Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I think even Walmart has it.

#151528 - 10/10/08 05:40 PM Re: survival neck knife [Re: Nishnabotna]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Frankie,
Your own SIR mailorder in Canada sells it in 50' rolls. You may have to email them, as their catalog may not show it. If that is to much, an ebay seller named Ben's Backwoods sells 14' lengths. He is a good guy, I've bought from him before.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (10/10/08 05:41 PM)

#151536 - 10/10/08 08:18 PM Re: survival neck knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Neck Knive CARRY is a very old concept. And when metal was still a rare and precious commodity, ALL knives were smaller because of simple material cost and design limits of copper and bronze.

The size of a neck knife is only limited by the constraints of individual physique. Obviously some wrastler on the TEE VEE with a bull kneck could carry a larger knife.

So, when you look at a dedicated kneck knife, ignore any gimmicks or exaggerated reduction in dimension.All survival parameters still apply, only reduced somewhat in size.

I also take exception with the materials used as hangers. We tout paracord for it's tensile strength and utility. Well, I don't want a 5MM 550 lb piece of nylon garrroting me in an accident. I also want my knife to drop IN FRONT of me should it fall, not fly off 270 odd degrees elsewhere.
My solution, and it has added utility, is LAMPWICKING, that stuff used in -oil lamps and for the best traditional snowshoe binding around. It is flat and comforatable. You can stitch a few breakaway threads and WEAR the stitch behind you. Should you get hung up it will break free and the knife fall forward, or just down your jacket, anorak, poncho. ALWAYS keep at least a shirt collar or hood between you and the lanyard even if the knife is slipped inside.
The second happy benefit is a ready source of TINDER (see oil lamp use.)

My neck knife, and there are some nice ones shown here, is the traditional puukko. I like it as much for the very ergonomic and cold weather friendly handle and deep sheath.

Ok, fair comment. I personally prefer cross body carry. For the reasons enumerated above.
With regards to the comment on one of the other posts about a knife throwing a compass off, I personally have found this to be a problem if:

You allow the blade to become magnetised.

You use a hi-density steel.

My knives are either VG-10 (Fallkniven WM1) or carbon steel (Frosts Mora).

#151539 - 10/10/08 09:13 PM Re: survival neck knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Yes Chris, indeed, I saw it on their site once but I looked back and they don't show anymore. Apparently they are with Cabela now. I'll email them. I also found a good source of wool blankets made in Prince Edward Island (MacAusland's woolen mills), apprently their blankets are exeptional and more affordable than the Point blanket from TheBaie.

Frankie

#151882 - 10/14/08 12:57 AM Re: survival neck knife [Re: tomfaranda]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda

Greg,

i have the identical CUDA and like it - where did you get the sheath? It looks thinner then the leather one I have. When I bought the knife it had no sheath.

I think I ordered it from AG Russell, when they had a run of them in D2.

Greg

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.