Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#152144 - 10/16/08 07:47 PM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: SwampDonkey]
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

By the way, is it assumed that we're talking about the 2-person heatsheet? At the tolerances/sizes we're talking about here, it would make a difference. =)

#154078 - 11/03/08 02:07 PM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: Stu]
terry13111 Offline

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
How about 1 of those clear plastic mailing tubes? You can trim it down if too long.

One of those with about a 2-1/2" inside diameter would be perfect for a idea of mine!!! I can't find one in my area though. All the ineternet places I looked only sold them in lots of 50 or more. Does anyone know where i can find just one or two? Thanks!

#154079 - 11/03/08 02:27 PM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: terry13111]
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

You might check local copy/mail shops (e.g. Kinkos) or stationery stores. Comic book stores might use them to store/ship posters, so that's another possibility. Good luck!

#154094 - 11/03/08 03:54 PM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: kirbysdl]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Map stores are another possible source for the tubes.

#154124 - 11/03/08 06:07 PM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: Grouch]
terry13111 Offline

I live in a rural area where there is not a lot of stores like those(none actually). I was hoping for a place on-line. Any help? I can't find a place that only sells one or two. Thanks again.

#154158 - 11/03/08 10:37 PM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: terry13111]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
They might not say they sell one or two on their website. But if you email them, tell them you are looking to BUY a sample of no more than 6 units for a project, they are willing to listen. Free samples are one thing- bought samples get their attention.

Also, try ebay.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154184 - 11/04/08 12:28 AM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: kirbysdl]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: kirbysdl
Originally Posted By: clarktx

I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting this, but the retail packing it comes in is really quite adequate for the job. Its very light, can be closed again, etc...

I'm also curious why a hard case is needed.

My heatsheet was recently suggested to a durability test. Huck, the Shar Pei you see to your left, snuffled around in my man purse and selected the heatsheet for an edibility evaluation. He found it bland with a smooth and stretchy texture, and a nose of plastic bags. Portions of the heatsheet failed the digestibility phase of the evaluation, but we are pleased to report that the bilingual survival instructions remained legible after their ride through the canine alimentary canal.Zut alors! I too am looking for a hard case...

#154196 - 11/04/08 01:05 AM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: nursemike]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
What are the dimensions of the heatsheet as it comes off the shelf and it is folded up all nice and neat?

#154232 - 11/04/08 03:12 AM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: nursemike]
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Portions of the heatsheet failed the digestibility phase of the evaluation, but we are pleased to report that the bilingual survival instructions remained legible after their ride through the canine alimentary canal.

Dude. Animal testing isn't cool. But are you seriously looking for a hard case? Something actually resilient like a Pelican Micro case (vs. a map tube or even Altoids-like tin which would be chewed apart by a dog instantly)? They take up a lot of room. How likely is it that you'll spend $10-20 on protecting a $3-5 heatsheet? Does it make sense to use a 7oz case to protect your 3oz heat sheet?

I'm working out of a Maxpedition Fatboy (not Jumbo), so I'm really pressed for space. As I start to equip it with gear, I'm finding out that hard cases are great in theory, but the rigidity comes at a huge cost. I'm down to a hardy plastic vial for my CR123As and a small plastic case to protect pills from being crushed, but that's about it.

By the way, cute Shar Pei. =)

Originally Posted By: Matt
What are the dimensions of the heatsheet as it comes off the shelf and it is folded up all nice and neat?

It'd be useful to know, but again keep in mind there are two sizes. If I think of it next time I'm at REI I'll take some measurements. =)

#154249 - 11/04/08 11:01 AM Re: AMK heatsheet container??? [Re: kirbysdl]
terry13111 Offline

Its not the cash value of the heatsheet that I am protecting, its the life saving value.

When I need it, I want to make sure its in top notch condition. Natural shelters are nice, but in a "I need a shelter right now" situation, the heatsheet is tough to beat for its size and weight.

My pack has taken some crashes over the years, and I consider a space blanket or whatever you decide to carry for shelter one of my more important items. So, I would like to carry it protected.

I am considering switching over to the bivy, and I think one of those tubes would be perfect to carry it and some other small survival gear.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 344 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.