The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#152956 - 10/23/08 07:54 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Russ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Do what works for you - 1 sock layer in my comfortable Lowas, 2 sock layers in my looser Danner boots. There's an argument for carrying fewer socks if you go with 1 sock layer, but nothing is worthwhile if you feet are uncomfortable or blister.

#152962 - 10/23/08 10:03 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
For a contrary POV:

I've been an avid backpacker for 35 years, mostly mountains, some desert, swampy areas, etc. I did the thin, wicking liner socks under thick wool socks thing for many years. It worked well. However, for the last 10+ years, I've simply worn single layer, modern, purpose-designed hiking socks from sources like Smartwool and Thorlo, and they have been equally effective at blister prevention and comfort.

In my judgment, the factors most important for blister prevention are, in order:
Boot fit, lacing adjustment, and break-in,
High quality, often after-market, insoles,
Immediate attention to any hot spots before blisters form, and
proper sock selection.

Another advantage of modern socks is that they are quick to dry. This means that they can be washed and rinsed of salt sweat and grime, and left to and dry overnight. I carry 3 pairs - one on my feet, one drying spare pair, and one clean pair for the next morning, which I sometimes wear in my sleeping bag the night before. Clean socks are more comfortable, wick moisture better, and are generally more comfortable.

I wear clean socks every day and wash my feet every night. I adjust my boot lacing for the terrain. One other thing I always do is wear gaiters to seal out dirt and debris from falling into my boots and causing discomfort. I always wear simple, low ankle gaiters in an uncoated breathable fabric , unless high and water-resistant gaiters are called for.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

#152963 - 10/23/08 10:08 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Arney]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For short stuff, I just go with one pair in warm weather. In cold weather or anything more than 3-4 miles, two pairs. I can't stand the feel of nylon socks, so I wear cotton or light cotton/wool blend GI ones on the inside, and then wool ones over that. And I tape the backs of my heels before hand.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#152969 - 10/23/08 11:02 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: ironraven]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I see a lot of people are wearing cotton socks. That surprises me. There are a lot of modern non-scratchy blends or synthetics available. Some of the blends/synths are a bit more pricey, so I wouldn't use them every day, but for stuff where I'm away from my vehicle/civilization and there might be "weather," I figure the price is worth it. Don't want cotton on me in cold and wet conditions.

Have you ever tried to dry out a pair of GI socks? I'm not trying to be critical, but that's every GI's lament; GI socks take for freaking ever to dry.

I agree with Jeff that boot fit, break-in, and adjustment is key, and a good pair of insoles makes a huge difference. Perhaps this goes w/o saying, but with new boots, take 'em out enough times that they not only "break in" but also so you get used to what lacing and socks work well.

#152970 - 10/23/08 11:03 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Arney]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
great question, i've wondered the same thing for quite some time.

in my day hikes i wear one pair of midweight hiking thorlos. rare hotspot, but adjusted the sock and all was well.

day hikes include san jacinto, san gorgonio, baldy and whitney twice - both in one day but separate months - as well as the routine 8 - 15 mile walks in the forest.

am considering short gaiters to keep the debris out.

#152974 - 10/23/08 11:14 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: ironraven]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I wear leather boots every day on the job and only wear one pair of wool-blend socks, even on days off I wear these same socks in my shoes. I do use quality footwear with aftermarket fitted orthotics also. I do not normally hike long distances in this combo, just normal in/out of the truck/boat/ATV, maybe a mile of walking at the most.

Most of my socks are the same make/type and only a couple of colours, it makes laundry matching easier. As the wool socks get thin I use them in the summer and save the newer thicker ones for the cold weather seasons.

If I know I will be hiking greater distances I wear 2 pair of socks, a thin moisture-wicking inner layer under a thicker wool sock.

If it is really cold (late fall deer hunting, ice fishing or snowmobiling) I use the same inner sock but increase the thickness of the wool outer sock and then put on felt-lined pac-type boots.

