Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#153949 - 11/01/08 09:56 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

My best piece of headgear period has been a 5 dollar 100% thick wool army green watch cap I got from a surplus store. Yes, my scalp line can get a bit itchy, but the wool is scratchy enough that I just use it to rub it and itch away. But the thing is warm, breathable, feels dry in constant rain, and with my head of hair seems windproof (even though its not).

I wear it all the time even just when walking the dog come October though to spring.

I just wish I had bought more when I got mine more than TEN years ago.

Dollar store at least has some thinsulate or similar ones that are cheap enough to have a few in the car and in the bug out bag. That store also has ok fleece gloves which aren't wind resistant at all but good at keeping warm.

I'll head over there today to stock up on socks and hats.

Eric

#153951 - 11/01/08 11:13 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Steve]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I basically own three types of headgear:

Tilley hats (protects my bald noggin from those UV's)

Stihl chainsaw hardhat (I seem to always be running a chainsaw or weedeater)

Watch caps (keep that noggin warm in the wintertime. And can be worn under the hardhat)...

#153963 - 11/02/08 02:49 AM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Keep a 12" circle cut from a mylar emergency blanket folded up inside the stocking cap. Use it as a liner for the cap -- it can make an awful lot of difference. Hard to get on neatly, though... if you're not careful, you might look like you're trying to hide your tinfoil hat.

Sue

#153968 - 11/02/08 03:08 AM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Susan]
Canadian Offline
Stranger

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
I always have mine stuffed in a pocket when heading into the woods this time of year. Today while out deer hunting it came in handy as a cold breeze kicked up just after sunrise. Switched out the ballcap with the watch cap and problem solved !

PS. Pom poms ARE optional ! LOL laugh

#153976 - 11/02/08 01:59 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have carried one for years during fall, winter, and early spring,,even while stationed in Florida.

A Took (is that spelled right???) has proven useful most of the time and "extremely useful" some of the time.

Once, unexpectedly, during winter in northern Florida, I was invited (aka: go along for the ride) to exfiltrate an SF (A) Team from the beach along the northern Florida coast, with 4-5 ft breakers.

I had my M-5 Field Jacket (with bandanna, gloves, and a Took) and a wet suit. I carried my EDC and a signalling kit. We got the Team, busted our way past the breakers, and found the "Darkened Ship" with a compass.

Another truly great unexpected adventure.

#153980 - 11/02/08 02:21 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: wildman800]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I once had one, that i took to australia, and new zealand during their winter. I loved that beanie! But sadly i have misplaced it frown
but I think that my mom is getting me one for Christmas made out of merino wool, so i am kind of excited. I think its cool though, how many different names they have.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#153983 - 11/02/08 02:41 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: wildman800]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I have carried one for years during fall, winter, and early spring,,even while stationed in Florida.

A Took (is that spelled right???) has proven useful most of the time and "extremely useful" some of the time.

Canadian spelling is toque but that's OK. As long as it protected your "noggin" from heat loss. I think the Brits call it a "watch cap".

I have several around the house - the latest is a heavier weight version in hunter orange colour. Great thing to have during hunting season when you don't want to be mistaken for something else!!!

Edited by Roarmeister (11/02/08 02:42 PM)

#153994 - 11/02/08 03:31 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Roarmeister]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I thought I was smart to snag a half dozen woolrich caps for $4 each, a deep magenta color wool. I packed one away in each of our emergency supplies, they're good in rain too. They were terrific, until #1 son progressively lost 5 of them on various hikes. I swear the kid has a black hole in his pack somewhere.

Countycomm has/had a very nice fleece version on their site, it works for cold outdoors and doesn't grip too much. I'll have to keep my eye open for the smart wool version.

#153999 - 11/02/08 05:49 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I don't leave home without my watch cap
boreal.net

#154003 - 11/02/08 06:39 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: BruceZed]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Of the different knit caps I have, the warmest and most comfortable is one made my Carhartt (the company that makes the ranchwear clothing). It's long enough that it can be pulled down totally over my ears - I like that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.