Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#153149 - 10/25/08 01:07 AM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
My issue is weird. I'm not moving around in my boots a lot, and the boots aren't too short. It's more like the toenails are rubbing on the top of the toe box of the boot. I've had it happen on innumerable pairs of shoes. The boots I've got now (Lowas) are better than my last set (Dunhams), but still having the problem.

Thinner insoles, or insoles with the front part trimmed off, to give your toes more vertical space? If your boots are leather, maybe you could get the toe box stretched out some, vertically?

Jeff

#153179 - 10/25/08 12:07 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Jeff_M]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
My issue is weird. I'm not moving around in my boots a lot, and the boots aren't too short. It's more like the toenails are rubbing on the top of the toe box of the boot. I've had it happen on innumerable pairs of shoes. The boots I've got now (Lowas) are better than my last set (Dunhams), but still having the problem.

Thinner insoles, or insoles with the front part trimmed off, to give your toes more vertical space? If your boots are leather, maybe you could get the toe box stretched out some, vertically?

Jeff

toe diet?

#153180 - 10/25/08 12:10 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Usually mid-Oct to early/mid Nov is the season.

yes, you are right - i was thinking nov but typed dec.

#153183 - 10/25/08 01:39 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: clearwater]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: clearwater
They do wear well, so they take rubbing on the boot.

Clearwater, I think you're saying that keeping your wool socks from getting chewed up by rubbing against the boot is the primary reason for the thin, synthetic, outer layer, right? When I was younger and played a lot of soccer, I always wore synthetic socks. Not very comfortable, but I never managed to rub a hole through them, so I agree that synthetics can take a lot of abuse.

And the clamminess and odor issues would be the main reasons against wearing synthetic as the inner layer for you.

#153202 - 10/25/08 06:48 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: bsmith]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

Jeff
Yeah, that might work. I'm not really sure what's going on. I've got Lowas, which are really good boots. They've got a pretty good toe box, but my "index" toenails (i.e. next to the big toe) keep taking a beating. I'm not sure if I'm rubbing on the toe box or if because I wear my boots laced so tightly that the socks are pulled tightly onto the toes on downhills. I wish I could be really certain what the exact mechanics are that are causing the problem. I don't feel anything while out hiking, but when I get home my two index toenails are all bruised. Color me clueless.

Originally Posted By: bsmith
toe diet?
lol. I've told them stictly, "no more toe cheese for you!"

#153313 - 10/26/08 04:48 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Arney]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
At work I've worn knee-high TED hoses under my cotton socks and they feel wonderful. I've worn them hiking as well and they work beautifully as well.

#153716 - 10/30/08 04:14 AM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: samhain]
Jakam
Unregistered

I agree, 2 socks works the best-

For Hikin_Jim, I had the same problem, and the REI guy told me I had a high instep, which pulled on my boots shape and caused the top of the toe rub. I dunno, I bought a wider pair that solved it, but a different brand so not very scientific........

#153719 - 10/30/08 04:32 AM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I've had the problem with a couple of different pairs of boots, but maybe a differetn pair is worth trying, particularly if I can get some good advice. Some of the guys at REI are really good and know their stuff. Maybe I'll head down and talk to them. Thanks for the idea.

#153879 - 11/01/08 12:01 AM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Here's an interesting article from the podiatrists...

http://www.aapsm.org/socknov97.html

Synthetics seemed to outperform wools. I am starting to lean towards wool as a soft shell and maybe even as underwear - doesn't stink, warm when wet... sounds good, if just a bit expensive.

Eric

#154284 - 11/04/08 07:16 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: eric_2003]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: eric_2003
Here's an interesting article from the podiatrists...

http://www.aapsm.org/socknov97.html

Synthetics seemed to outperform wools. I am starting to lean towards wool as a soft shell and maybe even as underwear - doesn't stink, warm when wet... sounds good, if just a bit expensive.

Eric
I think the term "soft shell" refers more to degree of water proofness vs. breathability. For example, a really water proof (OK, resistant, GoreTex is never fully water proof) GoreTex jacket is referred to as a "hard shell." Something like wind bloc fleece is far more breathable but far less water resistant and is referred to as a "soft shell." A lot of mountaineer and climber types like the "soft shells" for winter travel. They don't get sweated out like a hard shell but offer some moisture protection from snow and the like. That's my understanding.

The mentions subungal hematoma, which I believe means bruises under the toenails, but doesn't say much about what to do about it. frown

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.