Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#151304 - 10/08/08 10:10 PM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd [Re: Nicodemus]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
ditto, Nicodemus!!!

#151327 - 10/09/08 12:02 AM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd [Re: Nicodemus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
echo that nicodemus

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#151332 - 10/09/08 12:13 AM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fnd [Re: Nicodemus]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
I buy DR products, other products from the people who advertise here and even make donations to the ETS Foundation to support this site and the work Mr. Ritter does, which is done for free.

If you don't feel you are being served by these forums or the information on Equipped to Survive and don't feel like chipping in to lessen Mr. Ritter's expenses for providing this site and all its services that's fine, but I really don't need to hear about it.

+100 Great Post.

#151509 - 10/10/08 02:49 PM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Survival is too important for marketing BS. My concern, first and foremost, is my life. If a company not associated with this website has what I need, at a good price, then that's who I'm going to buy from. By the same token, I'm not going to buy something based solely on its endorsement by this website.

This part goes without saying. Nobody is going to tell you to buy the Foundation's knife when there is a better knife at a better price somewhere else. ETS has to be competitive with its product offerings and provide true value.

This is SURVIVAL we're talking about. If you want to make a buck off it, fine. But if making a buck is your primary concern, then your advice is about as useless as an infomercial.

Making a buck is extremely important to any *company* who is in the survival *business*. I think that many of these companies are more concerned about quality than price, and if you had dinner with doug and saw how he talks about his stuff... you'd see that quality is more important to him than "a buck". I'm sure this is also true for other companies like Redflare.

I believe you are trying to say that products have to have a real value. Quality and price have to be proportionate. Greed is bad.

Once again, everyone would agree with you if you said it that way. But I doubt many people would agree with that statement as it rests.

I think your thoughts are valuable. They are part of the check and balance of commerce. But the way you said it could have been a bit less "charged".

That being said, I don't want this site to turn into an unbalanced gear dog and pony show either... Survival is preparedness, knowledge, skill, wits, and luck. Gear is just a part of preparedness, and sometimes it gets more press than the others combined.

#151515 - 10/10/08 03:14 PM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? [Re: clarktx]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
ATTENTION

TO

DETAIL

If anyone can cut through marketing hype, it is Mr. Ritter.

Read Doug's reviews of commercial survival kits.

Now read the detailed description of Doug's aviation survival kit or even the pocket kit. He goes through exactly why he chose each and every item. When something is a compromise, he explains why. Name anyone else that does this to the level he does.

When people here buy DR gear, it is not because of brand loyalty or celebrity status or even because it is for charity. People buy it because they know Doug's picked it apart, found all the weaknesses and either fixed them or told us about them.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#151545 - 10/10/08 10:10 PM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? [Re: clarktx]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: clarktx
I believe you are trying to say that products have to have a real value. Quality and price have to be proportionate. Greed is bad.

I'm saying that people who are trusting their life to a piece of equipment should be given advice that leads them to the right equipment. It doesn't matter who is, or is not, profiting from it. All that matters is that no one dies because someone sold them the wrong equipment.

Where is the link to Katadyn's website around here? A good water filter might save someone's life. But wait... ETS doesn't get any royalties for Katadyn water filters, so let's not show people that particular piece of equipment.

Know what I'm saying?

#151548 - 10/10/08 10:45 PM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Where is the link to Katadyn's website around here? A good water filter might save someone's life. But wait... ETS doesn't get any royalties for Katadyn water filters, so let's not show people that particular piece of equipment.

There are a lot of people discussing all types of katadyn products if you do a search. In fact, there have been entire threads dedicated to different types of water filtration devices by all manufacturers including Katadyn.

This thread was where someone was specifically asking how to benefit a specific non profit corporation the best. All the responses have been on topic with the original question.

Edited by clarktx (10/10/08 10:45 PM)
Edit Reason: oops typo

#151553 - 10/10/08 11:10 PM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? [Re: clarktx]
Enthusiast

You know what I found at that Red Flare website? Those cheap "survival blankets" that are hated by everyone who has ever actually tried to use one. Why is that kind of crap being advertised on ETS? Because making money is more important than someone else's life.

#151554 - 10/10/08 11:11 PM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ

Uh, let's see, that link would be right here.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#151556 - 10/10/08 11:15 PM Re: Which Ritter Gear vender pays most to ETS Fndtn? [Re: thseng]
Enthusiast

And here is the link to the piece of crap "survival blanket" that is going to give someone a false sense of security until they get hypothermia.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.