Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#152414 - 10/20/08 12:09 AM Urban Survival in China
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Hello All,

I'm headed to China in the near future. As in: I have a plane ticket and am actively preparing to go before Xmas.

I will be spending most of the trip in southern China.

I want to travel light, but also prepared. I will always be in urban situations.

Even though I want to travel light, I anticipate bringing 1 checked bag so that I can bring mundane items that are probably not going to make it through security.

I was going to pack
1) one of my many Ritter PSKs
2) my backpacking FAK
3) a small multitool. This will be the squirt or the micra, haven't decided. Maybe I'll take both.
4) bring some bottled water from USA.
5) bring some energy bars from USA.
After I leave the airport, these will be on my person or in my backpack with me at all times (which will have a lock on it).

In addition I will have regular traveler fare, but of course, if my luggage is "lost" after arrival then that's that.

When I arrive, I will be given a cell phone that is usable throughout China but will probably be worthless for calling USA. Not that anyone in USA could help me anyway but I do have contacts in China that I can call in a worst case scenario. Although many of them will likely be 12h away by bus.

I've asked a couple people who have gone to China recently what to take. I am putting their answers here for discussion, but the fact that I put them is not a validation that I think they are the bees knees. Just for discussion. The answers included:

1) Purell
2) A small bottle of iodine (for quickly applying to any small abrasions or incisions)
3) Pocket sized toilet paper
4) Antibacterial wipes
5) Those froo froo buttwipes for adults (individual was assuming that showering "sanity" might not always be possible).
6) Leather gloves, casual looking
7) Money belt
8) Immodium AD

I was also wondering if I should get a face mask and/or a steripen... and well, actually the list of things I could bring could be quite lengthy.

Can I have a roll call of things that you guys think would be good? I can kinda guess what the most important are by the number of times they are mentioned. I would prefer it to be things I could keep in my backpack, just in case my luggage walks off.

(As a side note I have/am getting the full spectrum of vaccinations and have some just-in-case-Cipro on order as well.)

#152418 - 10/20/08 12:40 AM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: clarktx]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics
That's an okay list.

Instead of a face mask get, and wear, a couple of big bandanas to act as a filter when you can't stand some of the smells. Unless you grew up on afarm you are likely to be overwhelmed at times. A dab of eau de Cologne on the fabric from time to time may help too.

Since you are an American and Texan they'll think the bandana is national dress.

A money belt is old hat, but a useful decoy, put a few bills underneath the insole of your shoes for real emergency funds.

Be cautious but not be too afraid of eating local food. Go for the soups and you probably won't need the Immodium.

If ordering local bottle water make sure the bottle is brought to you unopened and you open it not the waiter. Mime what you want and reject it if you done get it done your way.

My wife manged to live and travel all over China for 4 years and dragged me and our one year old from North to South with few problems 12 years ago. Things should be easier nowadays.

#152423 - 10/20/08 01:47 AM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: BOD]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: BOD
Since you are an American and Texan they'll think the bandana is national dress.

Good tip, a bandanna is more multipurpose.

A money belt is old hat, but a useful decoy, put a few bills underneath the insole of your shoes for real emergency funds.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines also. I haven't been able to think of anything truly original as an 'on person' place to stash money. If someone really has the time, I figure they can get everything.

Be cautious but not be too afraid of eating local food. Go for the soups and you probably won't need the Immodium.

Ok, didn't think of that. Thanks for the tips, sounds like you know whereof you speak.

#152439 - 10/20/08 05:16 AM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: clarktx]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I have never been to China but we import from there and my business partner has spent a lot of time there. These are some of the things I've picked up from him and others.
Generally, I'd take whatever you would take on a first trip to a large US city plus the stuff that you feel helps you in a foreign country like a phrase book, consulate contact info and so on.

We do all our voice communication to and from China using Skype. Some of the neater ways you can use Skype are not available for China but it still may be worth investigating for your trip. Also, I believe most Chinese cell phones don't have voice mail. Everyone texts instead. From what I recall, most Chinese use their cell phones almost exclusively for texting.

