Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#153559 - 10/28/08 10:42 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: nursemike]
LED Offline
Veteran

This makes me think of how ridiculous it is that with digital cameras everywhere, everyone wants to take pictures of everything. At what point do we miss the experience cause we're trying so hard to capture it?

#153562 - 10/28/08 11:03 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: KenK]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: KenK
Having never shot a true automatic...
Has it been established that this was indeed a fully automatic weapon? Typically, Uzi's in the US are semi-automatic. Full automatic weapons are highly regulated in the US. You can own them, but you have to have special permits, a lot of hassles, pay fees, etc. Fully automatic weapons are pretty rare in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

UPDATE: OK, strike that. It was specifically a machine gun shoot. It probably was full auto.

Sigh. Now the anti-gun crowd will want to seize on this and ...

#153565 - 10/28/08 11:26 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Nishnabotna]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Concur.

Although in the spirit of full disclosure, when I was 8, I was already firing an Garand from a rest. But I was seated- it was almost as long as I was tall.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153566 - 10/28/08 11:27 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Hikin_Jim]
gizmojumpjet Offline
Opposed to Bears

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Originally Posted By: KenK
Having never shot a true automatic, would I be correct to assume that a longer barrel would have been inately more safe since the business end of the barrel would have moved above his head rather than below it?

Also, are uzi's "supposed" to be fired straight-armed? Kind of like a pistol? If so, would that mean the gun's tip could/should have moved above his head rather than below his head?

Ken K.

Uzis are meant to be fired from the shoulder. They generally have a fixed or collapsible stock. I got to fire a suppressed full auto Uzi a couple of. Muzzle climb wasn't terrible, but I fired short bursts it had an extra foot or so of metal hanging off the muzzle.

What a tragedy.

#153569 - 10/28/08 11:47 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: haertig]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: haertig
What gets me is the dad is head of some emergency medicine operation. That would indicate to me that he's not a Neanderthal in the brain department. So the fact that this could happen while he was present is really mystifying to me.

No, not a Neanderthal, but doesn't make him an expert in automatic weapons, or weapons in general. Having been involved in aviation safety, I know doctors and lawyers can afford "toys" in which they are not expert, don't have/get the training they should have, and can get themselves in situations beyond their ability to deal effectively. Perhaps he was new to the Uzi and that's why the instructor was there. And they allowed the child to play w/ Dad's new gun.

In any respect, it's a sad situation for the family and the instructor. And yes, the antis will use it to their advantage.

#153570 - 10/28/08 11:55 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: gizmojumpjet]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Uzi's are meant to be be shoulder fires, using either a non-collapseable wooden stock or a metal one that can. It can also be fired without the stock, either not engaging the metal collapseable one or removing the wood standard one. The uzi is very "heavy" vs the size/power of the 9mm round it fires. Muzzle climb normally isn't a problem, its heavy enough that the uzi gently rocks rather than climbs. Without any of us being there we will never know why this tragedy occured. I have supervised over 2 dozen machine gun shoots for Florida Ammo Traders when the previous owner still had his class 2 licence. I have braced many an inexperienced shooter. Either placing my foot behind theirs, hand on back or one hand on hip standing close with an arm ready to grab a raising barrel. Always had a mechanics heat glove to protect from the heat of the weapon, luckily never had to grab an errant barrel.
And yes, I've had 8 to 12 year olds fire our uzi's as its the only "safe" machine gun we owned for a younger, weaker person to control, that we were comfortable with. Look at some of the news reels and you'll see children in Africa and the Middle East with AK-47's, full auto. A true tragedy at the least. My sympathies go out to the dad and brother who had to witness this and deal with it. As well as the others there that day.

-Bill Liptak

#153573 - 10/29/08 12:36 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: BillLiptak]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

According to news reports the weapon being used by the 8 year boy was a micro Uzi.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0k6y8VOjOhc

Judging from this video the weapon appears to have has a nasty tendacy to pull up even when an adult is using the weapon. If the stock isn't correctly deployed or the stock slips from the shoulder due to recoil then I suspect this weapon would easily rotate especially in the hands of a child.

The father was apparently 10 feet away attempting to take some photographs or video. Youtube is full of videos showing very young children firing extremely powerful weapons.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sgioghA1QEc&feature=related

And yes there are videos of very young children firing full automatic Uzi's while the photographer is in the front right quarter taking the video eek.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s6BV8P0nNas&feature=related

So I guess this type of story doesn't really surprise me.

#153581 - 10/29/08 01:46 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Anyone beside OBG know the US car involved in the most fatal accidents?

Anyone know why?

#153582 - 10/29/08 02:20 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
TomP Offline
Journeyman

Good question. I suspect it is the one with the most models on the road or more accurately the one with the most miles driven per year?

#153585 - 10/29/08 02:52 AM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: TomP]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Sometimes an accident is just that, an accident.

I feel sorry for the family, I could not imagine loosing my son.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Eugene, Jeanette_Isabelle), 234 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.