Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#150921 - 10/05/08 12:16 AM Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
The sidewalks of my neighborhood are filled with stacks of cedar planking from fences blown over in hurricane Ike. Being a cheap fellow, I hauled a bunch of them home to make some more raised bed/square foot gardening boxes. I made the assumption that cedar wood fencing ISN'T treated with anti-rotting agents but now I'm second guessing myself. Are cedar fence planks chemically treated or are they safe to make gardens?

How about the 2x4's? I assumed they ARE treated pine and I shouldn't use them on the inside of raise beds.

Thanks,
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#150922 - 10/05/08 01:03 AM Re: Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing? [Re: Blast]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. Most treated lumber is pretty obvious and most cedar is intended for cosmetic uses and also is considered intrinsically weather resistant.

OTOH, I suspect you'll have a fairly limited lifespan in direct contact to moist earth, esp. with 3/4" thicknesses.

But if it's free, what the hay.

Dunno about the 2x4s. Most fencing around here uses cedar 2x4s, but your situation might be different.

As a counter point, if this is re-cycled, some of it may be treated by the home owner (deck sealer or similar), although chances are pretty slight.

-john

#150923 - 10/05/08 01:06 AM Re: Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing? [Re: JohnN]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I've got quite a bit of cedar fencing around my house, none of it came treated. Given it's natural resistance to rot, etc. I can't imagine that the stuff you've found would be. If it's been painted or stained, all bets are off.

Same with cedar tubafors...redwood ones too for that matter...

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#150929 - 10/05/08 02:20 AM Re: Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing? [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Cedar by itself keeps away bugs and certain molds and grime that rot wood. S'why they use it on roofs and in siding. Just waterseal it with some Thompsons and you'll be good.

You never want to put Thompsons on any wood that will be used in a garden as the chemical (like most) will leach into the soil.....then into the food.

To answer the OP's question, I have never seen or heard of cedar fence planking treated with any chemicals or pressure treated so I called my friend who is the manager of a 3rd generation family owned lumber yard, he says it has never seen it come through their yard. Given the natural resistance of cedar from rotting does not make it cost effective to treat.

In my own garden, we have cedar lined beds that are now 6-7 years old and have no signs of rot and we are in the rain prone PNW area....

#150943 - 10/05/08 11:53 AM Re: Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing? [Re: ]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Why not line the inside of your planters with heavy plastic sheeting used for making ponds? Just regular 4 or 8 mill sheeting might last long enough to get you through a planting or two. That way if the wood is treated it will not be in direct contact with the soil.

#150950 - 10/05/08 01:50 PM Re: Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing? [Re: Blast]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
From what I understand Blast cedar isn't treated because of it's natural resistance to rot.

In fact, I pulled up my old beds (treated pine fence boards - trying to do it on the cheap) when I realized the leaching problem, and am planning to rebuild them with cedar boards.

I built mine 3'x 6' by just driving stakes at the corners and securing the boards to the stakes. The 3' width was manageable (I could reach in from either side easily to weed / harvest my goodies).

#150967 - 10/05/08 04:58 PM Re: Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing? [Re: samhain]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Blast: I would use the cedar in flower beds. As others said, I've read it's naturally resistant to insect infestation and certain molds and, while it will rot, it's more resistant (like redwood) to rot than most other woods.

Edited by Stretch (10/05/08 04:58 PM)

#150997 - 10/05/08 11:43 PM Re: Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing? [Re: Stretch]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1 Ray's idea to line the beds with plastic. You may want drain holes on the bottom, depending on rainfall.

#151056 - 10/06/08 04:05 PM Re: Raised bed gardens out of cedar plank fencing? [Re: TeacherRO]
thatguyjeff Offline

FYI - Made raised beds out of plain old untreated pine, no sort of waterproofing used at all. 5 years and still going (though showing fair amount of rot).

Made a compost bin out of cedar leftovers (for the frame), 8 years and no sign of rot at all - even on the bottom.

This is in St. Paul, MN - winter climate.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 207 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.