Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#153643 - 10/29/08 05:14 PM Looking for a metal PSK container
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
All,

I'm on the look out for a metal container no larger then 4"x7"x1.5". Actually, i'd be more happy if it was closer to 1" deep. I would really like for it to be like a sigg box with clasps on the sides (no hinges, etc), but thats not a deal breaker. If its in TI, all the better ;-)

Anyone know of something like that?

If not, anyone know of a person/company that can make custom containers? I really don't want to go this route due to the cost, but i'll be interested if thats my only course.

Thanks all,
Kris

#153659 - 10/29/08 06:21 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Kris]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BCB produces the mini-mess box. This might be a little smaller than you've specified.

http://www.bestglide.com/mini_mess_box_info.html

This fits perfectly into a Lifeventure Passport Wallet to help protect the BCB mini mess tin and provide some addition means of carrying some survival items

http://www.aktive8.com/p/Lifeventure/Travel-Wallets/Passport-Wallet/LV8420.html

Maglite for size reference

Nice fit for the BCB Mini Mess tin Size: 5" x 3.5" x 1"

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/29/08 06:22 PM)

#153661 - 10/29/08 06:40 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
check army/navy surplus stores. They usually will have some tins that are of various sizes that may do. I picked one up last year at a store.

#153664 - 10/29/08 07:04 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: comms]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
That mess tin/lifeventure wallet combo looks pretty sweet. I've already got the tin, but don't carry it in a cargo pocket 'cause I don't want it digging into my leg when going through rough terrain, an experience I had in the army with C Ration cans that I don't care to repeat. Also, the wallet would protect the mess tin.

HJ

#153667 - 10/29/08 07:26 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Hikin_Jim]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
After falling out of my canoe 3 weeks ago...repeatedly...I repackaged everything in a rubbermaid container from the supermarket. DRPSK and FAK subassemblies in ziplock baggies fit inside nicely. Plastic, waterproof, cheap, fits in the man-purse that my EDC has grown to occupy since becoming a reader of this forum.

The canoe thing appears to be a combination of 22 lb hornbeck canoe with no primary stability, a new knee, an old spinal injury, and a genetic lack of grace. Entry and exit are problematic; I weeble along okay once I am in it. The PFD worked nicely, as did the layers of plastic in which I was attired. I guess I will go back to the 70lb fiberglass scow for my next adventure in canoeable suburban waterways.

#153681 - 10/29/08 09:44 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: nursemike]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have several of these:

From Best Glide Aviation that work real well.

#153683 - 10/29/08 10:22 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Too bad Lifeventure isn't available from US sources, as far as I could Google. Anybody know of a domestic source? I have the container already, and use it for my primary survival kit for outdoor day trips, but I haven't a suitable pouch for it yet. I'd like something that would let me carry it on my belt or on a neck strap, when I'm not carrying a daypack or wearing BDUs with roomy pockets. Also, I don't entirely trust the container's gasket (especially since it's overstuffed a bit, naturally), and I'd like to put in a ziplock or alosak, then into some sort of nylon case for carrying.

Jeff

#153684 - 10/29/08 10:23 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: LeeG]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
See if there are any tobacco tins/cigar cases that would suit your purpose. There are a wide variety of them out there. Can't remember where I saw them. I'm sure Google will help.

I have no affiliations with Google, Inc.

My 2 cents.

#153685 - 10/29/08 10:29 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Jeff_M]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Too bad Lifeventure isn't available from US sources...

Jeff

This might be what you have in mind?

#153686 - 10/29/08 10:30 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Kris]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The closest I can think of is the old French mess tin, but as is it is about 2-2.25" deep. To get the depth you want, you'd have to leave out the middle peice (SOP for me) and reshape the handle some (not as easy as it looks, it is either stainless or aircraft aluminum) so it closes over the two outer parts. Maybe the British or Canadian mess tins might work as is, not sure.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153687 - 10/29/08 10:33 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: LeeG]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Go to pawn shops and flea markets, look for the boxes they put tools in (sockets) I have a few that I picked up for almost free. These are metal with a handle on them. I have a few of these, I just measured them and one is 1 ¾ x 4 x 9 inches, and another is about the same, but it’s 14 inches long.

PS these are not waterproof.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#153689 - 10/29/08 10:43 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Yuccahead]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
Too bad Lifeventure isn't available from US sources...

Jeff

This might be what you have in mind?

