Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#153643 - 10/29/08 05:14 PM Looking for a metal PSK container
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
All,

I'm on the look out for a metal container no larger then 4"x7"x1.5". Actually, i'd be more happy if it was closer to 1" deep. I would really like for it to be like a sigg box with clasps on the sides (no hinges, etc), but thats not a deal breaker. If its in TI, all the better ;-)

Anyone know of something like that?

If not, anyone know of a person/company that can make custom containers? I really don't want to go this route due to the cost, but i'll be interested if thats my only course.

Thanks all,
Kris

#153659 - 10/29/08 06:21 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Kris]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BCB produces the mini-mess box. This might be a little smaller than you've specified.

http://www.bestglide.com/mini_mess_box_info.html

This fits perfectly into a Lifeventure Passport Wallet to help protect the BCB mini mess tin and provide some addition means of carrying some survival items

http://www.aktive8.com/p/Lifeventure/Travel-Wallets/Passport-Wallet/LV8420.html

Maglite for size reference

Nice fit for the BCB Mini Mess tin Size: 5" x 3.5" x 1"

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/29/08 06:22 PM)

#153661 - 10/29/08 06:40 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
check army/navy surplus stores. They usually will have some tins that are of various sizes that may do. I picked one up last year at a store.

#153664 - 10/29/08 07:04 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: comms]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
That mess tin/lifeventure wallet combo looks pretty sweet. I've already got the tin, but don't carry it in a cargo pocket 'cause I don't want it digging into my leg when going through rough terrain, an experience I had in the army with C Ration cans that I don't care to repeat. Also, the wallet would protect the mess tin.

HJ

#153667 - 10/29/08 07:26 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Hikin_Jim]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
After falling out of my canoe 3 weeks ago...repeatedly...I repackaged everything in a rubbermaid container from the supermarket. DRPSK and FAK subassemblies in ziplock baggies fit inside nicely. Plastic, waterproof, cheap, fits in the man-purse that my EDC has grown to occupy since becoming a reader of this forum.

The canoe thing appears to be a combination of 22 lb hornbeck canoe with no primary stability, a new knee, an old spinal injury, and a genetic lack of grace. Entry and exit are problematic; I weeble along okay once I am in it. The PFD worked nicely, as did the layers of plastic in which I was attired. I guess I will go back to the 70lb fiberglass scow for my next adventure in canoeable suburban waterways.

#153681 - 10/29/08 09:44 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: nursemike]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have several of these:

From Best Glide Aviation that work real well.

#153683 - 10/29/08 10:22 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Too bad Lifeventure isn't available from US sources, as far as I could Google. Anybody know of a domestic source? I have the container already, and use it for my primary survival kit for outdoor day trips, but I haven't a suitable pouch for it yet. I'd like something that would let me carry it on my belt or on a neck strap, when I'm not carrying a daypack or wearing BDUs with roomy pockets. Also, I don't entirely trust the container's gasket (especially since it's overstuffed a bit, naturally), and I'd like to put in a ziplock or alosak, then into some sort of nylon case for carrying.

Jeff

#153684 - 10/29/08 10:23 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: LeeG]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
See if there are any tobacco tins/cigar cases that would suit your purpose. There are a wide variety of them out there. Can't remember where I saw them. I'm sure Google will help.

I have no affiliations with Google, Inc.

My 2 cents.

#153685 - 10/29/08 10:29 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Jeff_M]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Too bad Lifeventure isn't available from US sources...

Jeff

This might be what you have in mind?

#153686 - 10/29/08 10:30 PM Re: Looking for a metal PSK container [Re: Kris]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The closest I can think of is the old French mess tin, but as is it is about 2-2.25" deep. To get the depth you want, you'd have to leave out the middle peice (SOP for me) and reshape the handle some (not as easy as it looks, it is either stainless or aircraft aluminum) so it closes over the two outer parts. Maybe the British or Canadian mess tins might work as is, not sure.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.