Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#153065 - 10/24/08 03:56 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: clearwater]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: clearwater
I wear a pair of thin socks OVER my smart wools...

Interesting. What's the logic behind wearing the thin layer outside of the thick layer? Or how did you start wearing them this way?

#153071 - 10/24/08 04:37 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Alan_Romania]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Great input from everyone!! Perhaps the bottom line on the one vs. two sock debate is to find out what works for you. I have skinny feet, so I'll probably be wearing double socks for the foreseable future. One thing seems clear: Smartwool is really popular.

Originally Posted By: Russ
Another reason to go with a thin synthetic layer covered by wool is that a single pair of wool socks can go quite a while without cleaning by keeping clean layer next to your feet. One pair of wool with three pair of liners will go a long while. Clean the liners you were just wearing each night and don a pair that you washed the previous night. Nylon and CoolMax liners clean and dry easily. $.02
Absolutely. +1 on this technique. On long hikes this makes a lot of difference. I can swap out liners a couple of times during the day and keep my feet drier. I carry two pairs of thick outer socks and three pairs of liners. On multi-day hikes, it makes even more difference. I maintain one pair of dry liners and one pair of dry outers at all times in case I have to bivvy.

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
This post will probably go WAY beyond the answer you were looking for…
Absolutely not! You've posted great stuff. +1 on the lacing method illustrated in your photo. It makes a huge difference.

I'm going to have to check out that book that you referenced. The problem I have is not so much blisters but bruising toenails. Maybe that book will offer me some hope. Taping and using foam have proved useless (or worse).

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Compeed pads rock. They are much better than molefoam, duct tape or the alternatives, IMHO.
I've had good experience with Compeed pads too, particularly on those killer back of the heel blisters. One note: they don't breathe well. I think perhaps stripping them off at the end of the day, allowing the skin to breathe overnight, and re-applying them in the morning would be a good way to go. The downside to taking them off each night is that they stick really really well, and I've often removed the surface layer of the blister when removing the pad.

Spiroflex has a really good reputation as well.

Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
I was just on top of Jacinto last weekend, and did Baldy last month. Have you ever done the C2C trail?
I've climbed all three "saints" (Mt San Antonio, San Gorgonio Mtn, & San Jacinto Pk), but I've never climbed San Jacinto via the C2C ("Catus to Clouds") route. Supposedly, it's one of the hardest day hikes in the United States. 10,000+ feet of gain in a day over about 17 miles (one way). It's on my list, but I'd probably just do the "Skyline" section (Palm Springs to Long Valley) which is 8000+ feet of gain over 11 miles and then ride the aerial tramway back down. The whole Catus to Clouds sounds like a bit much.

If you're in the area, the following forums may be of interest:
San Gabriel Mountains: http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/
San Gorgonio Wildernesss: http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/
San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains: http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/
San Diego Area: http://www.hikesandiego.org/

#153074 - 10/24/08 04:55 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Alan_Romania]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Thanks for that great post, Alan. Lot's of excellent info.

Question about that photo--what was the lacing change you were referring to? Do you mean those loops at the top that you pass the ends of the laces through?

#153076 - 10/24/08 05:05 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Arney]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Arney
I wear a pair of thin socks OVER my smart wools...

Interesting. What's the logic behind wearing the thin layer outside of the thick layer? Or how did you start wearing them this way?

The thin socks are synthetic (coolmax, or acrylic or nylon etc. )and don't absorb as well as wool so get clammy real
fast, they also tend to wrinkle more than thick socks.
They do wear well, so they take rubbing on the boot.

For winter cold, I found two pairs of
thick wool socks work best (with bigger boots of course).

No matter what they say about wicking fabrics, the wool
still is dryest near my skin for me. It doesn't stink like
synthetic either.

#153079 - 10/24/08 05:16 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

I'm going to have to check out that book that you referenced. The problem I have is not so much blisters but bruising toenails. Maybe that book will offer me some hope. Taping and using foam have proved useless (or worse).

I also had the same problem, especially on downhill hikes. Backpacker magazine had a short article a few years ago on some lacing methods for specific situations. I don't think you can access the entire article but here's one part.

http://www.backpacker.com/april_2003_gear_boot_lacing_tips/gear/5245

This is one of the techniques that I've tried and it really helps a lot for downhill hiking.

http://www.hitthetrail.com/boot_lacing.php

This allows you to independently adjust the tension on different parts of the shoe, so you don't have to have it too loose or too tight. On downhill hikes, you can lace the foot area tighter to prevent my feet from sliding forward, but leave the ankle part looser to prevent cutting off circulation at the ankle. Or you could modify that technique and move the knot, if you like to have more wiggle room at your toes, but tighter around the arch, and loose around the ankle. Even the direction the laces go through the eyelets (bottom up, or top down) makes a difference.

