Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#153695 - 10/29/08 11:50 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: clearwater]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

how about one of those i seen in the catalogs with an end you could cook a pancake on??

#153700 - 10/30/08 12:21 AM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I really like my 12" Ontario, but I think the handle could stand to be improved, ditto for its 18" brother. I've used a Tramontina, and while I think it might have felt better to use, I didn't like having to stop and sharpen it that often. But avoid the walmart specials- they are made out of recycled cookware I think.

In any case, gloves, eye protection, and if you are like clearwater, at lease one greeve is pretty much a must have. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153707 - 10/30/08 01:51 AM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: ironraven]
sotto Offline
Addict

I have one of the longer length Cold Steel kukri style Perang machetes. I took a file to it, and then a couple stones. It'll shave hair and is rugged with a good handle and acceptable sheath. I have used it to cut bamboo poles successfully. It also has a good carving edge close to the handle and a good slicing section near the tip. I like the weight-forward aspect of the kukri design. Helps put power in your stroke, I think. Roger on using gloves when sharpening it with a file....a verrrrrry good idea.

#153724 - 10/30/08 06:05 AM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: sotto]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Frankly, if you have to think about investing in Kevlar pants I'd suggest finding someone who is skilled with a machete and ask him to teach you the correct technique.

#153726 - 10/30/08 08:58 AM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: Tom_L]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Remember that a 'machete' is different to a 'big knife' - maybe plenty of cross over, but specific purpose (especially the type of vegetation to be cut) differs. If you want to clear lots of green stuff, go machete. If you are working primarily with hardwood, you might want something else

#153731 - 10/30/08 01:28 PM Ontario 18" [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Jakam
Unregistered

Comes with a cheap sheath, or sometimes not, bright green, I recall mine had and I ended up having the wife create a more durable (and safer) replacement.

I also got a nice gurkha style from Cutlery Corner.net that had allen screws to removes their cheapy grip and replaced with para cord, good steel, cheap sheath. About 14"? I think it came in one of their over the top 100+ knife packages (I give the cheapies away as gifts and keep the better ones as barter knives).

#153744 - 10/30/08 04:15 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: Tom_L]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Frankly, if you have to think about investing in Kevlar pants I'd suggest finding someone who is skilled with a machete and ask him to teach you the correct technique.

Probably very true.
Having assisted in the repair of self-inflicted machete wounds, table saw digit amputations, and nail-gun injuries, empirical observation suggests the typical victim is an experienced user of the device involved who was either working when too tired to be careful or was working off the clock on a weekend project at home. I have lots of friends who choose not to wear kevlar while on duty, or gloves while starting IV's, based on the rationale that their skills preclude the need. I hope that they are right. On the other hand, chainsaws are currently sold with so many safety devices installed-tip-guards, kick back guards, etc.-that it is nearly impossible to actually cut wood with them. I

#153747 - 10/30/08 05:02 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: nursemike]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
NurseMike-

What were the injuries and mechanism of injury with the
machete's?

#153751 - 10/30/08 05:29 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: clearwater]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I am not a machete expert, I did use one in the double and triple canopy in the tropics though.

My only complaint on machetes, and it is much less critical than the advice above is to find something with wood grips over weak plastic or faux rubber. My hand does not fatigue as fast with a wood handle. The others rattle my hand something fierce.

Perhaps that is just a personal issue rather than technical.

#153760 - 10/30/08 07:24 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: clearwater]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: clearwater
NurseMike-

What were the injuries and mechanism of injury with the
machete's?

Thigh laceration X2, hand lac X1. Mechanism of injury? BFK versus affected part. Cause of injury? Walking and slashing, blade bounced off the tree and hit the leg, holding the branch while cutting the branch.

Post Script: Were these experienced woodspersons, bushcrafty and seasoned? Nope-they were just guys with new machetes. When your only (or newest) tool is a machete, all of your problems look like shrubs.

Took care of a guy who was using a chainsaw (Machete+technology) to lop limbs from the top of a tree while he was suspended at the top of the tree by a rope- lopping proceeded as follows: limb, limb, limb, rope....so he fell 15 feet to the ground, while holding a running chain saw and landed in the foundation planting. Injuries: bruised his shoulder a little. Better to be lucky than good.

Edited by nursemike (10/30/08 07:52 PM)
Edit Reason: post script

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 240 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.