Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#152492 - 10/20/08 04:34 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: pentium]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: pentium
The China of today is nothing like the China of ten years ago.

How true, pentium. Although I have been to China, that was a little over ten years ago and much of what I saw and experienced in Beijing, Xian, and Shanghai probably just doesn't apply anymore which is why I've been hesitant to jump right in with my China travel suggestions.

It saddens me a little to think about how much Beijing, in particular, has changed in just the past 5 years in preparation for the Olympics. I have heard that all the old neighborhoods (the Chinese word escapes me at the moment) were all bulldozed before the Olympics. And many old storefronts had fake facades put up in front of them during the Games so foreigners wouldn't see them and think that everything in Beijing is brand new.

It's also weird--I had to be halfway around the world, way out in dusty Xian, to see the fabled terra cotta army at the original excavation site. Now, there's an exhibit of some of those same statues right here in Orange County. The world really is getting smaller!

#152493 - 10/20/08 04:57 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: Arney]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Arney

It saddens me a little to think about how much Beijing, in particular, has changed in just the past 5 years in preparation for the Olympics. I have heard that all the old neighborhoods (the Chinese word escapes me at the moment) were all bulldozed before the Olympics. And many old storefronts had fake facades put up in front of them during the Games so foreigners wouldn't see them and think that everything in Beijing is brand new.

You bring up a good point. With the Olympics, everything in Beijing has gone through a complete makeover. I've been going there regularly for a few years, but even in that timespan the city has changed dramatically. Many of the old Hutongs have been destroyed to make way for new buildings, and the ones that are left have turned into a tourist attraction. In some places it's almost like going to Disneyland, everything starts to look like a set because they're brand new buildings built to look like the old ones they demolished. I feel very fortunate to have seen some of the original settings, but kinda sad because it's like watching a species become extinct.

Edited by ducktapeguy (10/20/08 04:57 PM)

#152494 - 10/20/08 05:00 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Everything you've listed sounds good.

You may want a neck pouch for your papers/passport. Some people like a fanny pack with a steel cable in the waist band to keep papers close at hand. Be VERY careful if you take the fanny pack off in the bathroom or on the plane. I've seen more than one travel companion lose things that way.

+1 on the small compass. Coming out of subway stations in Korea taught me that one.

A little mini squeeze light around the neck is handy and can be combined with the above compass. I've also got a whistle on mine neck lanyard. I hear street crime in China isn't bad, but you never know...

I'd bring the Imodium AD, but if your MD has something better that he can Rx you, go for it. A decongestant is good. Perhaps something for allergies.

Sun screen, chapstick, and hand cream.

A card with the name and address (in Chinese) of where you're staying is excellent. Also add to it phone numbers and email addr's of contacts. Giving a copy of your list of your contacts to someone stateside as well as your itinerary is a good idea.

Photocopy all your credit cards, passport, etc. Take a set of the copies with you (stored separately from the originals), and leave a second copy with someone stateside that you can contact in an emergency.

In addition to TP, a small bar of soap in a baggie. Maybe china is as modern as they say, but I've found having my own soap and TP handy. I can use a bandanna as a hand towel. I actually bring two bandannas: one "dirty" and one "clean" that I can use for differing applications.

Spare pair of eyeglasses if you wear 'em. If you wear contacts, having a pair of eyeglasses along as a backup is a good idea.

Sleeping pills. Possibly controversial, but I've found them useful.

Soft foam ear plugs. Different societies have different standards for "acceptable noise." I like the conical-shaped ones; the cylindrical ones hurt my ears. Could be a problem if you can't hear a fire alarm, but I've used them a lot on buses and trains and such.

Eye shades and small inflatable pillow. Not essentials to be sure, but a little sleep can be a godsend. I have no affiliation with REI, but I've used and like: http://www.rei.com/product/763637

Don't know your exact circumstances, but one of those little immersion heaters can be nice provided that you can get the appropriate electrical converter. Speaking of which, check on the electricity where you'll be going in terms of voltages and such. The ability to recharge cameras, shavers, cell phones, lap tops, etc. isn't a given.

+1 on something in the Ibuprofen (Advil) class although I prefer Naproxen Sodium (Aleve). Aleve lasts 12 hours whereas Advil lasts 6. If I really have an achy back, sore knee or what have you, I can take two tablets before bed and have the anti-inflammatory properties carry on all night.

Clothesline. In humid climates, sometimes having some clothesline so that you can dry things out is invaluable, although maybe not as important if you're going in December. Still, sometimes it's nice to be able to "rinse and wring" and hang socks and such to dry. A small travel shampoo sized bottle of detergent can be handy.

Whatever maps and guidebooks that you can get here that are good.

Sometimes it's good to have enough money in the local currency on hand before you hit the ground that you can buy a snack or pay cab fare. It's worth researching where to get the best exchange rate (your credit card, an in-country bank, your hotel, airport exchange, etc.). In Japan, the post office was really good.

Bug juice. Sounds like you won't need it, but you never know. I've been caught w/o it and regretted it.

Just some thoughts.

#152524 - 10/20/08 06:54 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: Arney]
pentium Offline
Stranger

Arney,

Sadly, the hootongs of Beijing are little more than a memory. My fondest memories of China are walking the hootongs of BJ 10 years ago and being followed by children, giggling and pointing at my hairy legs. Now in their place stand sky scrapers.

Oh, I forgot to mention something else to pack - a good LED flashlight. Although uncommon, power outages do occur (world wide) and China is always short on electrical power. Having a long lasting flashlight on hand will make life much better if the power should ever go out.

#152528 - 10/20/08 07:26 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: pentium]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland

#152555 - 10/20/08 10:02 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: clarktx]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wouldn't bother with water. You can't pack enough to make any difference. A filter bottle might be a better idea.

#152559 - 10/20/08 10:08 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: TeacherRO]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Wouldn't bother with water. You can't pack enough to make any difference. A filter bottle might be a better idea.
I was kind of wondering that myself. A steri-pen might be very cool. You can drink right out of the glasses at a restaurant. Just tell them it's a high-tech automated stirrer. smile

HJ

P.S. Not sure if it would work on ice.

#152562 - 10/20/08 10:12 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
P.S. Not sure if it would work on ice.

Ice! On my trip to China, we didn't have a single cold beverage for the entire trip and this was in the summer. As a Yank, drinking room temperature beer took a little getting used to. And it certainly didn't seem to quench our thirsts as well as a cold one. Neither did room temperature Coke.

I imagine that the beverage situation has changed a lot since then.

#152563 - 10/20/08 10:20 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: Arney]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

lol. Sorry, that last remark is more based on my trips to Mexico than on my trips to the far east. Many times in Mexico, I've been warned to ask for coke w/o ice. The coke is manufactured under controlled conditions, but the ice? Who knows. Not sure what the ice situation is in china. In the far east, I never worried about what I drank at restaurants although I wouldn't drink the tap water were I you.

#152571 - 10/20/08 11:00 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Not sure what the ice situation is in china.

Actually, even with a higher standard of living, I wouldn't be surprised if very cold or iced beverages are still not that common. (Someone with more recent experience can let us know) It's a cultural thing. Maybe it's not a big deal with the younger generation anymore, but traditionally Chinese don't drink cold beverages anyway. In our hotel room, we would always find a thermos bottle of hot water.

There's also this interesting idea about how you will sweat less in hot weather if you drink hot beverages and keep your body temperature closer to the outside temperature. Interesting idea, but after a long, hot day of sightseeing, the last thing we wanted was a nice cup of hot water! grin

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.