Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#153517 - 10/28/08 07:39 PM Re: Why no diesel motorcycles? [Re: BobS]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: BobS

Did you ever listen to a Harley? Those things can be extremely obnoxious as far as noise. My back yard patio set is 250-yards from the main city street, and at times Harleys going by stops my brother and I from being able to hear each other while talking from across the table (5-feet apart). I can’t see a diesel bike being more intrusive or obnoxious then that.

I was referring to DOT certification. Not illegal local muffler removal.

Edited by unimogbert (10/28/08 07:39 PM)

#153522 - 10/28/08 07:52 PM Re: Why no diesel motorcycles? [Re: Arney]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
There have been plenty of diesel motorcycles produced over the years, unfortunately they have never been very popular stateside. The big issues being they're very underpowered and quite heavy for their size. Not really a good combination on a motorcycle. With forced induction (turbo/supercharger) the HP can be improved, but that just adds more complexity and weight.

The other thing too, is they are sometimes a PITA to start. Diesel engine have very high compression meaning you either need a compression release that you'll have to fiddle with to get it pull/kick started, or it needs a powerful electric start. Again, adding weight and complexity.

The another thing is cost. A small diesel will cost quite a bit more than a similar gas engine will, while still being vastly underpowered. With two stroke gas engines being so cheap, powerful, simple, and relatively reliable...diesels never really stood a chance.

With that said, if you really want one you could probably build one. Motorcycles are pretty simple in design, if you could find an engine that will fit and has enough power, you can probably get it to work somehow. There are plenty of guys who have built diesel mini-bikes, converted motorcycles to diesel, converted two strokes to run on diesel, ect. If you really want one it isn't impossible to get one. It just depends on how crafty you are and/or how much money you're willing to spend.

Personally, I would love to have one, just because I have huge tanks of diesel for the business, so it really wouldn't cost me much to keep it running and I could fuel it up right at my yard. Plus, if worst comes to worst, 5,000+ gallons of diesel could keep a diesel bike running for a long time. It's the same reason I have a diesel truck. In an emergency/disaster I wouldn't have to wait in gas/fuel lines. I can just fill up at my pump and go. grin

#153533 - 10/28/08 08:25 PM Re: Why no diesel motorcycles? [Re: BobS]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: BobS
Originally Posted By: SirJoel
To comply with the NATO rules... lets see one designed for the other option.
Aviation Fuel should allow it to go Faasssttttt...

Aviation fuel (jet fuel) is kerosene, it’s just a cleaner version of diesel fuel. No big jump in horse power with it.

Let's not confuse matters with FACTS. Jets are fast, so jet fuel in a motorcycle should make the motorcycle fast. It's just common sense!

#153537 - 10/28/08 08:32 PM Re: Why no diesel motorcycles? [Re: GoatRider]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: GoatRider
Jets are fast, so jet fuel in a motorcycle should make the motorcycle fast. It's just common sense!

I sense the need for a new post--Why no jet motorcycles? grin

Oh! I take that back. Why no jet motorcycles except for Jay Leno's jet motorcycle?

#153543 - 10/28/08 09:26 PM Re: Why no diesel motorcycles? [Re: ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

Three wheeled diesel euro utility vehicle
Ape (pronounced ah-pay)

Lacks perhaps the bravura of a motorcycle. Cute though.

#153601 - 10/29/08 08:14 AM Re: Why no diesel motorcycles? [Re: nursemike]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Interesting website re diesel motorbikes
http://www.dieselbike.net/

Though as others state above, there dont seem to be any mass produced readily available models

#153626 - 10/29/08 03:24 PM Re: Why no diesel motorcycles? [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I think he mentioned wanting to use those mini-jet turbines they use in Europe to fire those big pumps for water control.

Wow, Jay Leno has two Jet Cycles? He certainly has a fine collection of rare and very interesting vehicles. I like his steam powered cars.

By the way, do you know, are the motorcycles actually pushed forward by the jet exhaust, or do the jet engines simply produce mechanical energy, like the jet-turbine engine in a helicopter? I suspect that it just turns the wheels but I don't know for sure.

#153937 - 11/01/08 07:59 PM SPAM [Re: Arney]
georges Offline
Stranger

Loc:
SPAM

Edited by Doug_Ritter (11/01/08 09:38 PM)

#154071 - 11/03/08 01:09 PM Re: SPAM [Re: georges]
utspoolup Offline

There are diesel motorcycles, but they are just not as common. HDT supplies them to the Marinees, and here is a write up on them. http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/02/28/nyt-test-drives-the-marines-diesel-motorcycle/ They remind me of a turboed drag car, they take a second to get going, but then they go. As the report says, they are going ahead on a civilian version. Pretty sweet I think.

As to the illegal muffler thing. Every state/ county/ and most the time city, has its own rules. In SLCounty Utah, a motorcycle can be as loud as it wants. There are no rules for this, they must just pass basic safety. No IM or soundchecks. However if you have a altered muffler on any other type of motorvehicle in SLCity, then you run the risk of being pulled over for 12.28.100 that says if your exhaust "increases, amplfies, or alters the sound of the exhaust" you are in violation. I know speed bumps that can alter the sound of exhaust in the city.

#154123 - 11/03/08 06:02 PM Re: SPAM [Re: utspoolup]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Leno also has a car powered by the same helicopter turbine that powers his jet motorcycle. He brought it to a local weekly car show a few months ago while it was being built.

Fun to play with but don't stand behind him when he fires it up...

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.