Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#153871 - 10/31/08 09:30 PM Grand Rapids, Michigan ?
learnmore Offline

Loc: Western Michigan
I am seriously considering a move to Grand Rapids MI. I have done some research on the climate there, but was wondering if anyone had some ideas of the types of natural disasters that were most likely in that area. Thanks for your insight!

#153881 - 11/01/08 12:20 AM Re: Grand Rapids, Michigan ? [Re: learnmore]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I lived there for a year in high school. Nice city. Even nicer region of the country - I like Michigan.

If you get much closer to Lake Michigan you'll get huge weather effects, but not a whole lot of risk there. I suppose the Grand River could flood, but a lot depends on where you live with respect to the river, which runs pretty much the width of Michigan.

The economy there is probably the biggest risk you'll run. The whole state is getting hit hard by the automotive industries slow death. My niece is trying to sell her house there. Not much luck from what I hear.

#153934 - 11/01/08 07:10 PM Re: Grand Rapids, Michigan ? [Re: KenK]
MrEarp Offline
Stranger

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
I lurk more then I post. But this is something I can help with as a "local"

Natural disasters -

Severe Thunderstorms
Occasional Tornado - The last one we had in Kent County was an F0 about 3 years ago
Very Localized flooding - You have to live close to the river or one of the streams to see flooding.
Winter Storms and Blizzards

Grand Rapids is about 30 miles away from lake michigan, somedays we are spared the worst because we are on the west side of the lake. Some days we have what they call "lake effect" here is an explanation of that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_effect_snow

GR isn't to bad with the crime rate and depending on where you want to live you can easily get away from the city within a 15 - 20 minute ride.

KenK is right about the economy. Michigan is getting hit pretty hard right now depending on what industry your in. My wife and I have been pretty lucky that we have jobs that haven't been effected by it.

If I can help with anything or answer any questions feel free to let me know and I'll get you my personal email address.

- Jeff (AKA MrEarp)

#153946 - 11/01/08 09:37 PM Re: Grand Rapids, Michigan ? [Re: MrEarp]
learnmore Offline

Loc: Western Michigan
Thanks for the Information. It seems to be very similar to the potential issues that we have here in NH. We would move somewhere within a 30 minute commute to Grand Rapids. Jeff, I will know in the next couple of weeks if I am going or not. If it all works out, I will contact you for more info. Thanks I really appreciate it.

#154138 - 11/03/08 08:02 PM Re: Grand Rapids, Michigan ? [Re: learnmore]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Learnmore
It has been a long while since I have posted here.
I live twenty miles south of Grand Rapids and to reitterate what Mr.Earp said the unemployment rate for Michigan is 9%.At the end of this year a major automotive plant will be closing.This will leave 1500 people unemployed.
But not to deter you G.R.is a nice place with a good art community and great concert and sports venues.The local HOCKEY team is the Griffins.They are the farm team for the REDWINGS.
Their are several colleges in the area.Grand Rapids Community College is the 2nd oldest community college in the nation.G.R. also hosts three very fine museums.
Michigan can also be a sportsmans paradise.Fishing can be had year round(if you don't mind ice fishing)and hunting can be superb.Deer,black bear,beaver,turkey,and many other species are found here(even in G.R.itself).
Please feel free to PM me also if you wish.I have been in the area for ten plus years and i may be of some help.
And to you Mr.Earp you may also feel free to PM me.Since we are practicly neighbors it would be nice to know of other like minded(prepared)people in the area.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.