Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#150942 - 10/05/08 11:39 AM Lightweight Utility Gloves
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

While doing a search of these boards, a lot of posts mention that gloves are nice to have, but no one has talked about which gloves to get.

These seem pretty reasonable due to dexterity, cost, and size (easy to pack in small spaces), but I wonder about their durability:

http://www.countycomm.com/gloves.htm

People say that leather is best for durability, but it also tends to be expensive and more bulky. Is there any better compact option? Thanks!

#150946 - 10/05/08 01:18 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: kirbysdl]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For general gardening work I use Wilkinson Sword Grey Leather Gardening Gloves, which cost around $10 from the local DIY store.

Soldier 95 Leather Goretex gloves are a bit more expensive but are excellent if comfort, fit, durability and waterproofness is required.

http://www.militarykit.com/products/gloves/soldier_95_leather_combat.htm

And for colder days Outdoor Design Winterflex inferno Goretex Gloves or Mitts are pretty good as well.

http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/products_gloves_winterflexinferno.html

#150947 - 10/05/08 01:21 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well what do you want to use them for. There are many diffrent gloves for many diffrent application.

I own pretty much all kinds of working gloves, so i can always get the right on for the job.

#150948 - 10/05/08 01:26 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: kirbysdl]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Just get a pair of good leather gloves, Home Depot, Costco, wherever; they don't need to be anything special. Back them up with several pair of Nitrile gloves in your FAK.

#150956 - 10/05/08 02:40 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I don't typically use gloves. But becasue I have really callused hands, they are kind of pointless, another one of my problems is, if they don't fit, i won;t wear them.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#150959 - 10/05/08 02:59 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: kirbysdl]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I bought Hatch Dura-Thin Police search duty gloves but many people on the board criticized my "O.J. Simpson gloves" saying they are not durable and are not warm. Well that's what I wanted. Something to wear in summer in case of emergencies when I would need some protection while being more compact. They have tight cuffs to keep infected blood from running down into the gloves and infecting the wearer through existing cuts on the hand and the wrist-length will not interfere with jacket or shirt cuffs. But so far I've not been EDC them and they stay on the shelves (not compact enough and I don't wear cargo pants)

Frankie

#150965 - 10/05/08 04:39 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: climberslacker]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
They're worth having if you have to work around broken glass.

#150969 - 10/05/08 05:07 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: Nicodemus]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I think gloves are an often unthought of aspect of what to have in a EDC bag.

I always carry a pair of thin poly pro glove liners. I use them in the winter for running and cycling (under my bike gloves) and the rest of the year I use as needed.

For my lighter, more compact EDC kit, (like the one I use when running in the desert) I carry surgical gloves as a vapor barrier for the middle of the night when I would just be trying to stay warm and alive. I also carry a shower cap, free at any hotel, as a head cover. They weigh nothing and take up almost no space.

For a pure "keep your hands warm" situation, I like mittens, more specifically Pearl Izumi 'lobster gloves'.

For general use I use leather gloves mostly. I have several pair of military style gloves including nomex, reinforced, shooter style gloves and those are also good. Its amazing how much vibration and cuts can be solved with even thin gloves but if your trying to not get poked when picking up sharp debri, thicker the better, but you lose tactile ability to pick up small objects.

#150970 - 10/05/08 05:13 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: Nicodemus]
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally Posted By: Frankie
I bought Hatch Dura-Thin Police search duty gloves but many people on the board criticized my "O.J. Simpson gloves" saying they are not durable and are not warm. Well that's what I wanted. Something to wear in summer in case of emergencies when I would need some protection while being more compact.

What he said. Durable would be nice, but I could always buy another pair if they're cheap enough. Protective and lightweight would be great though.

I'm looking for some general utility gloves, not winter gloves. The idea is something that I can EDC for some protection in case I have to do stuff with rough/sharp things.

Unfortunately, the size gap seems to jump from first aid gloves that you can stuff in a 35mm film can to even the smallest utility gloves that can't even fit in a 1010 pelican case. (Not that you would... just giving a size comparison)

As Comms said, hand injuries are common because of all we do with them, and gloves seem to be a good option, but they're too big to EDC and have at hand when needed. The point of my question was to see if there's a good solution to this problem.

I'll definitely look at some of the lighter options though. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Edited by kirbysdl (10/05/08 05:26 PM)

#150974 - 10/05/08 05:58 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: kirbysdl]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I always take a pair of cheapie Costco leather gloves when I am out and about but never thought to carry gloves as part of EDC. While I will probably never carry gloves for EDC, I will throw a pair in my truck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.