Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#153588 - 10/29/08 02:59 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Very difficult to find that information about the deadliest car. I found the Chevy Blazer as the worst. Another site said the Dodge Neon. Couldn't find any official statistics to back it up though.

EDITED:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/04/iihs_lists_dead.html

Seems like the Acura RSX is the deadliest car, right behind the Chevy Blazer.

Is that what you were looking for?

Edited by ki4buc (10/29/08 03:03 AM)

#153589 - 10/29/08 03:11 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: ki4buc]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I have no idea what the car is, but the Crown Vic comes to mind. They've been around a long time (without getting a lot of the latest safety equipment) and they're often used by police (chases) and in livery/fleet situations (often times people don't use seat belts in cabs/limos). So I could see them being involved in a lot of fatal crashes.

Again, just a guess, I have no idea.

#153592 - 10/29/08 03:56 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: haertig]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...the dad is head of some emergency medicine operation. That would indicate to me that he's not a Neanderthal in the brain department. So the fact that this could happen while he was present is really mystifying to me."

Why? Intelligence and common sense are two entirely different things. I know people who have an I.Q. over the genius level, and they still confound me eith the incredibly stupid decisions they make.

Sue

#153595 - 10/29/08 04:04 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Susan]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Just because a guys a doctor doesn’t make him smart. When I was in high school I worked at a service station that catered to well off people. Lots of times you would explain what you were doing to an auto and it amazed me that a doctor could not understand a simple mechanical thing like a water pump or differential.

I use to joke about it to never go to any of these doctors. If they can’t understand how a water pump works, how do they understand the human body???

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#153599 - 10/29/08 05:08 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There are some parents who put their kids in danger all the time.

Some parents will put their 3-year-old in the driver's seat of an ATV and turn them loose. They are still leaving them in hot cars and alone in bathtubs. You still see them driving along with kids loose in the back seat. They let their kids run up to and grab unknown dogs. They take them out onto the water without safety vests. They tease and torment them into doing things they don't want to do. They put them in danger while feeding their own egos.

Maybe Munchausen by Proxy is more common that currently believed.

Cynical Sue

#153609 - 10/29/08 12:05 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
When I was twelve, I had a friend who I shared a school locker with. He and his family were avid hunters, and I really admired the way he and his dad were together, and how willing his dad was to teach him about firearms and give him responsibilities, like cleaning them after they used them. My daughters were raised similarly, though they considered it more of a chore than I ever did. Occasionally I would get invited to go shoot skeet or some such, and would relish the cleaning experience almost as much.

On a Tuesday morning in 7th grade, I got called to the principal's office. There I was informed that I had to clean all my friend's items out of the locker and put them in a box to return to the office. Bewildered, I did as told, and when I returned, I was brought into the counselor's office, where I was told how my friend had been cleaning a shotgun unsupervised, as he had done a number of times before, and forgot to check if it was loaded, which it was, and shot himself in the face and died. A numbing shock was all that I could feel. I had no idea what to do after that. Subsequently I was not allowed to contact the family, nor did my parents let me attend the funeral. That pissed me off some, but I was also a bit relieved, because knowing his father, I knew he was eating his guts and would be for a long time, and even naive as I was about a lot of things in life then, I knew that to see them would be quite uncomfortable for me. I never cried for my friend, but I regret the time we lost finishing our childhood together, and how much it changed the outcome of my life while he was alive, and how horribly terrible it would feel if ever I faced that situation as a dad. I eventually discovered that his family moved away within the year, and he gave up shooting sports for the most part.

There is no court in the land that will try and convict this poor man anywhere nearly as much as his own conscience is doing and will continue to do to him the rest of his days. He is facing a life sentence, no parole, no leniency, no hope. He will face it every time he looks into the eyes of his wife, any other children he might have, or even the children of others. No penalty any other man on earth could impose, legal or not, will ever weigh as heavily on this poor soul as what he will do to himself. No one here would ever want to go through what he must now face. He made a mistake, and his son paid the price. That is not an accident, it is a mistake, and it is part of being human.

Any of you who have the faith, I would advise praying for this poor soul. He and his family are going to need a lot of help.

#153612 - 10/29/08 01:04 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: nursemike]
HerbG Offline

As somebody has already mentioned, youtube.com is filled with videos of people doing incredibly stupid things with firearms! There are little kids being bullied into shooting magnums that knock them down so the "adults" can laugh at them. Just about any unsafe gun handling practice you can think of is recorded for posterity. That is why I never go to a public range any more.

#153619 - 10/29/08 01:31 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: HerbG]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I understand your concern. For the same reason, I chose to become a range officer and a hunter education instructor, in the hopes that I could help correct some of this egregious behavior.

#153622 - 10/29/08 02:07 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: benjammin]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: benjammin
There is no court in the land that will try and convict this poor man anywhere nearly as much as his own conscience is doing and will continue to do to him the rest of his days. He is facing a life sentence, no parole, no leniency, no hope. He will face it every time he looks into the eyes of his wife, any other children he might have, or even the children of others. No penalty any other man on earth could impose, legal or not, will ever weigh as heavily on this poor soul as what he will do to himself. No one here would ever want to go through what he must now face. He made a mistake, and his son paid the price. That is not an accident, it is a mistake, and it is part of being human.

Very well said.

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Any of you who have the faith, I would advise praying for this poor soul. He and his family are going to need a lot of help.

Amen.

That must have been really tough to lose your friend as you did; I thank you for sharing that story. I think it's really cool though that you now work to try to prevent such things.

#153625 - 10/29/08 03:23 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: HerbG]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: HerbG
That is why I never go to a public range any more.

Not all public ranges are bad. I have one near me that is run extremely well. Quite a tight ship. I have no qualms about shooting there. But I suppose "public range" can mean just about anything. Including a bunch of yahoos shooting into a dirt hill informally.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.