Opps I missed it, thanks Izzy

#151174 - 10/07/08 04:34 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Did]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted By: Did
Thanks Schwert,

A question:

Do you have the Brynje fishnet in polypropylen or the cotton's one ?

I have the poly version in tops and bottoms. I have very very very old cotton net from LLBean and some Devold wool net that is also quite old.

I much prefer the Brynje poly net (Super Thermo if I remember right) to the cotton. The cotton net is great mosquito protection but not a good in the wet or winter as the poly net. The Brynje net is also great in the summer under a tightly woven fishing shirt...the added layer keeps mosquitos from poking though and you can very easily ventilate with a couple of shirt flaps. Great under a backpack too....hunch your shoulders a couple of times and "huff" some cooling air under there.

The Devold wool net is my warmest top....very very comfortable in deep cold but way to warm out here in the Pac NW. This is the stuff I would wear if I was ice fishing or something very sedentary but cold. Impossible to find anymore too which is unfortunate.

Merino is the new high tech.....capiline and its brethern are the old tech much like Dufold cotton thermals of the 60's...except they stink to high heaven as well as freeze your ass off.

UnderArmor is a marketing sensation....pure expensive stinky junk in my view.

#151177 - 10/07/08 04:43 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Schwert]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Last weekend my wife and I went up to Mt Rainier National Park for a 4 day get-away. I had no idea how the weather would turn out....cool and cloudy with rain or even snow, or sunny and warm.....we had sunny and warm (60's-70's). Perfect weather for hiking around the area. But Rainier like most of the larger peaks in the Pac NW can change from beautiful to blizzard in mear moments.

Having a wind/rain shell and a few other items is always prudent on this mountain. A cup of hot cocoa "spiced" up the mountain views too.

I wore my 190g/m2 Ice Breaker top under a fishing shirt and was comfortable in the cool mornings and evenings as well as during the day. I wore the same top 4 days in a row and could easily go into the dining room at Paradise without killing small children with the stench of poly. laugh

Myrtle Falls at sunset.

#151208 - 10/07/08 09:57 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Schwert]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Lord, Schwert - that is the prettiest picture of Myrtle Falls I've ever seen!

#151211 - 10/07/08 10:14 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Lono]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Thanks Lono. It was a difficult one to get as the slot canyon is so narrow it does not get much light. I had to work at this one using a split ND filter to hold back the light on the mountain and balance it with the low light in the canyon.

I was more than a little happy with the way it turned out.

Pulling this all around....

I was also happy to have a merino top on as the air was chilling down fast as I was working on that image. Mosquitos were out and trying to work me too.

If I had been wearing poly-stink-o-rene underwear I am sure the waterfall would have run up hill and I could never have gotten this image. grin Of course it may have killed off the mosquitos.

Rainier in the early fall is a wonderful place.

Edited by Schwert (10/07/08 10:16 PM)

#151214 - 10/07/08 10:27 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Schwert]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Schwert,

Great photos, the night sky must have been pretty spectacular that evening, with the atmosphere being so clear.

There is an synthetic alternative to Merino called X-static which doesn't stink in the same way as other polypro or polyester wicking layers.

http://www.berghaus.com/technologies/clothing/X-static.aspx

And if you can't stand you own parfume whilst wearing synthetics, just think what others must be enduring! Might make a good bear repellent though. laugh

#151228 - 10/08/08 01:51 AM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Schwert]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the info Schwert.

Your photography is amazing as always, that Myrtle Falls shot should be a postcard!

Mike

#151270 - 10/08/08 05:54 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: SwampDonkey]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Thanks Mike. I lucked out on that shot.

The lower slopes of Mt Rainier are pretty wet in the dense forest cover. Loads of fungi all over the place.

#151277 - 10/08/08 06:38 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Schwert]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Schwert,

Thank-you for posting these shots. They are truly awe inspiring. These are the best glimpses I've had of the Mt. Ranier area.

You have some great talent.

#151281 - 10/08/08 07:12 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: wildman800]
Did Offline
Stranger

Loc: France
Schwert,

Is it possible to eat this kind of mushroom ?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.