The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#153918 - 11/01/08 03:39 PM In praise of the lowly knit cap
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
As cold weather comes again (*) with associated emergency preparedness implications, I'd like to praise the lowly knit cap. Call it what you will: watch cap, stocking cap, beanie; it delivers out of proportion to its stature.

They seem to collect over the years almost as fast as the fleece pull-overs that relatives keep giving me for Christmas. I'm stashing 1 or 2 caps in each vehicle (along with the pull-overs ;)).

The traditionalist in me prefers wool, but I have to admit the warmest and most comfortable ones seem to be acrylic. Lately fleece caps have appeared, but they don't stretch as well and so sometimes aren't as comfortable.

For ultimate compactness I'm especially pleased with a thin-fabric SmartWool cap I snagged on sale last Spring. It is small enough to go in the pocket of my windbreaker without getting in the way, and I've been glad it was there on a number of occasions. (The stuff does not scratch!)

So, what do you think about these lowly items? Do they figure much in your cold-weather gear?

Best to all,
Steve

* at least to those of us in the N. Hemisphere

#153923 - 11/01/08 04:30 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Steve]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My minimalist, don't leave home without it clothing kit is a military poncho, ball cap and glove inserts.
If you can keep your brain and hands functioning, a fire or expedient shelter can be secured.

Variations include the canadian Toque, with pom pom ball. This is not an affectation, but a functional accessory. Inside a hood that pom pom acts as a bearing acnhor to lock hood with head movement. If you've tried to look at something in your peripheral vision and faced material you understand.

The famous Balaclava is another variation for extreme conditions. A great source for knitting your own is
www.hjsstudio.com/redbala.html

#153925 - 11/01/08 04:47 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Steve]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Buff Head Cyclone Buff is an interesting flexible bit of headwear - similar to the British Army Wool Headover balaclava but in windproof and breathable materials

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/01/08 04:48 PM)

#153926 - 11/01/08 04:48 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Goes without saying. A wool cap has made my life less miserable in all sorts of environments, even in the middle of the Sahara desert...

#153927 - 11/01/08 04:50 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Variations include the canadian Toque, with pom pom ball. This is not an affectation, but a functional accessory. Inside a hood that pom pom acts as a bearing acnhor to lock hood with head movement.

Also, to remove it from your head without removing your mittens.

Jeff

#153928 - 11/01/08 05:20 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Jeff_M]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I like a loose weave for hunting as you can hear through it
better than a fleece or windproof version. However when it is very
cold or windy you need more.

#153942 - 11/01/08 09:14 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: clearwater]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I don't go anywhere without a Buff. Seriously, I always carry one in my EDC.

As to a 'stocking cap' or 'knit cap'. I have my military issue, balaclava and a few others. I got a Miller Lite cap at a superbowl party in Vegas. They all come in handy and one goes in my travel bags.

A word of advice for the guys, stay away from the ones with any pom pom balls on top or pig tails to tie under your chin.

#153943 - 11/01/08 09:18 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: comms]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Personally, I only wear them, not really carry them (unless camping). The surplus wool ones ARE warm, and great in snow when wet, but I found they're a bit tight until broken in- causing some nice headaches until then.

Last year I found the fleece ones at the Army/Navy. Warm, lightweight, and no headaches! Even wind resistant, which I've found rare in fleece in general. Have to say, a fleece stocking cap is in my BOB and my preferred headgear for now.

#153945 - 11/01/08 09:27 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Steve]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the gore-tex lined version can be had?

#153948 - 11/01/08 09:53 PM Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
My minimalist, don't leave home without it clothing kit is a military poncho, ball cap and glove inserts.
If you can keep your brain and hands functioning, a fire or expedient shelter can be secured.

The poncho, gaiters, a "Jeep" cap, and gloves are part of my all season car kit. Amazing how warm a poncho and a couple of hand warmers can keep you if you have to "tuck" up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.