About 60 years ago my Grandfather established a knitting mill in the small town where I grew-up in Southern Ontario. He and later my uncle, produced a line of wool work socks that I have worn all my life (I am wearing them right now). You always knew what one of your gifts at Christmas was going to be! The mill closed down about 10 years ago and I think in about 5 years my supply of hoarded socks will be depleated; I will actually have to BUY wool socks for the first time!

Mike

#152978 - 10/23/08 11:43 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Jeff_M]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

+1 to what Jeff said.

I grew up with the whole 2 sock mentality, but I've since switched to just a single wool sock. Never saw any advantage to having a liner sock and thicker padding layer, and I inevitably ended up losing one of the liners socks. Too many socks to keep track of.

The worst thing to wear is cotton socks, especially wet cotton socks.

Bsmith,

I was just on top of Jacinto last weekend, and did Baldy last month. Have you ever done the C2C trail?

#152979 - 10/23/08 11:46 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Arney]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I generally wear just 1 layer. A good single layer sock such as Thorlo or Bridgedale should be perfectly fine.

Currently I am using these Thorlos;

http://www.thorlo.com/socks/hiking-socks/crew/59.php?color_id=72#A

For me they have a nice comfortable fit and have the appropriate padding in the correct places.

I will also take a pair of Goretex socks such as these;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/PriceDrop/12/Gore_Gore-Tex_Waterproof_Socks_2007/5360031431/

together with an a spare pair or two of extra Thorlos (i.e. dry evening or trail change).

Keeping your feet dry and free from hot spots (because or boot rubbing due to incorrect boot fit) is the key to not getting blisters. If your beginning to get a hot spot its best to stop, remove your boots and apply a Compeed patch and then change to a fresh pair of socks (you may even need to wash and dry you feet properly before changing your socks. Even letting your feet cool down in a cool breeze for 5-10 minutes will help ). Let the first pair of socks dry out (attach them to your BOB or pack to air) then put your boots back on to proceed. Try to do as much before hand before letting a blister develop.

Boots and socks aren't really an area to be economical and save money. Best to go for the best boot fit, no matter the cost of the boot and try lots and lots of boots before you find the pair that fits properly. Also once your happy with the initial boot purchase it might be worthwhile purchasing a couple of spare pairs a few months later because chances are your not going to be able to get them a few years later.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/23/08 11:49 PM)

#152982 - 10/23/08 11:55 PM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Keeping your feet dry and free from hot spots (because or boot rubbing due to incorrect boot fit) is the key to not getting blisters. If your beginning to get a hot spot its best to stop, remove your boots and apply a Compeed patch and then change to a fresh pair of socks

Great advice. Compeed pads rock. They are much better than molefoam, duct tape or the alternatives, IMHO. Keeping my feet dry are another reason I've switched to single layer socks. My feet sweat heavily. I can usually see a clear salt line on my full thickness leather boots after a long day of hiking.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Boots and socks aren't really an area to be economical and save money. Best to go for the best boot fit, no matter the cost of the boot and try lots and lots of boots before you find the pair that fits. Also once your happy with the initial boot purchase it might be worthwhile purchasing a couple of spare pairs a few months later because chances are your not going to be able to get them a few years later.

More great advice. Boots and foot care are the literal foundation of the sport.

Jeff

#152985 - 10/24/08 12:11 AM Re: Socks--one or two layers? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Thanks for all the input so far. A lot of good stuff. I was a bit surprised by the initial batch of responses since it didn't seem like things had changed much in terms of what people liked since I read those books a long time ago. But I'm glad to see input from the single-layer, modern fiber folks to provide some perspective, too.

I was just curious because in my day hikes, I just wear one pair of synthetic socks and I've never particularly felt the need for two layers, but I thought that maybe that's because I'm not really going that far. But it sounds like even serious folks go with one layer, too.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.