Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151811 - 10/13/08 06:16 PM Newbie and overly way super long posting
Sasser Offline
Sasseroo
Stranger

Loc: Maryland
I never knew this kind of "group" existed. I mean I guess I would have had I ever thought about it, but never really got the "vibe" to NEED to think about "survival". I mean really, I sleep in a nice warm bed, eat food when I want it.. I turn on the faucet and out comes "fresh" water....(sigh)

I grew up down south - my daddy made sure I knew how to change a tire, shoot a gun (and made me go to hunter safety courses) and the whole gambit. I could hold my own and can honestly say that back in the day I was much more prepared for a number of things vs. now when I've gone all soft (and a little more pugdgier) smile

I was in the air 911, and it was an experience that I never wanted to find myself in again - the, "oh crap, what to do" feeling is debilitating at 32000 feet, much less on the ground - and I like being prepared - having a plan... I'm a IT program manager by trade, work in lots of different industries - and this aspect makes me good at my job. I plan, prepare and execute on a daily basis.

Still I never took the "need" personally to be prepared for myself... that is.. until I had my daughter. Talk about instinctual, primal even.... I now know how a momma bear feels when the cubs are threatened. At warp speed over the last year (I'm a new momma), I have escalated the "need" to "feel" to be "prepared".

I randomly talk to people about this, specially due to the area I live (way close to DC) - friends, family, the random stranger on a plane.. about "preparedness". I was appalled at how many (men and women alike) said.. "oh don't worry", "nothing will happen again", or "your husband will take care of you". Uh... ok.

Well gawd love my hubby, he's chock full of common sense which isn't all that common and he's a good man. But when push comes to shove, I am the planner, thinker, initiator, pit bulldog of the house. It's my nature to remain calm and think and I have absolutely no problems with this and he has no problems with this (Believe me when I say we both have our strengths and weaknesses). When I broached this subject with him, his response was "Why worry"? This only confirmed my "need".

Enter google - and a whole new world has opened up to me - and how I found EST. My gawd I had no idea how truly unprepared my family was if in fact something happened (a checklist just isn't enough)(whatever it is - power outage to an alien attack) (not to mention the overall naivity) of people in general. Maybe I always knew this and just chose to ignore it.. but I figure it's better late than never....

I've been lurking and just soaking up ideas and basically having more 'ah-ha' moments than I care to admit to. So - I wanted to say hello, apologize for any silly questions now (although this won't keep me from asking them), and to thank you all already for the willingness to share. I hope that I will eventually be able to give something back.

Sas

#151814 - 10/13/08 06:37 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Welcome, Sasser! It's great that your awareness has been triggered. You have now completed Step 1 (The Awakening) on the road to preparedness. smile

Your hubby will come around when your preparedness touches him in a personal way. It might be something small but it will inspire a "I get it" moment.

#151818 - 10/13/08 06:58 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Sasser,,

We've always got an extra log by the fire so have a seat, and jump on into the conversation. Everybody has something to learn and everybody has something to offer.

Welcome to the campfire!!

#151828 - 10/13/08 08:15 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi and welcome... that's kinda how we all got here. Its mostly about prep -- and especially smart prep or what can we learn or do to tilt the odds in our favor.

Teacher

#151835 - 10/13/08 08:56 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: TeacherRO]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

welcome to the fire NEWGIRL!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#151841 - 10/13/08 09:32 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: climberslacker]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Welcome Newgal!!

#151847 - 10/13/08 09:51 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Welcome, Sas! And don't worry, Doug has probably had to buy bigger hard drives just to store all of my long-winded posts, too, so don't worry about writing too much. wink

#151851 - 10/13/08 10:07 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

#151853 - 10/13/08 10:11 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Welcome to the campfire Sasser.

Pull up a log (just not one of the burning ones).

Looking forward to your input.

#151861 - 10/13/08 10:51 PM Re: Newbie and overly way super long posting [Re: Sasser]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Welcome to the fire Sasser. If ya don't know, ASK. There is an excellent chance that someone here can help with about any preparedness issue. smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.