The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#152628 - 10/21/08 08:13 AM Nother Q about survival knife
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am looking for a "sharpened prybar" for utility /survival

The knife should be a bit thick and have a tanto head with a FULL straigh blade and a FULL saw on the other side.

I need it for times of trouble, to dig, cut limbs and other chores. If it is not great for skinning a small rabbit, well, I am not that good at butchering anyway.

Have you seen anthing like this ?

#152629 - 10/21/08 08:15 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Chisel]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Jungle Primitive?

www.kravmagafederation.com

#152630 - 10/21/08 09:05 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Rodion]
RainHiker Offline
Stranger

US Navy MK3

You can find these military surplus knives for around $60 had mine for years, managed to chip the tip a little when I hit a rock, but it is really thick & heavy. The top has of the handle has thick chunk of metal to hammer on/with. Sorry to say that I haven't used the saw for much, I carry a pocket chain saw blade for that. Hard for the novice (ME) to sharpen.

Edited by RainHiker (10/21/08 09:06 AM)

#152634 - 10/21/08 10:26 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: RainHiker]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Look at TOPS knives. They have more than a few that will fit your bill.

-Bill Liptak

#152635 - 10/21/08 10:47 AM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: BillLiptak]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Unless you have some very specific task in mind I daresay you will be disappointed with any knife like that. IMHO a knife should first and foremost be good at cutting. A beefy blade with a thick profile just plain sucks at that.

Second, you can put mean looking teeth on the back but if the blade is too short and thick (any kind of knife blade is generally too thick for a saw, let alone the "sharpened prybar" type) you will end up with a miserable saw.

Third, no knife is much good as a shovel. If you attempt to do any serious digging you will quickly ruin the edge, possibly snap the point. Plus it will take you a while to dig a hole of any size, many times slower than even a small shovel.

So to make a long story short, the big Rambo sharpened crowbar may look macho but in real life it tends to be useless.

For the same amount of money you could get a good small knife, maybe a Mora, then a good folding saw and possibly an axe. Or if you really intend to do much digging, the Cold Steel shovel, which doubles as a pretty good hatchet. Alternatively you could get a sawback machete. Still too thick for a good saw but way better than the Rambo crap. wink

#152643 - 10/21/08 12:29 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Chisel]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don' really like the concept, but to each his own. I guess that you could get yourself an Ontario SP8 and reshape the tip into a tanto...

#152648 - 10/21/08 12:43 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
In all my perusals, I've yet to see a tanto with a serrated spine. Could be there's one out there, but I've covered a heckuva lot of knife sites. Maybe there's a niche yet to be filled. Hmmm........

#152664 - 10/21/08 02:06 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

#152667 - 10/21/08 02:21 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: benjammin]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys

I don't need the knife for Rambooing purposes, or even for routine chores. I just need it for a backup to rely on in case of bad times. It will be sitting in the BOB.

I do have a foldable shovel in each car, a small knife or two. But emergencies being as unexpected as they are, we don't know what kind of scenario we may find ourselves in. So a multi-purpose "tool" has its appeal.

As a matter of fact, I wanted something that doesn't cry KNIFE !! But rather it should look more like a tool that I can even leave in the trunk of my car and don't worry much about the law.

Having a number of specialized tools ( saw, hatchet, knife ) is the best thing, except that in case I had to abandon the car, a BOB will be "nine-month-pregnant" if I carried all of them plus my other junk. Add to that the political correctness that we have to adhere to in certain cases. A bulging BOB with shovel, an axe ..etc. is a welcome sight in an emergency but before an emegency you will only hear

( shovel, my God ? )
( an AXE , dear Lord ??? )

A knife, even a Rambo knife can hidden in the folds of your clothes inside a BOB if your concern is merely nosy people and not the law.

So, what I am looking for a survival TOOL with straight edge and serrated edge. A tanto - type head is stronger in case of digging or breaking through material, and is also, somthing to dilute the "knifeness" of a knife. It starts to look like a big sharpened chisel.

If there is something like that which is NOT a knife, I will be interested to see it. The less "knifey" it is, the better.

#152671 - 10/21/08 02:30 PM Re: Nother Q about survival knife [Re: Chisel]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.