I tend to have a lot of issues with boot fitting becaues my feet are really wide and flat. Fitting boots is an entire system, socks and boots are just one part of the equation. With the right lacing technique, good socks, and also good insoles, a lot of problems can be fixed. Also, do you use hiking poles? I think trekking poles have had the most significant impact in my hiking, more than everything else combined.

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

I've climbed all three "saints" (Mt San Antonio, San Gorgonio Mtn, & San Jacinto Pk), but I've never climbed San Jacinto via the C2C ("Catus to Clouds") route. Supposedly, it's one of the hardest day hikes in the United States. 10,000+ feet of gain in a day over about 17 miles (one way). It's on my list, but I'd probably just do the "Skyline" section (Palm Springs to Long Valley) which is 8000+ feet of gain over 11 miles and then ride the aerial tramway back down. The whole Catus to Clouds sounds like a bit much.

I'm definitely not in shape to do the C2C just yet, I'm thinking maybe next year. There's only a narrow window of time when the weather is agreeable, it's usually either 100 degrees at the base of the trail, or snowed out on the top of the peak.

#153080 - 10/24/08 05:21 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: clearwater]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

No matter what they say about wicking fabrics, the wool
still is dryest near my skin for me. It doesn't stink like
synthetic either.

If hiking in hot weather, don't ever wear synthetic fleece socks. Man do they stink. According to my gf, the smell was so bad it was starting to come through the boot. I've started switching all my clothes to merino wool because even in moderate activities, the synthetics really start to smell.

#153130 - 10/24/08 10:54 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: ducktapeguy]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Bsmith,
I was just on top of Jacinto last weekend, and did Baldy last month. Have you ever done the C2C trail?

not yet. my hiking buddy has several times. i'm hoping in dec - before any major storms.

#153132 - 10/24/08 11:00 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Alan_Romania]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
Tie your shoes. This seems simple, but tie you shoes so that your feet move as little as possible. A simple change in how I laced my shoes (see picture) made a huge difference in foot movement (and thus a reduction in blister reducing friction).

excellent photo of what i've heard called the "sherpa knot." i use it myself. it keeps your heels in place.

see his attachment for a great shot.

#153134 - 10/24/08 11:11 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

hikin jim: "The problem I have is not so much blisters but bruising toenails."

i understand this bruising is caused by your toes - especially on the downhill - being jammed into the shoe box on a repetitive basis. it's possible to lose the nails from this, i know firsthand. the two great toes.

perhaps thinner socks, perhaps larger shoes/boots with two pair of socks, perhaps different lacing - the "sherpa knot" as mentioned above w/pic by romania is also great at keeping your foot tight - that is, the foot not being able to move forwards and backwards, but not too tight that it cuts off circulation.

#153143 - 10/24/08 11:58 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: bsmith]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bsmith
hikin jim: "The problem I have is not so much blisters but bruising toenails."

i understand this bruising is caused by your toes - especially on the downhill - being jammed into the shoe box on a repetitive basis. it's possible to lose the nails from this, i know firsthand. the two great toes.

perhaps thinner socks, perhaps larger shoes/boots with two pair of socks, perhaps different lacing - the "sherpa knot" as mentioned above w/pic by romania is also great at keeping your foot tight - that is, the foot not being able to move forwards and backwards, but not too tight that it cuts off circulation.
My issue is weird. I'm not moving around in my boots a lot, and the boots aren't too short. It's more like the toenails are rubbing on the top of the toe box of the boot. I've had it happen on innumerable pairs of shoes. The boots I've got now (Lowas) are better than my last set (Dunhams), but still having the problem.

Originally Posted By: bsmith
Bsmith,

not yet. my hiking buddy has several times. i'm hoping in dec - before any major storms.
Dec is pretty late season for C2C. Usually mid-Oct to early/mid Nov is the season. Snow's an issue in Dec, but the even greater issue is ice. If you're not trained, experienced, and practiced with an ice axe and crampons, think twice. Ask professional guide James Simon (well, actually you can't 'cause he died in an ice accident on that trail). A marine stationed at 29 Palms slipped, went over the side and went 800' down a chute last year. He lived (there is a God). Anyway, not trying to be paranoid here, but really check the conditions if you're going to try to do C2C in Dec.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.