Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#153964 - 11/02/08 02:54 AM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: 7point82]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
I've watched the movies, so I know its canon, but I've always wondered why a gun/rifle can take a zombie down. They're undead, right? Is there some threshold of bodily integrity that switches off their groaning ability?

#153965 - 11/02/08 02:55 AM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: 7point82]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Oh, don't be silly! If I can't say something like that occasionally, I'll lose my standing as the ETS resident... ah... witch.

I knew what you meant. I just couldn't let it pass. grin

I'll bet I'm less PC than you are, nyeah!

Sue

#153977 - 11/02/08 02:02 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with your math and reasoning Martin,,,,,,,,,,

I'm the one that if it can go wrong, or occur on my watch,, it will!!!!!!!!

#154027 - 11/02/08 10:53 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: Susan]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Susan
Oh, don't be silly! If I can't say something like that occasionally, I'll lose my standing as the ETS resident... ah... witch.

I knew what you meant. I just couldn't let it pass. grin

I'll bet I'm less PC than you are, nyeah!

Sue

I'm happy to hear that Sue. grin I don't post that often so I don't know the personalities behind the names. Maybe if I created more than 30 posts a year I would know folks better. blush

#154051 - 11/03/08 03:02 AM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: 7point82]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I will go so far as to say that only those who are willing to take on such responsibility, to make the appropriate commitment to learn and train and make a conscious decision that they won't pull the trigger until it is absolutely necessary, but that when it is necessary, they will not hesitate. This would exclude an awful lot of people in my opinion, especially a lot of folks who think they need a gun for something, but never really take it that seriously. I don't think anyone, including military personnel, should be required to own or possess a firearm. In fact, giving guns to people who shouldn't have them is worse than not arming them at all.

#154074 - 11/03/08 01:31 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: BobS]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: BobS
While your argument holds up for people in general. It may not hold up for any given person. With the right mind-set and actions a person can reduce his or her risk considerably.

At what cost? We all die, sooner or later, but I mean, really, zombies aside, is ANY risk unacceptable? Aren't we the country that went to the moon? That was risky. People died trying. Did you ever swim in the ocean? That's risky - and fun.

I think that the "Fortress Me" attitude is debilitating and leads to all sorts of societal ills.

#154075 - 11/03/08 01:33 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: nursemike]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: nursemike
That's why we have 20 page threads on knives and guns, and zilch on high fiber diets or hypertension.

Excellent point. As I was playing soccer this Sunday with a bunch of 10-year-olds and getting my butt kicked, I thought about this very point. Physical endurance and fitness is so critical to personal longevity.

#154077 - 11/03/08 02:01 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: MartinFocazio]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
Beside the point. Survival prep is a hobby, like stamp-collecting or bird-watching. Except its more fun than either, and chicks dig it more. The person in this village who contributes the most to local survival is the person who runs the water treatment plant-saves us all from giardia and guinea worms. But is he having fun? Do chicks dig potable water processing? Heck no. When we identify a threat scenario to address, we do it based not on probability, but on severity and how cool the gear is. That's why we have 20 page threads on knives and guns, and zilch on high fiber diets or hypertension.

Fine words of wisdom there...

Really, since this is explicitly NOT a survivalist forum it does seem somewhat odd that so many people talk at length about stuff like weapons and self-defense (often expressing pretty strong opinions, too) but very little on the actual day-to-day preparedness stuff.

I for one would also appreciate more discussion on the down-to-Earth topics like working out and proper nutrition, considering that would save many, many more lives in the Western world than any amount of guns, flashlights and "ATAX" gizmos. blush

I've always felt sorry for people who keep several dozen guns at home plus 10 years' worth of supplies but are so obese and out of shape they would die of heart attack if they had to run a couple of miles... Good to keep things in a perspective.

#154176 - 11/03/08 11:55 PM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: Tom_L]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Well, here's my typical day.

I'm an office worker, I wake at 5AM, and am on the road by 5:30. I walk (briskly) 2.4 miles a day (total) to and from the bus station in NYC to my office. I get home at about 7PM, eat dinner, put the kids to bed, deal with the household chores and/or bills or other domestic crises as needed, by then it's 10PM and time for bed. Tuesdays I have fire training drills. I haven't had time to watch a TV show at night since 1999, finding time to work out seems impossible. I play 2 hours of soccer as many Sundays as I can. I ride my bike now and then when it's warm. It's not enough and I know it.

So...here's the deal. Anyone here want to come up with a plan for me? I'll follow it, and even post pictures of the results over the next 12 months. I weigh 202 lbs now, I should weigh 170. I'm strong, bu in an anaerobic way. If I make - and maintain 170 - in the next 12 months, I'll donate $200 to ETS. Any fitness buffs want to remote coach me?

#154187 - 11/04/08 12:37 AM Re: Correct Risk Assessment With Math [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I wish I could help you Martin, truly I do. You just described my life, sort of.

I'm gone 30 days of sitting on my butt or sleeping, with eating just before I go to bed. I carry on your "home routine" for 15 days at home.

What I have done:
At work:
Eat a big breakfast (0530), go to bed, skip lunch (1200), have 4 pieces of buttered toast before I go to bed (1930). I have a couple of small Snicker's Bars during my 5 hr (morning) and 7 hr (afternoon) watch.

At Home:
Eat buttered toast and milk for breakfast, carry out a similar routine as yours although my "work" is at home. Have a sandwich, chips & dip, or fast food for lunch, have an evening walk or bicycle trip around the neighborhood, a light supper.

This seems to be helping at a slow rate. I've been working hard to reduce how much food I have been putting on my plate.

I am going to start "walking the tow" every morning, after breakfast.

I am slowly feeling better, making slow progress, but toning up nonetheless. I feel that there is an urgency for me to be prepared to walk a 1,000 miles very soon, to get home.

I'm trying to better my odds.

BTW, I just dug up my Appreciation Certificate from the 3rd Ranger Battalion & 7th Special Forces Group (A) to keep me focused on getting back into my lean fighting condition that I was in back in 1993!

Good Luck Brother!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.