The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#152429 - 10/20/08 03:37 AM Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Just wondering what is the length of most lanyards on sighting compasses such as the Silva Ranger and Suunto MC-DL2...

Would any owners of such sighting compasses take a second to measure their lanyards?

Thanks smile

#152445 - 10/20/08 05:52 AM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas [Re: SARbound]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
The length of the lanyard on my Suunto MC-2G is 18 inches from the attachment point on the base-plate to the end of the adjustable collar-piece, so the lanyard's total length is about 36 inches in diameter give or take a quarter of an inch.

#152510 - 10/20/08 06:13 PM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas [Re: Nicodemus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Most of the lanyards I've seen (Silva and Suunto) are way too short. I'll measure mine tonight when I get home, but you might think about getting a longer lanyard than is standard.

To sight, one holds the compass at about arm's length. The lanyards I've seen are too short for this. What I've done is to untie the lanyard so that it is no longer a loop around my neck but is one single long line, one end of which is affixed to my pack strap and other end to the compass. This seems to work well for me. I store my compass in a pouch on my pack strap by the way. If you store your compass in your pocket, my method wouldn't work well at all.

On those occasions that I use the compass but am not wearing a pack, I keep the compass in a (buttonable) chest pocket and affix one end of the lanyard to a buttonhole on my shirt.

HTH,

HJ

#152620 - 10/21/08 06:42 AM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I measured my Ranger's lanyard. Approx 28", but I've got a got a couple of loops in it at either end. Call it 34" or 36".

Like I say, I want it longer (than standard) so I can sight at arm's length while still having attached to my person.

#152800 - 10/22/08 04:39 AM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas [Re: Hikin_Jim]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Jim : 36" is the total length of the lanyard then? So that means the compass is hanging about 18" below your neck?

I'm working on an adjustable lanyard using a double fisherman's knot. I'll be able to slide both parts closer to each other (longer lanyard, to sight at arm's length) or farther (shorter lanyard for simple neck carry only). Sounds like that might work! I'll post a few pics when i'm done.

Thanks for your ideas and measurements guys.

#152803 - 10/22/08 04:52 AM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas [Re: SARbound]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Yes, that's basically correct regarding the length of the lanyard although some of the lanyard's length is taken up when tying the two ends together and by the larkshead (aka lanyard hitch) that attaches the compass to the lanyard.

Your idea sounds interesting. I'll look forward to the pix.

#152828 - 10/22/08 02:07 PM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass [Re: SARbound]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm not gonna dig mine out to measure, but it is just long enough for me to hold it at arms length with the lanyard drawn tight against my neck. The tension helps me hold the compass nice and steady...

#152836 - 10/22/08 03:01 PM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I know it's not exactly the brand/style you were asking about but the lanyard loop on my Cammenga GI compass is 27" long -- that is, the string is around 54" long. GI lanyards might be designed to be longer since it has to go over helmets and other gear.

#152842 - 10/22/08 03:27 PM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass [Re: Yuccahead]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Yeah, I tend to hold the compass at arms length, but with my elbow kinda bent a little, and replace the factory lanyard with one of sufficient length. I've been using some "Sportsman Cord" that I found at a Walmart some years back.

I don't like the feel of the lanyard bobbing back & forth on my stomach when walking, so either I wear a shirt with a breast pocket or stow the compass in another pocket (pants, fanny pack, day pack, etc ...).

I've read people suggesting to attach the lanyard to something other than a neck in order to minimize risks of strangulation. So far I still put it around my neck.

#152856 - 10/22/08 05:15 PM Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass [Re: KenK]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: KenK
I don't like the feel of the lanyard bobbing back & forth on my stomach when walking, so either I wear a shirt with a breast pocket or stow the compass in another pocket (pants, fanny pack, day pack, etc ...).

I've read people suggesting to attach the lanyard to something other than a neck in order to minimize risks of strangulation. So far I still put it around my neck.
I can't stand having a compass bobbing about either, and I can't imagine it's good for the compass. I have a pouch that I affix to my pack's shoulder strap. I then run the lanyard out of the pouch and tie it to another point on the shoulder strap. I don't know if this photo is big enough to be illustrative, but hopefully it's helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.