Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#153477 - 10/28/08 02:38 PM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: haertig]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: BobS
I didn’t get it, I must not be as important as all of you…

Naaahhh... You just don't put your email address in your ETS profile. Neither do I (on purpose), and I didn't get the spam either. Notice that all the people here who got the spam have their email address in their profiles. There are all kinds of software robots and spiders that crawl websites/forums looking for personal information like this. If you click on a link in such spam, or reply to it, there's a 99% chance that you just moved yourself from "potential target" to "verified target" in somebodies database. They get more money selling verified targets to other spammers.

I have gotten e-mails from ETS members but they come through the ETS system to my personal e-mail address.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#153480 - 10/28/08 02:53 PM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: BobS]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I got it yesterday. Deleted it.
So far that is the only spam from this site. Guess I will leave my e-mail in the profile unless this becomes a continuing problem.

nomad

#153485 - 10/28/08 04:31 PM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: Nomad]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Got it, and deleted unopened.

#153495 - 10/28/08 06:08 PM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Do we take it that ETS has been virused?
Probably not. There's nothing to suggest that the ETS site's code has been compromised. The spammer probably just harvested (copied) email addresses off the ETS site. To actually get into site and hack the code can be done, but it's a far more sophisticated kind of attack, and getting into a site isn't typically a spammer's purpose; a spammer generally just wants your email address.

#153496 - 10/28/08 06:08 PM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: Stu]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I got it too... deleted it.

#153521 - 10/28/08 07:50 PM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: Themalemutekid]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Those of you who have your email address visible as-is are just asking for spam. Even something as simple as I did, adding "nospam" to the start of the domain, kept me from getting this spam. But I decided to remove even that. In the unlikely event someone here wants to reach me they can send me a PM.

#153578 - 10/29/08 01:21 AM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: Roarmeister]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Yeah, I got it as well and ignored it.

But I'm embarrassed to admit that I even opened it (unsolicited email from someone that I didn't know).

They dangled the "preparedness" worm in front of me and I went for it.

Bad fish "slaps own fin", naughty fish....

#153587 - 10/29/08 02:56 AM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: samhain]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
On a side note, the email that I use on here is a separate address specifically used for "handing out" over the internet or using in situations where the email might be suspect. That way, if I end up having to drop it for any reason, it doesn't really matter.

I also have an old cheap computer that I run a Linux distro on. When I want to check something questionable (say, an email), I'll check it on there. Again, because it runs Linux it isn't usually effected by windows based viruses or issues and since I don't keep anything important on there, it doesn't really matter to me if something does happen.

With email addresses being so simple (and often free) to get as well as old, but functional, computers being so cheap, it's a great way to help avoid viruses and other issues. As well as to increase your security.

First and fore most though, make sure you have multiple secure backups of anything important; digital and on hard copy if possible. Technology likes to fail at the worst possible time. smile

#153899 - 11/01/08 12:24 PM Re: Did anyone else get this email? [Re: Paul810]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Nope, didn't get it laugh

-Bill Liptak

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.