Thanks, and sorry if I wasn't clear, but I already have the metal container, as listed on your link. I'm looking for a nylon pouch like the British "Lifeventure Passoport Wallet" shown in this thread.

Jeff

#153694 - 10/29/08 11:49 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Jeff_M]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Thanks, and sorry if I wasn't clear, but I already have the metal container, as listed on your link. I'm looking for a nylon pouch like the British "Lifeventure Passoport Wallet" shown in this thread.

I may be soon be able to offer a solution to all you guys looking for the perfect pouch.
Stay tuned to the marketplace forum sometime in the next few months.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#153697 - 10/30/08 12:00 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Jeff_M]
Kris Offline
Addict

Thanks all...

I've been looking for a long time for something and saw what Am_Fear_Liath_Mor has and debating it for a few months. Would just like for it to be a bit bigger. My current psk is 4"x7"x0.75" and just looking for a metal containter to finish out the capablies of the psk (boiling water, etc). I already have a case/pouch that it'll go into.

In fact, I really don't need the container to hold the items of the psk since the psk is modular via alosak bags, two in fact.

Unless there is a better way of boiling water other then the tin foil method (never worked for me). Using a tin foil bread loaf pan, folded; is a better method, but does take up space... where as having a container is dual purpose.

#153699 - 10/30/08 12:11 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: LeeG]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: LeeG
I have several of these:

From Best Glide Aviation that work real well.

The depth is too much, needs to be 1.5" or less. All they sell is the medium and large size (2.4" and 3").

#153701 - 10/30/08 12:29 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Kris]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Does it need a metal lid?

Maybe a small loaf pan, cut down with a dremel, will work? Make a lid out of something, and attach it with a strap or ranger band?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153718 - 10/30/08 04:26 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Kris]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

try looking for a Bento Box..a lunch box from Japan..they make large size ones for men without the Hello Kitty stuff on them.

#153727 - 10/30/08 10:31 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: nursemike]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: nursemike
...fits in the man-purse that my EDC has grown to occupy since becoming a reader of this forum.

No kiddin'! Here's my current EDC man-purse. I'm very happy with the bag's size and its various compartments/pockets and I feel nekkid if it isn't within easy reach.

#153728 - 10/30/08 12:18 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Grouch]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Grouch
...fits in the man-purse that my EDC has grown to occupy since becoming a reader of this forum.

No kiddin'! Here's my current EDC man-purse. I'm very happy with the bag's size and its various compartments/pockets and I feel nekkid if it isn't within easy reach.

Yep. Only mine also holds my tablet computer, so I get to call it my "computer case."

Jeff

#153733 - 10/30/08 01:53 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Jeff_M]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Take a look at this:

PSK Holder

Pete

#153740 - 10/30/08 03:24 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: paramedicpete]
Kris Offline
Addict

Well... how about this idea...
Using a VARGO TITANIUM "Ti-Lite" SIERRA CUP into my psk pouch???

Background why i'm asking:
I'm migrating my psk to the medium sized TacTile Pocket from Maxpedition. And basically its going to house my psk, a mini first aid kit, and a heatsheet bivy (the plain version). And basically carry it over the shoulder when I need to. Other times i'll live in whatever pack/bag i'm using at the time.

I think I can squeeze the Sierra cup in there (its the max depth I can have), but will have to play with it. Does anyone know of a cover (plastic, metal, tupperware-like) that will go over the cup (4.5" wide) and be secure? If so, Then I might be able to migrate some psk items into it and use the space more efficiently.

comments?

#153745 - 10/30/08 04:27 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Love too... But I live in the caribbean and the closest thing to walmart here is nothing like walmart!!!!

I'd have to buy the sierra cup online (since something like that doesn't exist here), and make the rounds at all the places here to find something that would fit... but if someone already found something that would fit, i'd just order it online and save the hassle of trying to find it here (if it even exists).

#153752 - 10/30/08 05:38 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Yeah... not that bad as the Caymans are far more developed then the majority of the Caribbean... but difficult nevertheless.

Hate to fly up to miami just to get a 15 dollar serria cup with cap!!!! I can't justify that to the wife!!!!

#153795 - 10/31/08 01:22 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Kris]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd go the decorated cookie tin route. Lots of sizes and great art on the sides...

