Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#151055 - 10/06/08 03:55 PM gardening...first season lessons
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just harvested my first crop from a tiny garden and thought I'd share some things I learned.

_ if I was relying on my garden for additional food, I'd need lots more plants/ area. likely 50-75)

- need to learn alot more about varieties that grow well here

- pay attention to how long a plant needs to grow --90 days for some, more for others.

- start seedlings sooner in the Winter ( indoors)

- Get more books/ info on how to

- Gardening takes a surprising amount of water. Especially growing fruits/ vegetables.

TRO

#151061 - 10/06/08 05:21 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It's quite a learning experience, isn't it?

- My soil test said my soil needs dolomite lime to add calcium and magnesium, so I need to add that this Fall.

- I need to start stuff sooner and get it into the ground sooner. Those seed packet indications on how many days they take to produce are talking about LAST TRANSPLANT DATE as the start-counting date, NOT the date you planted the seeds.

- Improved soil and growing more intensively seems to be easier to keep up with than a bunch of stuff spread out.

- Mulch, mulch, mulch! It retains soil moisture, prevents wet/dry stresses that slow down growth, keeps the microherd operating more efficiently.

- Keep the chickens out of the garden. It's amazing how much damage four hens can do, given a free rein. Their big feet kick the mulch away from the plants so they dry out faster.

- Keep most plants growing UP. Letting tomatoes, cucumbers and other things flop on the ground really increases insect damage and rot.

Sue

#151071 - 10/06/08 07:00 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

many--many years ago when i was living out of town i had a local farmer disc up a big--50x200 foot section of my yard for me and i put in a huge garden--it was during the first gas price shock ---extra hose from the well which ran alot--deer fence--time after work to care for it--hauling manure in the trunk of my car---so on--you get the idea..it never seemed to pay off..the bulk things like tomatos,cabage,corn..i could get at roadside stands..anything else like peppers never came in in the amounts it would take to make it worthwile..the next year i put in half as much and just easy things and after that just a tomato patch--unless we had some sort of WW2 sitution with rationing or a big shut down of the supply system i don't see any advantage to gardening on a big scale for the normal household..in the city now i have tomatos,peppers,onions and herbs--a pasta garden--

#151091 - 10/06/08 09:34 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"...i don't see any advantage to gardening on a big scale for the normal household..."

The picture can change in a hurry if you lose your job, your spouse loses her job (or you don't have one), or if there's a big local upset of some kind.

I want to do it so I will know how to do it (it isn't as easy as it appears), and I can control the nutrient level of my food. Farmers who insist on chemical NPK as their only fertilizer source have been shorting us on nutrition for many years.

Some people don't store food, either. Some people don't know how to do anything but operate a computer or a backhoe. The more you know, the more you have to fall back on.

Sue

#151144 - 10/07/08 12:11 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: Susan]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
This year was my first time to raise my own garden, too.

Among the things I learned:
Little critters can get inside the wire fence that has a rectangular shape. I had to add a two-foot-tall chicken wire fence around the regular fence to keep out the baby bunnies.

Pumpkins and canteloupe REALLY spread out and take over the ground. They spread way farther than I thought they would.

Tomatoes grow much taller than they can support themselves. I thought I was doing well with the wire cone cages around my tomatoes, but they all overtopped those by about two feet, then sagged and worked hard to kill themselves as the tomatoes ripened. Next year I'll stake them well and keep track of them as they grow.

I made mounds for my zucchini and yellow squash, then planted rows of carrots in between them...just close enough for the carrots to be totally overhung and shaded by the squash as their leaves spread out.

All my squash eventually got covered with a whitish, mildew-like substance. After it really got out of control, I found Web sites describing the problem and recommending that you spray the leaves with one part milk to 10 parts water out of a common spray bottle. Next year, I'll be able to catch it as it begins and hopefully stop it.

Now, a question for the more experience gardeners. I'm going to work on a compost box setup and raising a bed within the garden for some of the vegetables. Using common (salvaged) lumber, can/should I coat either/both structures with something like a deck stain to prevent rotting of the wood, or would leaching be a problem for these purposes?

Thanks all

Dave

#151145 - 10/07/08 12:28 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: DaveT]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: DaveT
I made mounds for my zucchini and yellow squash, then planted rows of carrots in between them...just close enough for the carrots to be totally overhung and shaded by the squash as their leaves spread out.

All my squash eventually got covered with a whitish, mildew-like substance. After it really got out of control, I found Web sites describing the problem and recommending that you spray the leaves with one part milk to 10 parts water out of a common spray bottle. Next year, I'll be able to catch it as it begins and hopefully stop it.

Who are you and what have you been doing in my back yard! I did exactly the same thing with the carrots and now I've got the same white mold on my zucchini leaves.

Frost on the car this morning, so that may be it for my garden this year.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#151162 - 10/07/08 03:10 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Yup, keep wood treatments of any kind out of your garden.
My squash and pumpkins were invaded by the beatles. Will need to kill them earlier next time.
The hail didn't help much, either.

#151171 - 10/07/08 04:16 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: Nishnabotna]
Susan Offline
Geezer

If you have access to cedar or redwood, it is a little more rot-resistant than pine or fir, and still safe to use with food crops. Don't use pressure-treated wood.

Raised beds are easier to work, but they drain fast. If you have sandy soil, add lots of compost and some (unused) clumping cat litter. The cat litter is clay, which helps hold water and nutrients, just don't overdo it.

Sue

#151194 - 10/07/08 07:39 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: thseng]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Originally Posted By: thseng

Who are you and what have you been doing in my back yard! I did exactly the same thing with the carrots and now I've got the same white mold on my zucchini leaves.

Frost on the car this morning, so that may be it for my garden this year.

Here I thought it was just me. smile

#151401 - 10/09/08 03:12 PM Re: gardening...first season lessons [Re: DaveT]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
This was our first year of gardening on a much larger scale - the old 15' by 15' garden was enlarged to roughly 90' by 90'.

We had a bad year for tomatoes - a late frost hurt the whole neighborhood, but one thing we didn't prepare for is keeping on top of all that we were needing to harvest.

Too many melons ened up outside the fencing for the deer. We didn't time the sweet corn harvest well enough and most of it became very starchy - part of this too, I believe, was my planting too close to the dent corn.

The spring red wheat we planted grew well, and I harvested it, but the threshing is alot more labor intensive than I expected. I have about 1/3 threshed and the rest is tarped from the recent rains until I can spend an afternoon threshing out the rest of the seed. We planted some hard, red winter wheat in an unprotected pasture last month - unlike in the spring when everything is green, the deer are on this patch of green like a magnet, so it's hard to tell how much of this area will live.

As another post mentioned, our melons and squash, too, ran way beyond the recommended spacing. My wife also thought she could infill a vine or two along rows where some seed didn't take and these vines all but choked out our artichokes and started growing into our grapes.

Our peas and green beans all did real well, in fact we look to be getting a second harvest of them soon. Several potato varieties also did real well - the kennebecs, carolas, and russets all produced well. A couple of the red varietes didn't do nearly as well.

Critters seem to be an ever present problem. The deer fencing worked on the big critters - even rabbits, but gophers, voles, moles, and ground squirrels seem to get in at will. We've been able to trap many of them, but they just keep coming!

All in all, we are real happy with our first year. Next year we hope to improve on our efforts.

Thanks to this site, and the knowledge of its members, we gleaned a tremendous amount of infomration as we started this project back at the end of winter. And the fruits of that shared knowledge is now stocking up in our pantry - Thank You!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.