The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151406 - 10/09/08 03:30 PM Hypothetical Post Election Situation
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
This is not a political post, but I wish to posit a hypothetical situation for discussion. PLEASE, do not get into the politics which would clearly not be allowed, just discuss the situation and response:

Some pundits have suggested that if PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. loses the election it could result in widespread race riots or civil unrest similar to the riots in 1993 following the acquittal of the police officers in the Rodney King trial. That possibility having been raised, whether legitimate or not, have you considered this possibility and are you preparing for it?

Again, please, no politics, just let's stick to the survival related issues here so the Moderators don't shut the thread down.

#151409 - 10/09/08 03:59 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: Tirec]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It looks to me like there is a plan in place for that possibility. I and my family would do the prudent thing and stay home until things settled down.

FEMA sources confirm coming martial law
Wayne Madsen
WMR
October 8, 2008

WMR has learned from knowledgeable Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) sources that the Bush administration is putting the final touches on a plan that would see martial law declared in the United States with various scenarios anticipated as triggers. The triggers include a continuing economic collapse with massive social unrest, bank closures resulting in violence against financial institutions, and another fraudulent presidential election that would result in rioting in major cities and campuses around the country.

In addition, Army Corps of Engineer sources report that the assignment of the 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team (BCT) to the Northern Command’s U.S. Army North is to augment FEMA and federal law enforcement in the imposition of traffic controls, crowd control, curfews, enhanced border and port security, and neighborhood patrols in the event a national emergency being declared. The BCT was assigned to duties in Iraq before being assigned to the Northern Command.

On April 3, 2008, WMR reported on a highly-classified document regarding the martial law scenario: WMR has learned from knowledgeable sources within the US financial community that an alarming confidential and limited distribution document is circulating among senior members of Congress and their senior staff members that is warning of a bleak future for the United States if it does not quickly get its financial house in order. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is among those who have reportedly read the document. The document is being called the "C & R" document because it reportedly states that if the United States defaults on loans and debt underwriting from China, Japan, and Russia, all of which are propping up the United States government financially, and the United States unilaterally cancels the debts, America can expect a war that will have disastrous results for the United States and the world. "Conflict" is the "C word" in the document. The other scenario is that the federal government will be forced to drastically raise taxes in order to pay off debts to foreign countries to the point that the American people will react with a popular revolution against the government. "Revolution" is the document’s "R word.

#151414 - 10/09/08 04:35 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: wildman800]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Actually, I am more concerned that he does get elected, and the Armed Forces are ordered to do exactly what Wildman says they are preparing for...

Nope, not political at all.

What we need is a guy like Snake Pliskin with a remote control in his hand and a string of special satellites orbiting.

This global financial mess isn't all on the US, either. I think all the major players have a hand in making this sandwich, and we are all going to have to take a bite. He who spits first loses.

#151418 - 10/09/08 05:03 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: benjammin]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
If I can be philosophical, what we are seeing is part of the growing pains of the world economy. We are all still separate countries, but the major powers are inexorably intertwined.

I would not be surprised if part of the outcome of this will be something even more like a "global economy" than what we experienced the last 10 years.

It "usedta be" that all the countries were more idependent, but those days are gone.

I'm just be philosphical about it, thats all.

To answer the question more directly... I think that all of this is halfway between "likely" and "inevitable". As a country our people have grown to hate compromise, like, "Sorry, the majority of the people voted for candidate X." This is also evidenced in the discussion about the 51st state of Jefferson.

Prepare for recession crimes, limit your public exposure, batten down your personal finances, and try to be wiser than you have had to be for most of your adult life. And, get some chickens. They are so good at generating protein that scientists are trying to figure out how to get them into space as a renewable food source.

I'm also trying to get into hydropnoics, Amazon has some very interesting large kits.

#151422 - 10/09/08 05:32 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: benjammin]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting word that, pundit. It's from colonial India when native surveyors walked carefully practised, methodical strides with pocketed counters ( precursors to the clik beads of today)so Britain could expand Kipling's 'White Man's Burden.'

Sadly, the modern bearers of this name seem to walk only behind gated communities with no less noble objectives. My family are multi generation Angelenos, one ancestor Corporal Patrick Kavanaugh having escaped the mass execution of San Patricio gringos in Mexico City. My grandfather told me " gates are for livestock and rich people hiding something in the bedroom."

I was blessed with a family who's business could take us to Fairfax and a kosher deli meal one day, or my first Haircut in Watts with my grandfather under the scissors of a former Tuskeegee airman who splashed Dragon Noir aftershave on me and put an extra bubblegum in my pocket 'for later' and probably starting my first notions of a PSK mentality.I had to have racism forced on me in all those black studies classes in the 60s and early 70s. I've had black people tell me I sometimes display black mannerisms and people ask me if I'm Jewish.