This may sound a little geeky but all of your electronic communication in, to and from China can be monitored by Chinese intelligence. During the Olympics, I recall seeing a security expert on TV saying that all US visitors, when not using their cell phone, should remove the battery. Even when off, it will be remotely turned on and used as a listening device. He was a security expert so perhaps he was more than a little paranoid or just more likely to be of interest. Their interest in you will depend on who you are and what you are doing there.

I don't know where or why (business, pleasure) you are going but around the coast (Shanghai, Guanghzou, Shenzen etc.,) you will find it extremely urbanized and very modern. Some of these cities are bigger and much more modern than New York. I wouldn't worry that much about food poisoning unless you are going to a wedding. Still, I'd take the Imodium. From what I've read when doing research on importing some food products (and consequently food poisoning in China), I would never eat at a Chinese wedding. Of course, I wouldn't drink the milk either.... From everything I've heard, Chinese food is generally very very good and of course very different from the Americanized Chinese food you get here.

Finally, when I find myself coming up out of strange NY subway stations or really any strange train station, I rarely know which way is which and if I'm walking somewhere from the station, I find it helps to have a small compass just to orient the map and the brain.

#152448 - 10/20/08 07:21 AM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: Yuccahead]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Katadyn water purification tabs, 2 pks.

#152450 - 10/20/08 07:29 AM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: frediver]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

you already mentioned toiletpaper, make sure you take enough. Public restrooms are not always supplied with TP.

Make sure you carry your valuables safely. Lots of thiefs, they cut pockets open and steel pretty much everywhere. Even in hospitals.

#152467 - 10/20/08 01:49 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: clarktx]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
ClarkTx,

I've never been to China, but I have done quite a bit of travel, in both the first and third world, and everything in between. Off the top of my head, here's some of the things I'd never be caught without on a long trip, or even a short one to a developing country (please note, I'm not a doctor, so check my med recommendations with one before you follow them!):

1) Notebook and Pen. You never know when you'll come across an amusing experience that you want to immortalize for the ages. Plus it gives you a may to preserve your thoughts and experiences when they are fresh, so that you can share them with us when you get back!
2) Purell. You've got that on your list already, but it's really helpful!
3) Pepto-Bismol. Take a dose if right after you eat something questionable, and it may help to avoid stomach troubles. The liquid is a pain to pack, but the pills or chewables are easy.
4) Benedryl. Works as an antihistamine for allergies (obviously) but also can double as a sleeping pill and anti-motion sickness med.
5) Ibuprofen. My favorite OTC painkiller. Taking it with you sure beats trying to find it locally when you need it (I have a funny story about trying to buy naproxen in an Australian pharmacy when I had severe back pain. It would have been much easier if I'd brought some from home!). The stress of changing timezones, lack of sleep, foreign culture, etc. can often lead to a headache, in additional to the regular muscle aches of spending all day on my feet as a tourist.
6) Codeine. I'm sure that this will be controversial to some, but I have found it to be very useful. It works as a painkiller when ibuprofen is not enough, but also as a cough suppressant and anti-diarrheal as well. Be careful to have a good prescription when crossing borders.
7) Cipro. Probably overused, but all the research I did shows that it does help against stomach bugs picked up through food.
8) Immodium. Already on your list. The few times I've needed to use it, it's always been quite unpleasant. If you've got the time and access to clean water, letting traveler's diarrhea run it's course is probably a better option.
9) Oral rehydration salts. These come in a compact packet, and if the pepto, cipro, and immodium don’t work, can make the difference between an unpleasant time and a trip to the (questionable) hospital. Always seemed like cheap insurance to me and really helped out a companion once.
10) Pocket-sized camera. I love my digital SLR, but the best photos often show up when I don't want to lug it around.
11) A sense of humor. VERY IMPORTANT!

A final tip I've found very useful when traveling in countries where I not only don’t speak the language but can't even read the writing: Have your hotel/guesthouse write down its name and address in local characters on a card for you. If you need to, you can just hand the card to a taxi driver and he should be able to figure out where to take you, even if you can't otherwise communicate.

