Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#152686 - 10/21/08 03:48 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Alan_Romania]
RainHiker Offline
Stranger

Google Duluth Trading Co. Bamboo knife, does cry knife but not Rambo. This companies knives draw about as much attention as a screw driver.

[img]http://www.duluthtrading.com/services/image.aspx?path=/media/images/products/69186.jpg&width=250[/img]
Bamboo Knife

[img]http://www.duluthtrading.com/services/image.aspx?path=/media/images/products/69137.jpg&width=500[/img]
Hack knife

Using a batoning method you could hack through anything with these. If not pull the pocket chain saw off your belt.

#152688 - 10/21/08 03:55 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Chisel]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Consider a Gerber LMF II.

#152704 - 10/21/08 04:42 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Chisel]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

#152705 - 10/21/08 04:44 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: acropolis5]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Various gardening and tool catalogs carry the japanese gardening tool. It's a stout trowel with spear point, one side serrated. The full tang extends @ 50% into a simple wood slab handle.The thing is made of a simple carbon steel, easy to sharpen.It cuts, digs, stabs and saws roots very well and is diret cheap.

#152748 - 10/21/08 08:02 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Chisel]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Chisel
The knife should be a bit thick and have a tanto head with a FULL straigh blade and a FULL saw on the other side.

Are you using it as a prop in a movie???

Have you thought about buying an axe and duct taping a bow saw to it?

#152795 - 10/22/08 03:59 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: KenK]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Great ideas.
I may end up buying more than one item.

Guess what I have found yesterday in a garage sale !

Its a FIXED knife with
a FULL straight edge,
FULL serrated edge, and
a FULL length saw !
Plus mini pry bar, and can opener ..etc.

Now did I count things correctly ?
Three full lengths of blades in one fixed knife ?
Yes.

It looks like any fixed knife (4-5 inches) with a handle. The handle splits in two halves and they rotate 180 degrees to cover either the tang or fixed blade.

The tang is not the normal rectangular piece of metal found in other knives. Rather, it is a blade with one side serrated and the other has saw teeth. The tip is pry-bar-shaped with a can opener on the side.

So, you rotate the handle twin halves and they cover the knife blade. Then what you get is a "tool" that doesnt look much like a knife but a straight one-piece "multi-tool". When you rotate the half handles back to cover the multi-tool, this thing becomes just like any other fixed blade knife.

I'll try to post a picture.

Its made of stanless steel. And only says (Stainless - USA) Nothing else. I am not worried much about losing the edge and how hard it is to sharpen, since I will only use it occasionally and save it for a last resort asset in the BOB.

The handle is OK, but I'll try to find some sort of sleeve to contain its two halves ( they have a lock to keep them together, but still). Also, I have to find a sheath for this thing.

Having found this thing does NOT mean I have stopped searching.
I'll still appreciate more suggestions. I really really liked a number of them especially the ones with "non-knife" concept.

Thank you again folks.

#152799 - 10/22/08 04:37 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Alan_Romania]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
That EOD tool is pretty slick and cheap.

#152801 - 10/22/08 04:39 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Chisel]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
What you described reminds me of two knives. First, the Sog Revolver:

as well as the Pacific Cutlery 983:

Sounds interesting.

#152806 - 10/22/08 05:35 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Paul810]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
Its made of stanless steel. And only says (Stainless - USA) Nothing else. I am not worried much about losing the edge and how hard it is to sharpen, since I will only use it occasionally and save it for a last resort asset in the BOB.

If you think about this however... Don't you think you'd want the best tool available in a real emergency?

I don't know about everybody else but I always pick quality, time proven gear for backup. A lot of folks believe a knife that doesn't hold an edge or is difficult to sharpen is perfectly ok for their BOB. As long as your backup gear is stowed away and never used it doesn't matter. But should you really find yourself in a bad spot all the details that don't seem important right now will become critical. And if your gear doesn't perform well it might make the difference between life and death. That's why skimping on your backup systems is a bad idea.

BTW, no knife with a revolving or somehow interchangeable blade works well for prying or digging in my experience. But the Japanese gardening tool is a good idea. So is a Woodman's pal. A small axe could be used for almost all the tasks you have in mind and it would be excellent at some of them at least. I don't think any of those options would look any more out of place in the back of a car than a big, exotic looking knife but then again, I understand your personal situation could be different. Best of luck and stay safe!

#152810 - 10/22/08 07:55 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

They come in $20-40 range (also in stainless steel), and are called Hori-Hori (Literal Japanese translation “dig dig”)

http://www.nisaku.co.jp/njc/garden/knife/0650-LeisureKnifeN/0650.html

And here's the big brother, YAMA-KATANA ((n) woodman's hatchet)

Sure looks tempting

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.