The two 'riots' ( I suppose other people have uprisings or civil disobediance) are probably the most manipulated social events in recent history.Somehow I have no more problem ( no more than the other law abiding black residents) going into Watts than I did Oakland while stationed in nieghboring Alameda.

It's ironic beyond comment. We had 'zoot suit' riots between young mexicans and navy personel in WW2 that become subject of plays. Watts becomes this DARK foreboding place gated community pundits don't drive through to baseball games in Chavez Ravine, another ethnic community destroyed along with targeted black communities for the freeways.I would point out the last major riot connected to a presidential election was in Chicago,perpetuated by a yippie who went on to elected office in California and married a movie star.

You want a practise run for real civil unrest? Drop by my local Starbucks. This trophy bride went berzerk because some lemon wedge thingy was dropped from the menu.I was so truamatised, I still unfairly racially profile every trophy bride around here in their Panzer grenadier SUVs as homicidal nut cases."Those people, that other guy" are like that, you know?

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (10/09/08 05:43 PM)

#151424 - 10/09/08 05:36 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: wildman800]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: wildman800
It looks to me like there is a plan in place for that possibility.

see the "May 9, 2007 National Security and Homeland Security Presidential Directive" here.

the white house does have a plan.

for me, being prepared at all times is a worthwhile effort and why i come here.

#151428 - 10/09/08 05:57 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: bsmith]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
If riots break out, stay at home as much as you can. Defend your family if needed (with firearms.) And have a good supply of things to ride out the time till it settles down.

Get a police scanner, program it with all the local police & fire frequencies so you can get a head up on what is going on. A hand held scanner would be good for having access to this info during your drive to & from work.

Not living in a big city will also help. It seems these things break out in large cities more then smaller ones.

Hopefully your daily trek to work will not take you through any areas that riots break out. . if so, consider a different path to work or stay home while the riots going on.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#151433 - 10/09/08 06:08 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: wildman800]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: wildman800
It looks to me like there is a plan in place for that possibility. I and my family would do the prudent thing and stay home until things settled down.

FEMA sources confirm coming martial law
Wayne Madsen
WMR
October 8, 2008

WMR has learned from knowledgeable Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) sources that the Bush administration is putting the final touches on a plan that would see martial law declared in the United States with various scenarios anticipated as triggers. The triggers include a continuing economic collapse with massive social unrest, bank closures resulting in violence against financial institutions, and another fraudulent presidential election that would result in rioting in major cities and campuses around the country.

In addition, Army Corps of Engineer sources report that the assignment of the 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team (BCT) to the Northern Command’s U.S. Army North is to augment FEMA and federal law enforcement in the imposition of traffic controls, crowd control, curfews, enhanced border and port security, and neighborhood patrols in the event a national emergency being declared. The BCT was assigned to duties in Iraq before being assigned to the Northern Command.

On April 3, 2008, WMR reported on a highly-classified document regarding the martial law scenario: WMR has learned from knowledgeable sources within the US financial community that an alarming confidential and limited distribution document is circulating among senior members of Congress and their senior staff members that is warning of a bleak future for the United States if it does not quickly get its financial house in order. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is among those who have reportedly read the document. The document is being called the "C & R" document because it reportedly states that if the United States defaults on loans and debt underwriting from China, Japan, and Russia, all of which are propping up the United States government financially, and the United States unilaterally cancels the debts, America can expect a war that will have disastrous results for the United States and the world. "Conflict" is the "C word" in the document. The other scenario is that the federal government will be forced to drastically raise taxes in order to pay off debts to foreign countries to the point that the American people will react with a popular revolution against the government. "Revolution" is the document’s "R word.

That is not a legitimate news source.

#151437 - 10/09/08 06:17 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: harstad]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Don’t make your survival plans dependant on infrastructure too much, it may not be there. The police may be too busy, fire fighters probably won’t come into a war-zone just to get shot at. Electricity can easily be interrupted by a bullet into a transformer. Home and cell phones can fail, be overwhelmed or be taken out by a rioter.

While these things are probably going to be short lived, they could be nasty (ask Reginald Denny) and you have to expect that the only one looking out for you is you.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#151439 - 10/09/08 06:33 PM Re: Hypothetical Post Election Situation [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
SPeaking of phone lines. I just found that there are companies making LED Lights that run off phone wall jacks. Since most places have phone lines still powered during outages...you'd have lights. It was on the news locally.

Won't work on a cable phone such as provided by Time Warner

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.