#153808 - 10/31/08 02:45 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: TeacherRO]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
teacherRO:
how about this

Titanium 750 ml Sierra Cup by Vargo Outdoors. Lightweight but very sturdy titanium. Not your average Sierra cup, this large version of an old favorite is a design that gets the most out of an alcohol stove. Excellent for use as a solo cooking pot and as a mug for hot or cold drinks. Works very well with Brasslite Stoves. Capacity: 0.75 L (750 ml; 25 oz) Dimensions: 155mm wide x 50mm tall (6.0 in x 2.0 in) Weight (including lid): 126 gm (4.5oz) MSRP Price $39.95
Brasslite Price: $36.00 Clearance Sale $25.00
go to www.brasslite.com

it's got a top that comes with it.

#153874 - 10/31/08 09:48 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Jeff_M]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Grouch

Yep. Only mine also holds my tablet computer, so I get to call it my "computer case."

Jeff

I went most of my life carrying a lockback or sak, feeling pretty well equipped. Then I got here, and gradually the pockets filled with minimaglite, ferrocerium rod, whistle, compass, gerber clutch...the pants started sagging, so i added suspenders to the belt...then I got the murse, permitting edc of the drpsk, fak, wave, bigger mag lite, passport. I use a smaller nylon multipocket bag to avoid the military look, tho it is still big enough to carry the Browning HP and white hunter..if i am willing to drag it behind me rather than actually hang it around my neck. The next step will be one of those wheeled footlockers, I suppose.

There's a sierra cup in murse, too, along with a tiny little meth stove made from a vienna sausage can, some instant coffee, some methanol and a spoon. I sometimes mug up when walking the dog. IDKW. Because I can, I guess.

Edited by nursemike (10/31/08 09:51 PM)
Edit Reason: sierra post script

#153897 - 11/01/08 11:42 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: nursemike]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Try looking at bepreparedtosurvive.com
They have a small tin with lid, 6.5x3.5x2.6 with or without an attached flip over handle for cooking. A larger 7.8x5.1x2.8, no handle option. And a locking 5x3.5x1 model. Cheers!

-Bill Liptak

#153909 - 11/01/08 02:46 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: BillLiptak]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
Try looking at bepreparedtosurvive.com
They have a small tin with lid, 6.5x3.5x2.6 with or without an attached flip over handle for cooking. A larger 7.8x5.1x2.8, no handle option. And a locking 5x3.5x1 model. Cheers!

-Bill Liptak

Looked there, in fact chatting with Denise from bepreparedtosurvive to see if they had anything kicking around that isn't on the site. She went so far to take a seirra cup and try normal household lids for me to see if one would fit!

I'll prob get the 5x3.5x1 tin, but it would be nice if something like that existed that were in the 4x7x1 range.

#153997 - 11/02/08 05:12 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I know how that is. I have family in the Bahamas. The Saunders, my Grandfather (Big muckity muck travel agent in Miami Beach) helped set Billy Saunders (Famous guy down there) up in business in the 1950's with "Majestic Tours" and he built it into a multimillion dollar enterprise. They're cousins of ours.

Cool... it is truly a small world. Is so small that when we leave the island for a shopping weekend up in Miami, we always see folks from Cayman no matter where we go.

#154057 - 11/03/08 03:26 AM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Yuccahead]
Fleetwing Offline
Stranger

Loc: Seattle
I have the mess tin with handle from bepreparedtosurvive.com in my 72-hour BOB. Compact, fits nicely into all sorts of places since it is rectangular, and my Estab stove and tabs (foil wrapped to insulate the smell), broth, tea, cocoa packets, and spork all fit into it nicely too. Rubbermaid appeals to me but I can't use it for anything else like cooking.

Edited by Fleetwing (11/03/08 03:31 AM)

#154109 - 11/03/08 04:51 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

On the plus side you have lots of Conch. I miss Conch. Dive right down, crack the shell on the beach and eat all the white whole.

Its conch season now and leak (sp?) as well. I like to chop up the fresh conch and then put it strait into a very acid marinade (key limes fresh from the tree) with tonnes of sotch bonents and you have yourself a meal that you never get tired of!

There are things that I never get tired of here... especially when its snowing back home right now!!!!

#154148 - 11/03/08 09:04 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

What in God's name are you doing in the Cayman's anyway?

In Grand Cayman, you either work for a Law Firm or Accounting Firm, or your a dive master or a waiter/bar staff... I sold my sole to the law firm gods a while back and they have been quite good to me. I'm just a meger coder trying to stay in pardise for as long as I can. Its a safe island and ripe to raise a family which is what i'm trying to do. Twins on the way!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.