The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#150975 - 10/05/08 06:02 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: aloha]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Nomex aviator gloves are a good fit for lightweight EDC.

#150980 - 10/05/08 08:31 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: Russ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
These gloves from CountyComm are my gloves I wear for chainsawing stuff - they don't slip, including after wet and rain. They are also good for handling boards and stuff. They have held up for at least two seasons, no holes or tears. I used to wear them for light outdoors gloves while hiking, but they don't actually keep your hands too warm from wind, I went to $12 Smartwool wool liners for that, they keep my fingers toasty.

Atlas also makes something pretty close to the CountyComm gloves, same anti-slip material. If/when the CountyComm's wear out I might look at the Atlas but wouldn't mind another pair of CountyComms.

#150981 - 10/05/08 08:51 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: Lono]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
This is something that I've considered recently. I carry traditional leather and canvas work gloves in my pack and I decided to add some to my kid's packs as well. We've noticed a lot of garbage on our local trails this fall and though we try to clean up a little on every hike. There's been a lot of broken glass lately so the extra protection is a big plus.

I was surprised to have a tough time finding kid sized work gloves. I thought every hardware store and toy store on the planet would have them, but no such luck. I finally found some at a local dollar store, in the hardware section.

For a buck you can't beat the price but they're actually not bad gloves, they even have double stitching and a bit of padding. My 5 year old loves them because they look just like his Dad's.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#150983 - 10/05/08 09:25 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: bacpacjac]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I have seen gloves that look identical to the County Comm gloves at Academy Sports and Lowes for about $3/pair.

(No relation to any of the above).

#150992 - 10/05/08 10:56 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: Frankie]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I carry Hatch Friskmaster Max gloves at work and they are great for what they are ment to do (protect against cuts while providing acceptable dexterity). They are also uncomfortable as they are tight and cold so I do not wear them often, but they are always in my coat or cargo pants pocket. They are a real "clue" to the public though, because when you show-up wearing them everyone expects something is going to happen.

I keep normal insulated leather gloves "handy" for other chores both on and off the job.

Mike

#151023 - 10/06/08 07:22 AM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: SwampDonkey]
morto Offline

Loc: Melton, Victoria, Australia
I use a pair of Ironclad workcrew gloves for all sorts of light duty stuff, and pair of leather riggers gloves when I need something more hard wearing. The workcrew gloves are light, flexable and close fitting.

#151040 - 10/06/08 02:06 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: morto]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
One more thought on the CountyComm gloves, they seem to run a little small - I don't have large hands, more like medium, and they just fit. If you have larger hands I expect they would be too small. Maybe hunt down the $3 equivalent at Lowes to check them out.

#151164 - 10/07/08 03:23 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: kirbysdl]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I use several pairs of ordinary leather work gloves for handling things that may injure my hands. Nothing terribily special or proprietary about them.

As another poster mentioned - a few pairs of nitrile or latex gloves are in the FAK.

For cold weather, I've got a pair of windstopper fleece gloves with a set of waterproof over-mitts that will keep me warm for a very long time. I can always add a charcoal pak handwarmer inside (facing the back of the hand).

I also have a pair of wool finger-mitts. They are just OK, I don't use them much as they don't have a leather palm wear surface which would make them more durable.

#151169 - 10/07/08 04:03 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: Roarmeister]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I carry a pair of Mechanix-style gloves in my bag everyday. I've gone through so many pairs that I'm starting to form a pile in the corner. They're one of the first things I reach for when starting any sort of work, becaus having crippled hands can really suck. Even minor wounds or cuts can really cause problems in some situations.

They're good for protection, but not insulation. They're pretty good if you need dexterity but don't need the heavy duty protection of regular leather work gloves. Most of them are made of synthetic leather, which means they will melt, so you have to be careful of what you grab. The original Mechanix gloves fit me the best, but they are also the thinnest and most expensive. There are a lot of knock off brands from Home Depot/Sears/Walmart look and feel the same, but they're thicker (less dexterity), don't wear as well, some of them are downright crappy. A lot of them have rubber grip pads on the tips of the fingers, which I personally don't care for, but could be useful if you needed more grip.

I also keep a cheap pair of leather work gloves in the car for emergencies, and if I need to deal with really hot items, I've break out the full length welding gloves. For painting or dealing with chemicals, I have a box of Nitrile gloves from Costco. Nitrile seems a lot stronger and more resistant to chemicals than regular latex. Latex ones will literally dissovle off your hands if you expose them to anything stronger than paint thinner.

#151172 - 10/07/08 04:22 PM Re: Lightweight Utility Gloves [Re: ducktapeguy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Burning your hands is a great point that I forgot to mention Ducttapeguy, but one of the main reasons I carry thin gloves in my EDC.

In the desert in summer you can burn your hands on just about anything outside, especially metal stair railings, poles, rocks, cars, and lawnmowers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.