Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#152790 - 10/22/08 01:35 AM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: haertig]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: haertig
She asked who her husband (me!) should name in the lawsuit when they find her charred remains in the stairwell after a fire...All stairwell doors were unlocked the next day, and remain so.

LOL! Nothing like the threat of a lawsuit to get people's attention.

I really am sympathetic to the security angle. I would think that with some planning and picking the right hardware, a happy medium could be reached between security and safety. As I said, maybe there are features to your (to Tom L's) setup that you're not aware of so it's best to ask someone who should know.

It just makes me unsettled to think that your only escape from your entire floor is through these locked doors, and the locks have failed in the past such that you feel the need keep prying tools at your desk "just in case". It just seems like a bad situation waiting to happen.

#152792 - 10/22/08 03:06 AM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: Arney]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
It seems kinda scary to let your life be controlled by a locked door policy for stairs. And to then have to hope that all the locking and unlocking systems work right when you need them to. If the stairs have locks on them, I would rethink my work in the building.

I would bet this type of system gets a low priority upkeep schedule.

Not that I’m telling others to find another job, but I personally would not want to work in a building that is out of reach of a fire truck ladder.

We all know that others (many companies included) don’t plan for disasters too well. and mechanical and computer controlled things break or don’t always work right To rely on others is too dangerous.

All safety rules & laws are written in blood, I would not want it to be my blood.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#152794 - 10/22/08 03:55 AM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa

Can't find a good link right now but I like to carry my bic mini in the bic c2 series metal case. This small case completely covers the lighter and keeps lint from getting to it or anything from accidently pressing the button. I found my at Walmart. I then put the lighter and a few other basics in a small USB drive wallet or maybe a memory card (CF or SD) wallet. For true EDC I go with the memory card wallet but I usually keep a USB drive wallet with the rest of my stuff in the laptop bag or my desk.

Here is what I tend to carry around the office
- small pocket knife (victorinox Alox moneyclip)
- small flashlight (Peak solutions Matterhorn)
- keys
- wallet w/$ and some small bandaids etc.
- small multi tool (Squirt E4)
- lighter (mini bic in C2 case or small colibri)
- magic # generator from IT so I can remote log in to things
- USB drive (2 gig)
- All important Employee Badge with RFID so I can get in the building smile
- PDA (Palm TX)
- Company Cell Phone (Razor)
- Medium sized notebook (Moleskin) and pen.
and a laptop computer if I am going to be stuck in meetings all day frown

I tend to keep larger stashes (small pry bars, more bandages,minor meds like aspirin, bigger flashlight etc.) at my desk and in my car (the company really doesn't allow some things like larger knives etc. in the building) so I don't end up clanking as I walk around.

-Eric

#152796 - 10/22/08 04:07 AM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: Roarmeister]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
The entities that wrote three of the major codes (SBC, NBC, & UBC) merged in 2003 to form the International Code Council (IBC). Approximate historical coverage was SBC in the south, NBC in the north east of the Mississipppi & UBC from the middle plains westward.

#152797 - 10/22/08 04:14 AM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: Hikin_Jim]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I've been using that method for the last couple of years when I started back to school full time. I use an 8GB to keep a full current (weekly or more often) back-up copy of my documents & carry it so I can use one of the campus computer labs instead of carrying the laptop every day. Had one of those lightbulb moments when I was looking for a solution to the same problem.

PS Thanks for the reminder. I need to run the synchronizer program.

#152805 - 10/22/08 05:17 AM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: UTAlumnus]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
I really am sympathetic to the security angle. I would think that with some planning and picking the right hardware, a happy medium could be reached between security and safety. As I said, maybe there are features to your (to Tom L's) setup that you're not aware of so it's best to ask someone who should know.

It just makes me unsettled to think that your only escape from your entire floor is through these locked doors, and the locks have failed in the past such that you feel the need keep prying tools at your desk "just in case". It just seems like a bad situation waiting to happen.

