Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#153839 - 10/31/08 02:47 PM Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Like I'd said in the recent post, I'm REALLY getting into using cast iron.

I've used my Lodge 12" deep camp dutch oven for a number of years. Some number of years ago I bought a 13.5" skillet, but didn't use it all that much.

Recently, since my wife had some minor surgery and I had to do a lot more of the cooking, out came the cast iron skillet and its gotten a lot more use.

I found the 13.5" skillet kinda big & heavy for many uses, so recently I've purchased the 10.25" skillet, the 12" skillet, the non-camp dutch oven sized so its lid fits the 10.25" skillet (5 quart?), and then a lid for the 12" skillet (for simmering foods). The lid for the 13.5" skillet is too expensive for right now.

Except for the dutch oven, the 10.5" and 12" skillets were only $11 and $17 respectively, and Amazon.com provided free shipping with the order over $25 - that's partially why I got the 12" lid. I think I like the 12" skillet best overall. If you were to get just one I'd recommend the 12" one. As you can tell, I'm really getting into the cast iron thing. Boys & their toys.

Anyway, I've done a bunch of reading on use of plastic vs metal spatulas (burger & pancake turners) on cast iron skillets, and have come to the conculsion that it is OK to use a metal spatula with rounded corners with the skillets - so long as I'm not overly aggressie with scraping the bottoms. From what I've read, the metal spatulas might actually help keep the seasoned surface smoother and even less sticky.

After all, Grandma didn't use a plastic spatula!

So after a few weeks of of using the metal spatula on the skillets I'm happy to report that they don't look any worse for the wear ... and I'm no longer melting plastic spatula edges.

Ken

#153845 - 10/31/08 03:29 PM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Quite right, a skillet is shallow enough that you can keep the spatula at a small enough incline to prevent really gouging the seasoning layer, so long as you are judicious about it. I prefer wooden utensils most of the time, but have to admit to using metal as a convenience, but only after a lot of time spent developing technique sufficient to finally avoid problems. It helps too that the food I use metal utensils with isn't sticking to the pan bad.

#153861 - 10/31/08 07:08 PM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: KenK]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... and I'm no longer melting plastic spatula edges. "

The only one in my family that cooks and has melted plastic utensils is my brother. WHAT are you guys doing???

Sue

#153867 - 10/31/08 08:46 PM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: Susan]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Metal, plastic, wood spatulas, I use them all and don’t worry about the pan at all. After years of use the pans are fine.

I think this is being over thought out, it’s just a pan.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#153868 - 10/31/08 09:13 PM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: BobS]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: BobS

I think this is being over thought out, it’s just a ...

Fill in the blank: It's just a (knife, gun, boar spear, undershirt, first aid kit, plane crash, zombie infestation).

This is the ETS Forum. Over-thinking is what we do. Take away the over-thinking, and this becomes the Better Homes and Gardens forum.

#153869 - 10/31/08 09:22 PM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: nursemike]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
There is a big difference between a knife, gun, boar spear, , first aid kit

And a pan.

It's just a pan...

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#153875 - 10/31/08 09:57 PM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: BobS]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
There is a big difference between a knife, gun, boar spear, , first aid kit

And a pan.

It's just a pan...

I agree, and I love you for believing so. That is why we are ETS Forum Brothers and Sisters. But there are many rooms in Doug's Forum, and we can accept those who equate pans with guns. Silly, I know. Pans are quite mundane. Cookie sheets on the other hand, are critical survival equipment and worthy of much discussion...

#153880 - 11/01/08 12:11 AM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: nursemike]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
It just depends on what you're into.

For me, right now, its cast iron cookware. Tomorrow it might be something else.

But cast iron cookware is pretty unique. It is VERY different from other kinds of cookware. It was used generations ago.

The first seasoning is very cool thing - taking it from a cold steel gray to a warm black finish. As you use it and care for it, well, it matures.

And cast iron gets better as it ages - not worse. It simply NEVER wears out. It will outlast me ... if my children understand and appreciate it.

Trust me, as a Scout leader I've watch boys absolutely TRASH teflon-coated aluminum pans - in only ONE USE!

#153886 - 11/01/08 01:47 AM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: KenK]
TS_Shawn Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
There are a lot of people who you'd be hard-pressed to pry their seasoned cast iron pans out of their cold dead hands.

Cody Lundin discusses cast iron Dutch Ovens in his new book: "When All Hell Breaks Loose -- stuff you need to survive when disaster strikes."

I, too, have become a cast iron devotee this year.

Bought pre-seasoned Lodge, several Dutch Ovens, skillets -- some enamel DO's, too. Love discussing this stuff, thanks.

Trashed the Teflon.

Edited by TS_Shawn (11/01/08 01:50 AM)

#153890 - 11/01/08 03:03 AM Re: Cast Iron Skillet + Metal Spatula [Re: BobS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It's just a pan...

Sometimes it can be a family heirloom.

Rabbit shot with my grandmother's rifle, check.
Rabbit cleaned and skinned with my grandfather's small game knife, check.
Rabbit seasoned with my mother's recipie, check.
Rabbit cooked in my great grandmother's cast iron skillet, check.
Rabbit moved in the pan with the metal spatula my mother had when I was a kid and I saved from going to the land fill when she "upgraded" to silicon ones, check.

I bought the plate. From walmart, for a buck. I don't care about the plate. Do care about the other items.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.