Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#151227 - 10/08/08 01:43 AM Re: A DIFFERENT KIND OF SURVIVAL MOVEMENT [Re: benjammin]
SouthDakotan Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Besides which, the folks in the state capital would have to approve the secession. Do you think the politicians are really going to be okay with giving up a major state asset? Eastern Washington state has been trying the same stupid stunt for decades now. The end result is always the same, the electorate in and around Seattle is far too big and greedy. That's why folks in Spokane pay for a new Seahawks stadium, despite the fact that 99% of them will never make it to a home game in person. It's also why an entire state can vote for the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. candidate except for two counties, and yet the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. wins, which is exactly what happened in the last Gubernatorial election in Washington.

The rural areas of a state are stuck with the decisions of the metropolitan masses, and there's really no provision in any state constitution anywhwere that would allow them to somehow overrule the majority. It's also why winning Nebraska or North Dakota in the presidential election is not really a factor 99% of the time.

Your best bet is to live in a state that has virtually no metropolitan population, or with a rural population that is competitively close. Anyone ready to go to Wyoming yet?(population approx 530,000, Cheyenne is the most populated town at approx 53,000, roughly 1/10th the state. I don't think anyone could call Cheyenne a metropolitan area).

It's funny that rural vs. urban can even be a factor in my state. In South Dakota's state legistlature most of the northwest counties(where I live) gets one senator and one representative if I remember right. Now a city like Sioux Falls gets more representatives(I don't know how many but it's a few more. This can cause problems when dealing on certain issues. An example would be how my family has been talking to both or district's senator and representative(that's actually possible here) about trying to make some exceptions to some new laws to make life easier for farmers. They were interested in helping us, but they said that it would be hard to convince the politicians from the more populous districts that this was needed. Usually things do go along pretty good here politcally otherwise.

#151231 - 10/08/08 02:38 AM Re: A DIFFERENT KIND OF SURVIVAL MOVEMENT [Re: SouthDakotan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, the metropolitan effect is not so prevalent in SD as with Wyoming I reckon. It's a different story when the rep proportions get more lopsided.

#151232 - 10/08/08 02:47 AM Re: A DIFFERENT KIND OF SURVIVAL MOVEMENT [Re: SouthDakotan]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
It seems to me that the Jeffersons are in an echo chamber. They just keep hearing and repeating each other's thoughts. The idea that they will accomplish anything - even the additional independence, failing actual statehood - seems incredibly optomistic and without precedent. Amazing.

A group of counties becoming a new state would create an even more fractious national whole, as other groups followed suit. It would be fascinating to watch, while also being annoying to be affected by it.

Just imagine the billions its would cost as every national, state, and local government, as well as every business, had to update its systems ... WORLDWIDE

It would be difficult for me to join their initiative even if I lived there. Its impossible for me to reconcile that it would be worth it in the big picture.

In short, you are absolutely right Wildman.

#151236 - 10/08/08 03:34 AM Re: A DIFFERENT KIND OF SURVIVAL MOVEMENT [Re: samhain]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I like how the Florida Keys rebelled against the Customs Blockade of the Keys.

Their Congressional Representatives declared their secession from the Union, they immediately surrendered unconditionally, and then requested Reconstruction Funding to repair ALL of the War Damages!

They made their point and resolved the issue in a humorous fashion!

#151239 - 10/08/08 11:21 AM Re: A DIFFERENT KIND OF SURVIVAL MOVEMENT [Re: wildman800]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I live in Connecticut after living in Florida. I can tell you this whole concept of everyone doing what they want in their own little sandbox doesn't work. In fact, during a disaster it is probably going to get people killed.

Connecticut abolished county governments a long time ago. Now, you have 140+ cities all doing their own thing. Regional coordination is starting out of necessity, but some people's opinions are that they usually start too late anyway. This is probably unlike what "Jefferson State" is going to do, but if we start fractionalizing things, that might be bad. Then again, there are only about 20 major urban areas in the United States. If they're separate and control their destiny like Jacksonville, FL ( they are both a city and a county effectively ) or those weird Virginia concept of independent cities.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 239 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.