Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#151302 - 10/08/08 10:09 PM B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Very interesting survival story.

B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick
Darcy Wintonyk, ctvbc.ca

A B.C. man who was attacked by a black bear says he was forced to use a stick to defend his life against the animal.
Jim West, 45, was walking with his two dogs near 70 Mile House -- about halfway between Kamloops and Williams Lake -- when he his dogs reacted to a noise in the woods.

"All of a sudden I heard a 'whoof' on my right and I looked over and there was a bear six feet away from me," he said.

Full article here

Google map of the area here. I know this area extremely well and it is truly bear country...

#151308 - 10/08/08 10:41 PM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick [Re: ]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Yes.

I hope that this means that with this in mind the idea of playing dead is finally done for, especially with Black Bears.
boreal.net

#151311 - 10/08/08 10:58 PM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick [Re: BruceZed]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I've always been told:
Grizzly: play dead.
Black Bear: fight as though your life depends on it.

Gotta say that this guy is one tough dude! Remind me not to mess with him!

#151312 - 10/08/08 11:01 PM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick [Re: BruceZed]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Maybe we should have background checks for sticks, it seem they can be dangerous.

I read something about hiking with a dog and how it can cause more bear attacks then being alone. It seems the dog will go after the bear and rile it up to the point it attacks. When a person is by themselves they will be nothing more then a very mild interest to a bear.

I was backpacking on Grand Island in Michigan’s UP and on a trail about 60-feet in front of me a bear came out in the open. He looked at me and just wandered off. I waited a min and continued down the trail.

Also that night a bear walked by my tent that was on the beach. The only reason I know it walked by is the footprints in the sand. I did not even come up to the tent; the tracks were of a bear just walking by as if the tent was not there. (my food and camp stove were on a bear pole.)

Bears don’t bother me at all, the mosquitoes & fly’s on Grand Island were unbelievable. I would take the bears any day over the bugs.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#151314 - 10/08/08 11:05 PM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick [Re: NightHiker]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

He must have eaten his vitamins that day…

#151320 - 10/08/08 11:39 PM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Give it time and PETA will take him to court over this…

#151324 - 10/08/08 11:59 PM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stick [Re: BobS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'd agree that dogs and bears are a bad mix. Dogs don't have the sense to leave cubs alone, of course momma bear is going to try to get rid of them. Then the dog runs back to you, wanting to be protected. Now it is your problem.

I've had bears come pretty close to me- I don't freak, they don't freak, and it's just a couple of pedestrians sharing the terrain.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#151325 - 10/08/08 11:59 PM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Am I the only one who wishes this was on video? This had to be one epic battle.

Not from the bears point of view!

#151334 - 10/09/08 12:18 AM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic [Re: BobS]
Henry_Porter Offline

Maybe we'll see a new product at next year's Outdoor Retailer ("That's not a stick; now THAT'S a stick!").

Also, look for billboards in your area soon: "Nov. 2-3 at the Anytown Trade Center - Gun, Knife and Stick Show".

#151336 - 10/09/08 12:22 AM Re: B.C. man beats black bear to death with a stic [Re: BobS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: BobS
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Am I the only one who wishes this was on video? This had to be one epic battle.

Not from the bears point of view!

lol. +1 on wanting to see the video.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.