There's a lot more travel advice in my head, but this is too long already. Have a great trip!

#152482 - 10/20/08 04:01 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: ]
RainHiker Offline
Stranger

Bring good shoes everyone is smaller than you and finding shoes could be challenging. At least it was for me when I went to the Philippines. I don't know the weather but I would bring hiking boots and a pair of sandals(Chaco is a good brand).

#152487 - 10/20/08 04:15 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: clarktx]
pentium Offline
Stranger

Having traveled in China many times and being married to a Chinese woman, perhaps I can offer up some advice. The China of today is nothing like the China of ten years ago. The major cities are similar to any modern city of the world. You probably will come back to the USA and think how behind the times we are technologically-speaking. If you travel into the countryside or to small villages of southern China, conditions are improving, but fortunately much of the old China remains to be enjoyed and explored.

First off, the Chinese people (especially outside the big cities) are kind, patient and curious toward Americans. “Pure in heart” may be the best way to describe the average Chinese person. If you go far enough off the beaten track, it is likely you will be the first American they have ever seen! Above all else, learn a few words of Chinese. These phrases will take you a long way:

Hello, Goodbye, Thank you, How much (is it)?, I want., No want., (Just)looking. (A phrase that will get you out of many potentially awkward situations.) If you get stuck, find a teenager. English is taught at most schools and children love to practice speaking with a real live American.

There is no need to haul water to China or water purifiers. Safe, bottled water is sold everywhere for next to nothing and your favorite soft drink can always be found. Yes, sometimes the water in hotel bathrooms is not potable, but this has never posed a problem.

Have no concerns of eating at restaurants. A quick peek in the window and exercising some common sense will tell you if your health may be at risk by dining there. I have never once gotten food poisoning in China. However, do avoid street vendors selling fast food. Finding breakfast you're familiar with is difficult. In China, stock up your hotel room with snack bars and locally grown fruit for breakfast.

Pack a good first aid kit in your suitcase containing the basic supplies, including an assortment of OTC drugs. I have yet to find the equivalent of a drugstore or pharmacy in China.

What to carry in your pockets? This is all you will need:

A cheat sheet with key Chinese phrases on it written in English and Chinese characters. A Leatherman micra is always handy. Photocopies of your passport (leave original in hotel safe.) The business card from your hotel’s front desk. Present it to a taxi driver and he immediately knows where you want to go. Lastly, a good map of the area is essential.

Good luck and don’t worry! Traveling in China is fun, safe and a great adventure.

#152491 - 10/20/08 04:34 PM Re: Urban Survival in China [Re: RainHiker]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I go to China a few times a year, in fact I'm headed there again next week.

What part of China are you going to? If you're going to be in one of the main cities, then you really have nothing to worry about. They are just as modern as any city in the US. Even in some of the smaller areas, it's not that bad. Violent (confrontational) crime isn't that common over there, what you proably have to worry about it stuff like pickpocketing or scams.

Sanitation is probably the main concern. Always carry TP and some hand cleanser, and if you have a sensitive stomach, it's recommended to only use boiled water when brushing your teeth. Some of the hotel will keep thermoses of boiled water specifically for that purpose. I dunno, I use the tap water and I also eat from the street vendors, and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).

Other than that, just take the usual travel precautions and you'll be fine. If you've never been there before, you might have to get used to their customs, they may seem strange at first. For one thing, people in China don't really wait in line, you just form one large group and shove your way to the front. That's just how it is, you'll get used to it.

Also, they tend to have much smaller personal boundries, meaning they will get up much closer to you when talking, or just standing around. People from the US probably aren't used to it, and it makes them uncomfortable.

And if you go to the street markets, especially touristy ones, the vendors are very, very agressive, probably the most aggressive ones I've ever encountered anywhere. They will literally grab people by the shirt and pull them back to the stores, or follow them down the street trying to make a deal. If you ignore them they will eventally go away.

Spitting on the streets used to be a very common practice there, but since the Olympics they've tried to curtail that with signs and warnings. Still, a lot of the older generation is just used to doing it, so you'll probably see people still spitting around you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.