Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#153635 - 10/29/08 04:49 PM who makes a high quality machete?
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I'm almost done reading Yossi Ghinsberg's book "Jungle" in which he survives being lost in the Amazon for about 3 weeks. The story was part of Discovery's "I Shouldn't Be Alive" series. Yossi's story backs up the wisdom of having a machete as your primary tool in the jungle. I have read other accounts explaining how the Amazon natives do everything from cleaning fish to felling trees with their machetes.

All the machetes I've ever seen in person were el-cheapo $4.99 versions with poor sheaths and, I suspect, poor steel. Does anyone have experience/knowledge on truly high quality machetes, or machete-like tools, to share?

#153637 - 10/29/08 04:56 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Lots of folks swear by the Ontario brand.

Mine is a 12" version I got in Panama many years ago, don't know the brand, but it works for me...

#153644 - 10/29/08 05:14 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Not sure, but most of the machetes I have seen have been thick bladed and modestly tempered, intentionally so. The tool is designed to cut through soft foliage and not shatter when you miss and hit a rock. Missed swings that don't find rocks occasionally find thighs-kevlar chaps seem useful for those machetists who cannot curb their enthusiasm.

#153646 - 10/29/08 05:32 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: nursemike]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My preference is the Brazilian made Tramontina, and yes, it's cheap. A machete is supposed to have soft steel for quickly resharpening in the field with a milbastard file. It's going to roll on the edge and get dull.
That big soft, flexible blade is also going to give your arm less vibration that becomes exausting.
Ontario,ColdSteel, Linder are all to RIGID and tend to fracture with hard impact and wear out the user.
The nicely made brit Martindale crocodile line makes several interesting patterns, but costs to much.
You can find vendors for Tramontinas online.
5,000,000 amazon natives can't be all wrong.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (10/29/08 05:34 PM)

#153648 - 10/29/08 05:34 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: nursemike]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

An old, well serviced Collins might be the best you will ever get, they don't make machetes that good any more. smile

Otherwise, Barteaux (French) is pretty much top notch as far as quality, no frills modern working machetes are concerned.

Martindale models may come close but they are tempered slightly softer in general. Some of the Martindales are forged out of thicker stock, not just stamped out of a thin steel sheet, so they are more appropriate for heavier vegetation.

Tramontina is cheap, not nearly as well made but should still be usable. After all it's the stuff that a lot of people in the third world use these days.

Ontario machetes don't really have a good reputation. I hear the grips are especially prone to shattering.

At any rate, avoid stainless steel! A good machete blade needs to be very tough and springy. Carbon steel (say 1050 to 1095 and other simnilar compositions) is the way to go.

#153650 - 10/29/08 05:38 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I bought a $1.99 one 35 years ago and used it for a summer
cutting lines for surveys and trail construction in Washington State. It has soft
steel which is easily sharpened with a file and stone.
Large nicks in the blade from hitting stones don't seem
to effect its function.

Use a pulling stroke, it will do a lot that a hatchet or
pole axe will do and when cutting overhead it will save a lot of energy.

I used a wrist cord so a slip won't have the blade flying
through the air. This is important when working around
others and also is an energy saver. Kind of like the straps
on Cross Country Ski Poles.

Having bounced it several times off my shin and leg, I don't
think chaps are needed. Gloves are tho when you sharpen it.

I have also used it to make snow blocks for a shelter,
similar the the Inuit's man's knife.

#153656 - 10/29/08 06:00 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: clearwater]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Great info guys; thanks.

I forgot to ask: what length machete is considered the most widely useful?

#153660 - 10/29/08 06:27 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Gerber, got mine at Gander Mt, love it, reasonable price, nice sheath.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#153663 - 10/29/08 07:02 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I would agree with Chris. The cheap ones work fine. And you
don't curse if you hit a rock.

If you are going to mostly carry it for occasional use,
then short 12" or so is nice to carry.

If you are going to use it everyday, then a 18+ inch one
cuts better. Wrist size pines in one swing.

#153668 - 10/29/08 07:33 PM Re: who makes a high quality machete? [Re: clearwater]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: clearwater

Having bounced it several times off my shin and leg, I don't
think chaps are needed. Gloves are tho when you sharpen it.

Clearwater has broken the last four thighmasters that he has owned; portions of the fourth are embedded in his living room ceiling. For those with less muscle tone, consider personal protective equipment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.