It may sound weird, but that's how it is in my case at least. The stairwell (the only stairwell in the entire building accessible from the top floor where I work) is locked all the time. There are no push bars nor any other way out of the building except climbing. There are two possible routes of evacuation from the stairwell, one short and another much longer one. Either way there are two doors with magnetic locks.

I don't know exactly how the electronic locks work. I doubt anybody around here does, though. We've had a malfunction the other day and it took several days to fix it.

I guess that's just the way it is if you work in an old building (well over 100 years). On the other hand, the doors themselves are old as well and seem fairly flimsy. So in an emergency I don't think it would be that difficult to pry them open, supposing you have anything suitable at hand. There are also thick, heavy fire protection doors but these have no locks fortunately.

Anyway, I do feel a lot better now with a tire iron in my pack - keeping my fingers crossed that I'll never have to use it for real. wink

#153087 - 10/24/08 05:53 PM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: Tom_L]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am not sure about firestarters, especially that you work in urban environment & thats only 20 minutes away from your home

OTOH, I think you need more lights in your kit

How about a head lamp so you can work utilize both hands if it was dark ?

I keep three lights in my EDC ( one of them is a headlamp) plus two small flashlights in my desk. Nothing worse than an emergency in tall building and you can't see where your are going.

As far as locked doors are concerned, remember that you have fire extinguishers ( I hope you have them !!) If a door wont open in an emergecy, just throw on of these on the glass and smash your way through. THIS APPLIES ONLY TO (ABC)type extinguishers. Don't try that with CO2 extinguishers, or any cylinders containing compressed gas.

#153090 - 10/24/08 06:12 PM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Chisel

As far as locked doors are concerned, remember that you have fire extinguishers ( I hope you have them !!) If a door wont open in an emergecy, just throw on of these on the glass and smash your way through.
Glass? What glass? Ours are solid. eek

#153115 - 10/24/08 09:45 PM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: Tom_L]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Tom_L

- about 20' of nylon rope
If you are planning to use that to climb out of a window, better get some practice in first. You may find it's impractical without a full abseiling harness.

It sounds like you are looking to get out of the building, and then home. I'd add a whistle, a dust-mask (or N95) and a bandanna. And that's about it, really. You may need clothing to walk home, but if you walked in then presumably you already have it. Presumably you know the local area pretty well.

Your employer ought to have medical kits. You might consider volunteering to be the first-aid guy, or fire marshal, or similar, to help check they are doing it right, that the supplies aren't all past their expiry date etc.

In a situation like that, realistically you have to consider other people. For example, it might be worth getting a load of cheap coin-cell lights so that you aren't the only one with a torch. Stuff like that (and the tire iron) you can probably leave in your desk, rather than carry it in and out every day in your backpack.

#153168 - 10/25/08 06:29 AM Re: Urban/Office Worker EDC [Re: Brangdon]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
Glass? What glass? Ours are solid.

Well, reading your posts almost makes me think we work at the same place. cool But yeah, no glass here either.

Using a fire extinguisher to smash something up must be pretty cool. But as far as I know there are only about 2 fire extinguishers on the entire top floor and even the one closest to me is not within instant reach from my office.

It is a weird situation really. Most of the emergency gear (axes, shovels, crowbars, extra fire extinguishers etc.) is kept in the basement, basically out of sight, out of reach. I understand the upper floors are too crowded already but I would feel much better if at least some of that equipment was made more accessible. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. At least not until something bad happens and people start thinking about it more seriously.

BTW, the rope is not meant for absailing. It's just a length of paracord but always useful to have some of that around. Re: the firestarter - I don't stay inside the office all day long. On average I spend at least one day per week on the move, either working at another location or going out of town. When that happens (usually I don't get much advance warning) I'm stuck with whatever I'm carrying with me already, hence the stuff like rope, matches and firestarter.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 469 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.