Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#151110 - 10/07/08 01:12 AM Re: A Girls First EDC Knife? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

Thanks for the input folks.

We have strictly identified that NO WEAPONS GO TO SCHOOL, not even a 2" Cute Pink SAK Classic and my kids are responsible enough to abide by that rule. Right now my daughter keeps her new SAK in her Youth Program jacket, where useful (small) knives/multi-tools are not a problem (even encouraged on field outings).

Benjammin - Good thought on the need for a locking blade, this small SAK was just a first step to build on, I am thinking of this Multi-tool for her next gift. Still no locking blade but she needs a multitool and would not use a large "Mens" model; it has to be "trendy" or she just will not carry it.

Izzy - You are a funny guy; pink spray paint would be fine with me but would not make the grade with a teenage girl!

Later,

Mike

#151115 - 10/07/08 01:59 AM Re: A Girls First EDC Knife? [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Looks like a good job all around, Mike.

For your daughter, I think you're nurturing the basic idea that cutting tools are normal and handy to have. Once you get used to having them, and reaching for them, you tend not to leave them home.

As for the multitool: I wonder if you should let her choose between some options? Maybe a SWAK Champ with everything would appeal. Or quite possibly a Squirt S4 with scissors? Scissors appeal to females, apparently. My DW will only carry a Micra in her purse (though her car is suitably loaded down with hardware for all occasions).

Regarding your son, I'm curious: why did you go with the #3 Grohmann instead of the #1 original? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
Doug

#151122 - 10/07/08 02:43 AM Re: A Girls First EDC Knife? [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

What's funny is...when I was in grade school? I carried a pocket knife with me. Then when I was in 7th grade...Columbine happen and the metal detectors went up a week later and that was an end to that.

I always had some sort of pocket knife on me as well in middle school/high school. Never had a problem, but I was always good with knowing when to use it, and when not to.

In high school one of the teachers started an adventure club/camping club. So we would go to the meetings after class was over for the day, to work on different skills and such. I remember in one of the early meetings someone asked if anyone had a knife or scissors to cut some rope for knot practice. Well, near half the students in the club offered up a knife of some sort, as did the teacher (who, we later learned, always carried a large SAK). grin

We're not talking about a dangerous school in a bad area either, I went to a private high school in a well-off area. It was kind of funny to see ~15 guys in suit-and-tie offering their pocket knife. It seemed as though many of the guys thought it was very gentleman-like to be able to offer up a knife or lighter to someone in need, so they always kept them in their jacket, just in case. smile

#151148 - 10/07/08 01:05 PM Re: A Girls First EDC Knife? [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Doug,

I am a Grohman knife fan and have 2-#1's, a #3 (in poor shape), a #4 and my father's #2.

The Youth Program that my kids and I are involved in is structured after the Canadian Military, therefore I thought the Grohman #3 "Jump" knife issued to the CF would be most appropriate as a reward for completeing his summer training.

Prior to this I had given him a green SAK Signature Lite pocketknife. Last week I had forgotten to leave the outside house lights on when we left for a meeting and was fumbling with my keys in the dark trying to open the door on our return. Suddenly there was light (red) as my son was behind me with his small SAK showing me the way. EDC success!

Mike

#151150 - 10/07/08 01:14 PM Re: A Girls First EDC Knife? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

I agree with you Izzy,

I EDC'ed a SAK from about age 11 onward, I even got married with it is my pocket; as a gift I gave the men in the wedding party dress knives of their own.

In the current world the days of teenagers EDC'ing a small pocket knife everywhere (like school) are gone.

Mike

#151198 - 10/07/08 08:21 PM Re: A Girls First EDC Knife? [Re: SwampDonkey]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Bring knives to school? Heck, we used to bring loaded cartridges to school and make them into cool chess sets. A 22 lr as the pawn, a 44 mag was a rook, a 308 was a bishop etc. Oh the things we nerds got away with in Chess club...

#151201 - 10/07/08 08:57 PM Re: A Girls First EDC Knife? [Re: benjammin]
JeffD Offline
enthusiast
Stranger

Loc: Eastern Ontario Canada
Hi Folks,

Yessir, carried a folder all through high school, handy as it was for the time. Small town Ontario and you were always slicing, cutting, whittling. Plus the screwdriver blade was handy on the motorcycles.
A friends daughter was going to Korea to teach English and I gave her a SAK to keep. That was 10 yrs ago and she recently came home and said she lost the tweezers. Replaced them and she's good to go again.
On a sadder note...apparently Grohman Knives in Pictou, Nova Scotia Canada has lost the contract to supply knives to the Canadian Armed Forces. And their sheaths were made by another Nova Scotia firm. Sadder still is that their member of parliament is the Canadian Defense Minister. Off-Shore quality strikes again.

#151206 - 10/07/08 09:42 PM Re: A Girls First EDC Knife? [Re: JeffD]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Luckily I took the Buck Alpha out of my locker the day before they searched it and expelled me.
You'd think they'd take a joke, but they really didn't have a very good sense of humor.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 419 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.