I nestled a small can of caribou meat, a satchet of salt, pepper, sugar and tea and topped it with a n additional coil of snare wire. A P-38 can opener was taped to the meat tin. Finally the entire affair was secured with Ducktape. Admittedly this isn't for daily carry in the city or for travelling with only the pocket tin.Then I would use the tin foil, or locate one of the collapsing cups.<br><br>

#1545 - 09/04/01 01:46 PM Re: Cooking Pot
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
Has anyone tried the canteen cup and canteen cup-stove? Theyre supposed to be usable with a 1L US-army water bottle and pouch.<br><br>Stefan<br><br>

#1546 - 09/04/01 02:18 PM Re: Cooking Pot
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br><br>I have the canteen cup that fits around the bottom of my Dutch (Nato) water canteen and I have no coocking stand that you're supposed to put an Esbit or Trioxane tables under and put the canteen cup on top of.<br>I don't need that extra weight as the canteen cup is heavy enough but will withstand any fire that I could make.<br>It's large enough to hold a nice cup of soup or anything else that needs to be cooked or warmed up.<br><br>One alternative that I saw while watching the Woodsmaster Video tapes from Ron&Karen Hood was a 1 pound coffee can that he always packed with his gear and used for preparing food, sterilizing water, melting pinetree resin etc etc.<br>Good part it doesn't cost much and he fitted a nice Lexan waterbottle in it so it didn't take up that much extra space in his pack.<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera <br><br>

#1547 - 09/04/01 04:52 PM Re: Cooking Pot
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you cary the standard Mil-Spec canteen or it's NATO equivelent, they make sense. The stove nests with the cup on the canteen inside the carrier. Normal fuel if carried is either Trioxane or Hexamine tabs or whatever natural fuel may be gathered.I personally went with the Esbit pocket stove from Germany.The supplied fuel bars will not breakdown when exposed to air and it fits in my pocket.Either unit will requrie a little care in setting up. They aren't the most stable units.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.