Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153520 - 10/28/08 07:46 PM Which OTC Med?
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

Some questions along the lines of "If you had to choose just one..."

Aleve Vs Advil: Apparently Aleve is generally preferable as it does the same thing and has a longer duration of effect. Any reason to carry both or prefer Advil?
Zantac vs Prilosec: Prilosec is the new hotness. Are there serious side effects or interactions that would point towards Zantac being better for EDC?
Dramamine vs Bonine: Bonine does what you want but with less drowsiness. When is Dramamine preferable?
Pepto-Bismol: Fluid vs chewable tablts vs swallowed caplets: The best-tasting one is probably the caplet... how much slower/less effective is it compared to the other types?

Without any arguments to the contrary Aleve, Prilosec, Bonine, and Pepto caplets sound like the way to go.

Here's a distillation of what I've learned recently. Please let me know if I'm off base:

Tylenol (acetaminophen) 350mg or 500mg tablet: Safe-ish pain relief for kids, nicer to the stomach, good for fevers and headaches
Aspirin (ASA) 81mg chewable: General pain relief (usually 320-500mg ... take 4-6 chewables?) and aid for heart attacks. Do they have larger doses in chewable form?
Aleve (naproxen)/Advil (ibuprofen): Good for aches and pains (musculoskeletal)

Generic Caffeine (Caffeine) 100mg: Pop a few to stay awake, or take 1/2 to 1 along with the above for extra help against headaches. Lower dosage is intended to help with this second use while avoiding jitters
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl) ?mg: Speaking of sleep, use this to get it. Also great for acute allergies (bee stings etc.) and can be good against seasonal allergies (but makes you sleepy)
Alavert (loratadine)/Zyrtec (cetirizine): Not really an EDC/emergency thing, but while we're on the subject they're apparently good against seasonal/pet allergies

Imodium (loperamide): The king against diarrhea
Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate)/Bonine (Meclizine): Anti-motion sickness
Zantac (Ranitidine)/Prilosec (Omeprazole): heavy duty antacid
Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth subsalicylate): Anti anything else that makes your tummy upset. Are swallowed caplets a decent alternative to the chalky chewables?

There we go: 10 OTCs to almost rule them all. Any suggestions? Where two are listed, which would you choose? Thanks!

#153525 - 10/28/08 08:08 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Prilosec is considered more effective both from what I've read and experienced. I recall a Wall Street Journal story about how the owner of both the Prilosec and Nexium drugs had developed Nexium to prepare for Prilosec's patent expiraton. The company was spending millions advertising Nexium to doctors and patients to get them to switch even though Nexium never out-performed Prilosec.

I also wouldn't think of them as 'Heavy Duty Antacids'. Prilosec takes some time to work (at least a few hours). There are some variations of, IIRC, Zantac that are combined with traditional antacids that are better for immediate relief.

#153526 - 10/28/08 08:09 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I use Advil over Aleve, because Aleve causes problems for me, and the liquid-caps Advil doesn't. I haven't tried the new liquid-caps Aleve yet though, if it doesn't cause a problem I'd prefer it. Before I developed a sensitivity to it, I prefered Aleve.

Prilosec takes longer than Zantac. If you expect to have a problem, use Prilosec. If you are reacting to a problem, take Zantac.

The chewable pepto tablets have never worked very well for me. But they are much more convenient to carry around than the liquid. I haven't tried the caplets.

I don't get motion sickness very easily, so I have no opinion on Dramamine/Bonine. When I have passengers for aerobatics, I usually give them one of those shocker watches. They seem to last longer with that. But everybody gets sick riding along for aerobatics, even instructors if things aren't going as planned.

Big thumbs up on Immodium! I take the kind that also includes Simethicone, which is anti-gas. I think they call it "Immodium Advanced". They used to have a chewable version, but it was NASTY.

