The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#152478 - 10/20/08 02:57 PM Personal Money Management Merit Badge
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Now this is something I like! One of the merit badges required to obtain the rank of eagle scout is Personal Management.

It takes three months to get this badge and it teaches the scout all about money issues such as loans, investing, budgeting, ROI, etc.

Can any scouts out there direct me to a copy of the merit badge book for this badge? I want to teach it my two daughters.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#152480 - 10/20/08 03:09 PM Re: Personal Money Management Merit Badge [Re: NightHiker]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
That should be required in elementary school these days. I could have benefited from it, that's for sure.

#152483 - 10/20/08 04:02 PM Re: Personal Money Management Merit Badge [Re: Nishnabotna]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Should be required for elementary school.
High school.
And a college coarse requirement.

If they make you learn a second language then this should DEF be required!!!

#152521 - 10/20/08 06:43 PM Re: Personal Money Management Merit Badge [Re: Todd W]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I was going to buy that merit badge book, but so far I haven't been able to save up the money to do it. There are just too many toys to buy, places to eat out, and bills to pay - you know, for those essentials like my rent, car washes, movies, cell phones, internet service, satellite TV, car lease, laundry service, rental furniture, ...

Just kidding. Actually I'm very proud of my son for completing that MB - it was his hardest one so far.

Anyone here ever see the Madame Blueberry video? Its part of the Veggietales series. This thread made me think of that video.

#152525 - 10/20/08 07:07 PM Re: Personal Money Management Merit Badge [Re: KenK]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: KenK
Anyone here ever see the Madame Blueberry video? Its part of the Veggietales series. This thread made me think of that video.

We have that one in DVD and VHS. Got it at Stuff-Mart. It's stored somewhere between the air compressor and the scuba gear.

Bob: "Larry, how much stuff do you need to be happy?"
Larry: "I don't know, how much stuff is there?"

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#152558 - 10/20/08 10:06 PM Re: Personal Money Management Merit Badge [Re: Blast]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They should teach this in schools...

#152577 - 10/20/08 11:28 PM Re: Personal Money Management Merit Badge [Re: Todd W]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Most definitely include an in-depth course in high school. Make it a whole year course instead of the half year we had in the 80's. The first four Six-Weeks would be spent on personal budgeting, credit cards, simple time value of money, etc. I'd include a realistic scenario as the last two Six-Weeks of the course. Make each day a month. One Six-Weeks the class has a set income, various expenses, and a home loan (half have fixed interest, half have variable). The next Six-Weeks, they start fresh and switch to the other interest type. Passing the course will include a report of how they did with each loan.

For the college level, it is depending on your major. Engineering Economy will give you the knowledge needed to evaluate loans, determine ROI, etc. It's presented as looking at different machinery lives, replacement costs, and such but it's all time value of money. So many years at an interest rate, annual cash flows, present value, future values, and salvage. The only thing that changes between loans & investments is which direction the money flows. IIRC what they don't go into is why you want a fixed interest rate rather than variable.

#152607 - 10/21/08 03:13 AM Re: Personal Money Management Merit Badge [Re: UTAlumnus]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
On a somewhat related note, here is a book I gave all my nieces and nephew when they were in School.

Money Matters for Kids

One thing I stressed to them as they were getting in their senior year was to avoid all the credit card offers they would start getting as they registered for college.

#152639 - 10/21/08 11:37 AM Re: Personal Money Management Merit Badge [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Blast,

Here is a link to the requirements from BSA:

http://www.usscouts.org/mb/mb011.asp

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.