Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#147443 - 09/05/08 12:12 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Raspy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Raspy
Hydrogen is lighter than air. Even in a closed system it will rise up the vent pipe. But vent holes at the bottom would help.

With Hydrogen gas going up the tube where is the air coming in? it’s not because you need 2 openings.

Not without an exchange of air. It’s like a straw you dip in a glass of water. You put the straw in the water then put your thumb over the top opening and lift it out. The water will not fall out of the straw till you open the top of the straw by taking your thumb off.

It’s the same way with the gas the battery is venting. Unless you have air flow with 2 openings so the air can flow Hydrogen gas will build up.

One opening equals no exchange of air or in this case Hydrogen.

This is dangerous as Hydrogen can ignite easily with any kind of spark or flame.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#153957 - 11/02/08 01:05 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: BobS]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
So, my new house... it already has an entire 12v system!!! I found out when I removed drywall downstairs re-doing a closet!! One thing was marked 12v one was marked 110. I also found out when I started removing light fixtures and some of hte bulbs said '12v'.

So in every room that house a 110v light there is a 12v next to it smile Wahooo!

I need to find out where he planned/stored his batteries or if he just used the generator and converter to run 12v.

This is awesome! I`m so excited.
Heat will be wood and propane (soon), generator can run the well, hot water propane, lights 110 or 12v,... we can go a month or so w/out power smile LOL Saweet!

#153966 - 11/02/08 02:56 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Todd W]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'd take that as a sign the Universe is giving you a big thumbs up. laugh

Looking forward to following your path.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#153988 - 11/02/08 03:00 PM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Blast]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Stranded wire vs solid: DC electricity travels through the center of a conductor. As the frequency increases, it tends to move twords the surface until at very high frequencies it travels on the surface.

However flexibility becomes an issue in a moving enviroment (aircraft, boats, RV's etc.). If solid wire is used here, it will eventually break from vibration flexing.

Lighting: Most filament lights are very inefficient. The newer LED lights are very efficient, but the light is still not up to all applications. We use compact florescent lights for applications where lots of light is needed. We get the cheapies from W-M and use an inverter. Works great. 100 watts of light (equivalent) takes 380ma, about 24 watts of power.

Hydrogen Gassing: The best method of venting is to use two concentric tubes at the top of the container. There are good diagrams on the web (sorry I don't have a URL) that explain the concept. It might have been on a Concord Lifeline Battery site.

Battery Gassing: Not all batteries vent gas during normal operation. AGM batteries use a catalyst to return the gas to a liquid state avoiding the release of hydrogen in all but the most extreme overcharging situation. They require no vent if the overcharging situation can be prevented by proper system design.

Been living off batteries and 12v for about 11 years now.

Nomad

#154044 - 11/03/08 02:26 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Nomad]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Blast - Me too! Hehe, I won't have time to get back to 12v system until the plumbing is fixed.

Cool info Nomad thanks smile

Home Depot had 60w CFLs on sale for $2.88 for a 4 pack!! I think a power company sponsored or something... I bought a bunch (110v) for that price, they were name brand too not the generic off-color, low-light cheap ones!

-Todd

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.