#153531 - 10/28/08 08:22 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: GoatRider]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

I'd go diphenhydramine over other antihistamines, for an emergency kit. It has sedating properties for sleeping, anti-nausea properties, and of course for the emergencies, anti-allergic. For such multifunctional use you do generally need the antihistamine to be sedating. Diphenhydramine powder also has analgesis properties (similar to a local anesthetic.)

I like ibuprofen just because it works on me for muscle pain and headaches, more so than aspirin or tylenol. In an emergency situation, I think muscular pain relief is most important and ibuprofen seems to work well for most.

Eric

#153536 - 10/28/08 08:29 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: kirbysdl
Some questions along the lines of "If you had to choose just one..."

Aleve Vs Advil: Apparently Aleve is generally preferable as it does the same thing and has a longer duration of effect. Any reason to carry both or prefer Advil?
Zantac vs Prilosec: Prilosec is the new hotness. Are there serious side effects or interactions that would point towards Zantac being better for EDC?
Dramamine vs Bonine: Bonine does what you want but with less drowsiness. When is Dramamine preferable?
Pepto-Bismol: Fluid vs chewable tablts vs swallowed caplets: The best-tasting one is probably the caplet... how much slower/less effective is it compared to the other types?

Without any arguments to the contrary Aleve, Prilosec, Bonine, and Pepto caplets sound like the way to go.

Here's a distillation of what I've learned recently. Please let me know if I'm off base:

Tylenol (acetaminophen) 350mg or 500mg tablet: Safe-ish pain relief for kids, nicer to the stomach, good for fevers and headaches
Aspirin (ASA) 81mg chewable: General pain relief (usually 320-500mg ... take 4-6 chewables?) and aid for heart attacks. Do they have larger doses in chewable form?
Aleve (naproxen)/Advil (ibuprofen): Good for aches and pains (musculoskeletal)

Generic Caffeine (Caffeine) 100mg: Pop a few to stay awake, or take 1/2 to 1 along with the above for extra help against headaches. Lower dosage is intended to help with this second use while avoiding jitters
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl) ?mg: Speaking of sleep, use this to get it. Also great for acute allergies (bee stings etc.) and can be good against seasonal allergies (but makes you sleepy)
Alavert (loratadine)/Zyrtec (cetirizine): Not really an EDC/emergency thing, but while we're on the subject they're apparently good against seasonal/pet allergies

Imodium (loperamide): The king against diarrhea
Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate)/Bonine (Meclizine): Anti-motion sickness
Zantac (Ranitidine)/Prilosec (Omeprazole): heavy duty antacid
Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth subsalicylate): Anti anything else that makes your tummy upset. Are swallowed caplets a decent alternative to the chalky chewables?

There we go: 10 OTCs to almost rule them all. Any suggestions? Where two are listed, which would you choose? Thanks!

Tylenol - works more on the nervous system than musculoskeletal system, hence "pain/fever relief" without the anti-inflammatory effects of Aleve/Advil/Aspirin. However, max dosage is 4000mg daily. So, for those of you taking Norco or Vicoden, watch the acetominophen content in those as well, as it adds up!

Aleve/Advil - whichever. Personally, Aleve didn't work for me. Watch out for stomach ulcers if you use it too much. 24 hour coverage versus 4-6 hour. BTW, works for pain and fever just like tylenol. Theoretically, Advil could be used in a pinch for heart trouble (in lieu of Aspirin), but you'd have to repeat the dose.

Aspirin - same as Advil, but better cardiac effects. standard dose is 325 mg (that's 4 baby Aspirins).

Benadryl - generation 1 antihistamine. More sedative effects than a Gen. 2, like Claritin or Zyrtec. Theoretically you could use any of the 3 to treat allergies. Benadryl used cuz it sedates the patients (a sleeping patient is an easy patient!)

Caffeine- sure, helps with headaches, just like Excedrin. Or just drink a cup of coffee - roughly 100mg caffeine, depending how strong you like it.

