Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#153634 - 10/29/08 04:46 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: haertig]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Any type of public place will vary according to who runs it and what they allow to happen. My local range, staffed by volunteers, has never been problematic.

#153640 - 10/29/08 05:00 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Heck, I have had doctors stop at accident scenes to "help." Some were so far removed from emergency trama medicine that I had to run them off, they did more harm than good. A doctor who couldn't even doctor...

#153652 - 10/29/08 05:42 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My AAA insurance agent, severl CHiP acquaintances hold the FORD Mustang + a young male driver, full of testosterone and lacking experience their anecdotal #1 killer combination.

My point, uzis and inexperienced kids OR adults don't mix well.

#153673 - 10/29/08 08:05 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: nursemike]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Quote from article: "Francis Mitchell, a longtime member and trustee of the club, said he was told the boy's father was supporting his son from behind when the incident happened".

That part of the news report is a report of hearsay. We do not actually know if he was or was not.

Also: It would appear that either he was allowed to fire a fully automatic weapon, or the weapon itself was defective.

I personally do not have issues with introducing boy's of that age to firearms. The younger they are taught to understand and respect them the better.

But it would appear to me that the instructor also has a great deal to answer for.

Part of me thinks that the instructor and the father should do the decent thing. The rest of me thinks that would be far too easy an out for them.

#153675 - 10/29/08 08:19 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Part of me thinks that the instructor and the father should do the decent thing. The rest of me thinks that would be far too easy an out for them.

What is "the decent thing"? I don't understand what you're getting at.

#153677 - 10/29/08 08:46 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The damage has been done. All who were directly involved in this error are going to pay, no question about it. Anything more that could be done to them at this point is like stepping on a spider a second time. The best society can do is try to learn from this experience and help others avoid such an outcome, which doesn't necessarily imply prevention.

I take decent thing as a terminal event.

#153678 - 10/29/08 09:07 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Part of me thinks that the instructor and the father should do the decent thing.
Decent thing? Do you mean suicide? Adding intentional self-homocide to accidental? Compounding one tragedy with another hardly seems helpful.

#153682 - 10/29/08 10:11 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
[snip]
That part of the news report is a report of hearsay. We do not actually know if he was or was not.

It's ALL hearsay, from news reporters. Until the principles tell their story, preferably under oath, we are all just speculating on hearsay.

[snip]

In my not particularly humble opinion, suicide is for losers and the terminally ill with intractable pain. It's not for husbands and fathers of children. (although I regard suicide as a fundamental human right)

I agree with Hikin' Jim. It just compounds the tragedy. The dad needs to cowboy up, face the consequences, and try to help his wife, surviving son, and remaining family cope.

As for the instructor, he may have more legal exposure than the father.

I will withhold judgment until the facts are fully developed and reported, and say a prayer for all who were touched by this tragic event.

Jeff

#153690 - 10/29/08 11:10 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Heck, I have had doctors stop at accident scenes to "help." Some were so far removed from emergency trama medicine that I had to run them off, they did more harm than good. A doctor who couldn't even doctor...

The paramedic's rules for unknown doctors on scene:

1. They are all proctologists, not emergency medicine types, until proven otherwise.

2. Never turn your back on an unknown doctor.

Jeff

#153696 - 10/29/08 11:50 PM Re: Eight year old boy killed while firing an uzi [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
snoman Offline

A friend's father once owned a 427 Cobra, a hot little car from back when I was a kid. I remember reading somewhere that about 10% of the people that bought them didn't live long enough to make the first payment! shocked

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.