The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#151133 - 10/07/08 07:48 AM Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
We are developing a 1 page handout to be included with our emergency kits and would like to get some comments on it. Please feel free to comment here, or send me an email if you want your comments to be kept private.

Thanks to all!

Emergency Preparedness Tips:
  • 1. Fill out a card containing your in- and out-of-state emergency phone contact number, emergency meeting place, location of your emergency kit, etc. Family members should always carry a card with them.
  • 2. When your cell has poor or no reception – send a text message. They often get through when voice does not.
  • 3. Scan all your important documents, zip them into a folder, password-protect the folder (your zip software will have the option to do that), and upload it to a USB memory device or burn a CD/DVD*. Offer out-of-state friends or relatives to exchange devices for safe-keeping. A bank safe-deposit box is also a good option.
  • 4. After a disaster, survivors often claim that their most painful loss is family photo albums. Consider scanning irreplaceable photos and adding them to your Important Documents Disc or USB device.
  • 5. Make sure that all cars, motorcycles, boats, and RV’s you own carry up-to-date First Aid and Emergency kits for appropriate numbers of people. Emergency kits for vehicles should contain vehicle-related items in addition to general supplies. Don’t forget a tow rope, jumper cables, light-reflecting triangle or road flares, and a can of tire sealer/inflator.
  • 6. People with special needs may require special arrangements for evacuation. Prepare a plan for your loved ones and rehearse it with them. Designate an individual in the family who will be in charge of each person with special needs (this includes children, elderly, and people with disabilities)
  • 7. Pets require special arrangements as well. Include dishes for food and water (small, easy to clean, made out of non-porous, non-breakable materials), pet food, extra water rations, collar, leash, muzzle (if needed), copies of immunization records, any prescription medications, and a small toy. Microchips are useful in lost pet recovery. Research pet-friendly hotels along your planned evacuation route. Arrange for a safe place to house your pets if you can not bring them along.
  • 8. In an earthquake, much of the damage is caused by fire and water. Locate all utilities’ shut off points and fire extinguishers in your home and insure that all family members know where they are and how to operate them.
  • 9. Designate a meaningful date once a year (birthday, anniversary, holiday, etc) to go through your kit and your Important Documents Disc or USB device and update everything that has changed or expired. This is also a good time to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and to check the expiration dates on your fire extinguishers.
  • 10. Have a family meeting to create your family’s Emergency Plan. Research indicates that children are more likely to learn and follow the plan if they participate in its creation and rehearse it regularly. Make it fun to keep kids engaged. Trade roles and have them teach the plan to you. Role-play various scenarios and praise the kids for getting it right. Be patient!

---
*Items to consider: driver’s licenses, passports, birth/marriage certificates, insurance policies, current prescriptions for medications and vision correction, diplomas, etc. If you hold insurance policies for your belongings, it is also wise to photograph expensive/irreplaceable items and scan in those pictures as well – it will greatly simplify your claim process later on.

#151151 - 10/07/08 01:24 PM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: redflare]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
I have a couple of suggestions.

I carry a reflective safety vest in all of my vehicles. They take us almost no space. The vest will make it easier for people to see you in both daylight and at night. My vest come from Home Depot.

I recommend carrying two cans of fix-a-flat. I work in construction and flats are pretty common. It often takes two cans to do the job. But, fix a flat has gotten to a tire store many times. I don't leave home without it.

David Enoch

#151158 - 10/07/08 02:43 PM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: DavidEnoch]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its good, but I'd prefer emergency info listed first - what to do / where to go as first information...like

If you smell gas - get out! do not use phone or lights or any electrical equipment...etc

#151161 - 10/07/08 03:02 PM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: redflare]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Some things that came to mind:

#3 is rather "tech-y" for someone who isn't quite familiar with computers. Plenty of people store important things on their computers, but many don't really know how to do more than launch iTunes or IE to surf to their favorite website.

#4 could also mention a fire-resistant safe as another alternative to protect precious photos, especially for people not so computer saavy. Storing it higher in the house should protect against water damage from floods.

#5 I think specifically mentioning a flashlight in that list of items would be good.

#7 mentions pet-friendly hotels, but could also mention that almost all public shelters do NOT accept pets. Most people who have never had to go to a shelter don't seem to know this fact.

Maybe mentioning to keep this kit and their other important items someplace quickly accessible, not up in the attic. Whether it's an earthquake, wildfire, tornado, or even a grease fire in the kitchen, they may need to run out of the house NOW with it.

Prescription meds is one important thing that everyone needs to add for themselves to any store-bought kit, and which may not be available for a number of days after some disaster. At the very least, they should grab their own meds on the way out. Better would be to have a small emergency supply in their kit.

#151166 - 10/07/08 03:37 PM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: Arney]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: Arney
#5 I think specifically mentioning a flashlight in that list of items would be good.

RF kits all have flashlights (not sure about the value, but they are included). This list would be included in a RF kit.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#151176 - 10/07/08 04:37 PM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: redflare]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
#4: perhaps include additional line suggesting that some stores will scan and store photos for those who are not computer savvy.

I like this idea of yours. I am impressed with the details that you've included concerning the care of pets, speciial needs, and the elderly.

#151178 - 10/07/08 04:51 PM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Pets should be wearing visible ID tags, even if they have a microchip. Having the vet's address/phone on the reverse gives the finder options. Many people still don't know about microchips or what to do to check if an animal has one. I have a notarized document in my file at my vet clinic listing my animals, and asking them to accept them if they are brought in by anyone, and I will pay the bill.

Folding pet dishes (good for water, too) are lighter and much less bulky than regular dishes. Here is what they look like: http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/serv...et_13318_26916_

Sue

#151184 - 10/07/08 05:41 PM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: Susan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
It's all well and good to scan your docs, but that's not going to help when you run out of the house one night in your underwear. I have a copy of my IDs and passport, ziploc'd, in a Nalgene in my BOB. More accessible than a USB three states away.

"...collar, leash, muzzle (if needed)..." I'd personally take out the "as needed" portion. No one wants to admit that their Fluffy is an ankle-biting pint-sized demon. Until I step on it, then I'm the bad guy. All dogs should be muzzled if taking off - IMHO. Which reminds me, I need to go buy a muzzle....

Suggest laminating the emergency contact card. Most copy shops have the capability. If not, perhaps include a waterproof card in your kits?

#6 - in some areas, there are programs set up so that 911 dispatchers have a "list" of special need folks. See if your area has something similar. That way, if Fire Station 51 knows that Old Grandpappy has a prosthetic leg and can't climb out of his third story apartment, they can send Johnny and Roy to check up on him (saving his kids, Apathetic and Forgetful, from driving into the disaster to check).

#151190 - 10/07/08 07:01 PM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: redflare]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Instead of putting it on a piece of paper, make it useful and print it on a orange bandanna so people will be more incline to keep it and can use it for other things like filtering, signaling,dust mask, etc.. you get the idea. On one side of the bandanna you can put your instructions with company logo and on the other side the words HELP! and the below symbol. I would also put some basic survival instructions on it as well.

Kinda of like the below but you have to make sure not to copyright it.

#151224 - 10/08/08 12:54 AM Re: Emergency Prep Handout - Please comment [Re: redflare]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Pictures of each family member and each pet. A couple of printed copies, and a couple of JPG's on that USB stick of yours. Might help in getting everyone back together if they get separated. "Have you seen this face?" with a picture works better than trying to describe what family/pets look like.

Pictures of your home and its contents can definitely help with insurance claims you may have to deal with later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.