Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#152818 - 10/22/08 01:02 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I gave my wife a stainless hori-hori some years ago. Very strong as a digging tool in the garden, and holds a good edge. But I never use it. It's too thick to be a really good knife and not long enough for serious digging or prying (a two-handed task IMO).

As an all-around no-nonsense digging/cutting/general abuse tool, my Cold Steel shovels (I now have three) will do ten times more real work. They're compact enough for a daypack, and they're discreet because they don't look like a weapon.

My two cents' worth.

#152821 - 10/22/08 01:13 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: dougwalkabout]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
A decade ago I found this nifty little kit shovel. The metal handle was pretty solid and as ergonomic as you could expect, with a rubber grip and all, but the working end had a yoke that allowed you to change out the shovel for a pick, or a saw, or a hatchet. It all packed into a cordura bag, and snuggled nicely into a BOB. Considering the multi-task nature of the package, I found it quite functional for it's scale. Things such as these are always a compromise from having a tool dedicated to a specific task, but this was perhaps one of the more functional compromises I've seen in a while. Even a Leatherman Wave is a compromise, if you think about it.

#152869 - 10/22/08 07:29 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: benjammin]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
benjammin:
what you are describing is a tool that was carried in a U.S. Air Force survival kit, I have two of them somewhere still in there military case, you can sometimes find them on e-bay, and now a company (probably China ) makes one for sale here in the U.S.

#152875 - 10/22/08 07:56 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: big_al]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Could be. It was fairly inexpensive at the time IIRC.

#152876 - 10/22/08 08:01 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: benjammin]
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
What about a Scuba knife? I have one and it is exactly as you describe.

#152907 - 10/23/08 01:19 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: benjammin]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
benjammin:
did it look like this??

#153001 - 10/24/08 02:59 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: reconcowboy]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

This "thing" I bought is not a scuba knife because the handle is metal and covered with two wooden slabs. It will not survive seawater I guess. But if you think about it, the utlity side of this thing can be very useful for a fisherman or sailor. I didnt mention that it has three nut holes in it. So, it would be helpful in boat engine maintenance for example.

In the process of finding a suitable survival knife or "survival thing", I thought about scuba knives. There are a few good ones that come with a straight edge on one side and a serrated edge on the other and a metal butt for pounding/hammering. Some have a chisel tip which is good for prying. Pretty versatile, but I was still looking for something more versatile, and bigger if possible. If a spouse or friend was trapped in a car wreck for example, a diver knife is too short to be used for prying doors open.

#153004 - 10/24/08 03:21 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: benjammin]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Even a Leatherman Wave is a compromise, if you think about it.

Off course.

This thread isnt about replacing 20 tools with one "super tool" . Rather it is about a principle that all prepared minded folks know about ( the mult-layer system ).

When you have a tiny PSK in your pocket, it doesnt mean you throw the BOB from your tuck. It just adds another layer of pretection in case emegencies strip you from the better and more effiecient options.

So, I have a few knives, shovels ..etc. and the house burns or I bug out, then the car is wrecked or trapped in a traffic jam ..etc. and you find your self without your huge pantry and without the car collection of survival equipment. In such case, you dont have the luxury of having 10 dedicated tools, it one or two VETSATILE tools that can help you solve as many problems as possible.

It is like the other threads that ask ( If you had to choose only one tool or one knife, what would it be ? ) but I guess I made the thread a bit less focused LOL.

I like the machete ideas and also the small shove kit.
The shovel kit is more versatile, but a machete can be trusted with prying more than the shovel kit. I will see if both can be squeezed in one small package.

Maybe if I squeeze something like this with a shovel kit

#153005 - 10/24/08 03:30 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

During the search for a better tool I found a shovel kit that has a few essentials inside the mini-shovel handle. I thought about it and it seems like a good idea.

Many of us have condemened the knives with hollow handle because it weakens the knife. However, in case of a shovel the handle is already made of heaviy metal pipe to withstand the job it is intended to do. In such a case, it will not be a bad idea if a few plastic tubes or capsules are inserted with a few items inside, from whistle to matches ..etc.

For those interested in the concept you can see this mini-shovel with kit inside the handle.
You can steal the idea and develop it in one of your better shovels.

But the thread is really about the one tool you want to keep with you as a last resort when you lose everything else.

#153006 - 10/24/08 03:51 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife (hori hori glam) [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

A funny thought crossed my mind when seeing the pictures of this Japanese gardening tool.

Can you imagine carrying it with you and telling airport security that it is NOT a knife, and that is only a "gardening tool" LOL.

A beautiful "knife" indeed.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.