Pepto/Zantac/prilosec- different methods of working, all antacids though. I would assume Pepto works fastest while the other 2 are better for "chronic" indigestion - the aluminum in Pepto can cause problems long term.

That's off the top of my head. Any other healthcare providers, correct me if I'm mistaken!

#153538 - 10/28/08 08:34 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
IMHO/YMMV:

Er docs often order full doses of acetaminophen and ibuprofen simultaneously for fever reduction and occasionally pain control. No cross-overdosing, different pharmacology, quite effective: take both. Subsequent doses are skewed cuz acet is given every 4, ibu every 6-8, hours

Aleve/naproxen is longer-acting than ibuprofen, but no more effective. Either can cause stomach irritation/bleeding. Take the ibu, it's cheaper.

You can chew any size aspirin if you are desperate enuf.

dramamine/bonine is a wash. Dramamine puts you to sleep, and nausea is much less troublesome to the sleeping.

H2 blockers-zantac, prilosec are effective and pretty safe. Pepcid/famotidine is effective, safe and cheap.

Alavert et al are approximately 15% as effective as a benadryl. their claim to fame is the non-drowsiness factor. Doesn't matter which one you choose, if any.

pepto-bismol is 19th century pharmacology. Use pepcid et al for GERD. use loperamide for diarrhea, use maalox/tums as an antacid, leave the pepto at home. Enough of it turns the stool black and scares you.

Generic caffeine-only if you tend to dose off during crises. Ups your chances of needing the h2 blockers, antacids, and loperamide, especially if used in conjunction with aspirin or nsaids. Take the caffeine-enhanced snickers bars instead.

#153540 - 10/28/08 08:47 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Speaking as somebody with Asthema, allergies and gastric reflux, I can make comments on some of these. After decades on various prescription drugs, some things cease working after a while, so I've gotten switched around a bit.

Tylenol (acetaminophen) Best for sinus headaches

Aleve (naproxen)/Advil (ibuprofen): Prefer Advil for muscle aches, etc. Didn't seem to get much impact from Aleve, but didn't do extensive testing.

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl) - On me, ineffective for general allergy symptoms any more. Keep it around for emergencies.

Alavert (loratadine)/Zyrtec (cetirizine) - Currently on Zyrtec after Claritin became ineffective, seems to work well enough

Imodium (loperamide): Keep for emergencies, always seems to work.

Zantac (Ranitidine)/Prilosec (Omeprazole): Was on Zantac until it became ineffective. Now on Nexium, works GREAT! Never tried Prilosec.

#153546 - 10/28/08 09:45 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
To put my two cents in, I can comment on Aleve and Prilosec out of the products you listed. I used to use Motrin but when that made my stomach bleed my pharmacist recommended Aleve. Now i swear by them and they even work better than Motrin. On the subject of Prilosec you might like to be aware that here in Michigan I can get the generic Omeprazole over the counter now at a significant savings and they work just as good. I've been on both these medications for years now and I consider them medicine cabinet staples.

Edited by Stoney (10/28/08 09:50 PM)

#153547 - 10/28/08 09:47 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: nursemike]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
+1 on Maalox. It will knock down a severe bout of acid reflux in short order. I used to take Prilosec but didn't like the idea of taking a daily dose for only occasional problems. Now I just down Maalox (liquid or tablets) whenever AR rears its ugly head and it's usually gone within 10 minutes. I keep Maalox in my vehicle, in every bugout bag, at my desk at work, at home... it's rarely more than an arm's length away.

#153558 - 10/28/08 10:33 PM Re: Which OTC Med? [Re: kirbysdl]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My ten would be similiar. I'd go with advil over aleve, but rather than the alavert/zyrtec option or the pepto (worthless for me), I'd rather add real, behind the counter sudafed (works better than benadryl with my allergies) and some kind of cough reliever/mucus buster.

I'd also toss in some emer'gen'c or a multivitamin w/ potassium (I have a hard time keeping enough potassium in me for some reason), and a small vial of salt (multipurpose).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.