Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#153408 - 10/27/08 06:59 PM Re: What do you prepare for and not prepare for? [Re: Jeff_M]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
My Top 10 Events to Prepare For in order of most likely to occur, and how I expect (am trained) to help:

1. Medical assistance - multiple times a year, ranging from cuts/bruises to broken bones. Keep current on FA/CPR.
2. Winter storms - lose power, heat: general preparedness. Assist with clearing downed trees for emergency vehicle access.
3. Household fires - get everyone OUT, stay OUT. Beyond that first few minutes of chaos, if this goes right, life is gravy.
4. Floods - to others below the flood line. I'll fill sand bags and possibly shelter folks via Red Cross. Post event, help with clean up, they can sure use it.
5. Earthquakes - small. Help self, family, coworkers, neighborhood, community via Red Cross shelter team. Make myself available to turn off gas, fight small fires, light search and rescue (in team), medical triage and assist the injured in my immediate area.
6. Pandemic - help self, family, community volunteer (body disposal) via Red Cross. Try not to become a victim.
7. Earthquakes - large, Seattle Fault or subduction zone. Ditto, except I may be dead or injured, or my assistance is likely to stop at neighborhood unless/until I can help my community via Red Cross.
8. Crime / burglary - at the moment my neighborhood's crime rate is abysmally low. Car prowls at the nearby park and ride. That can change obviously, so would my preps.
9. Zombie Apocalypse - slow shambler zombies. We know its coming, be prepared for it. Shovel, baseball bat, and other brain crushing weapons designed to stay out of reach.
10. Zombie Apocalypse - fast running zombies, infect on blood/sputum contact. Hope to be out on a hike with every one of my loved ones, at elevation. Or a fast car, with a full tank of gas. No plans for this. Dig a hole. Get in. Cower. Die. Then live again, sorta...

I'm considering responding with my Red Cross shelter team to some hurricanes and earthquakes elsewhere in the US, to get some experience for when something strikes the Pacific Northwest.

#153436 - 10/27/08 11:25 PM Re: What do you prepare for and not prepare for? [Re: haertig]
SaucyRose Offline
Stranger

I try to prepare for the worse case my can come up with!

not prepare? how can I?

SaucyRose

#153929 - 11/01/08 05:33 PM Re: What do you prepare for and not prepare for? [Re: BobS]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
We're pretty prepared for a most things. Our biggest threats, historically, are a peanut allergy reaction, job loss, car accident, or other medical emergency.

We should be more prepared for a house fire. My extinguishers are old, but still have good pressure and the powder sounds nice and loose. The kids know what to do in a fire but we don't drill them. I work hard to reduce fire threats around the house.

We're less prepared than we could be for a hurricane but our house is in an excellent location and has survived undamaged when others in the neighborhood lost shingles and had tree collapses. It would take an incredible storm surge to even get our carpet wet. We keep enough food and water for a week, important documents and a few hundred bucks of cash are in waterproof bags in a fire safe, and have plenty of flashlights, knives, tarps, tents, etc.

After a pandemic flu exercise, I did add some new supplies just for flu: hand sanitizer and alcohol, gloves and N95 masks, Gatorade mix and Immodium AD. I figure we'd ride it out at home and stay as isolated as possible. Anyone that does get sick mostly needs to stay hydrated and rest and wait it out.

I really don't make any specific preparations for most other natural or man-made hazards. Hurricane prep pretty much covers most of those for us. We can pretty much sit in our house for a week without outside power or water. In 30 minutes we can load up the car and be on the road to go stay with friends or family almost anywhere in the U.S.

I don't plan for the really catastrophic societal collapse anymore. I understand people that have 5 years of nitro-packed food and seeds, but I'm just not spending time worrying about that anymore.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.