The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#150870 - 10/04/08 02:07 PM Icebreaker merino underwear question
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I want to invest in itch proof merino thermal underwear. I understand the function of this base layer is to wick moisture away. My main question is if the thinner it is the better it is at wicking moisture and just use wool sweaters for insulation purposes? I'm asking because I don't know which thickness I should buy. I checked out the 150 at the store but it's very thin. Their original is 260 so should I get this one? Should I get 150, 200 or 260? Which one would wick moisture the best? I want to use this layer only during late fall, winter and early spring.

Thanks
Frankie

#150873 - 10/04/08 02:22 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For use as a base layer the 150 should be fine. Layers on top of it will help move the moisture and add insulation. I've gone synthetic for my baselayer, thin Coolmax works great to move moisture away from your skin. Then wool or whatever on top of that. Coolmax is easy to clean and dry.

Same with my feet -- coolmax liners, Smartwool socks.

#150885 - 10/04/08 08:03 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Russ]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
Wool is not the best moisture mover but if you insist on not having a synthetic (best) base layer, a thiner wool layer is probably best.

#150888 - 10/04/08 08:14 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: Colourful]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

What do you guys think would be the warmest, best wicking base layers. I've seen all this hype on under armor and I was wondering if it was anything like it hypes to be.

What do you think the best maker of base layers that offer the best of all worlds? (warmth, wicking, fast drying, compactness, etc...)

Would your choice be wool, synthetics, or what?

#150896 - 10/04/08 08:39 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Ok thanks Izzy, I figured as much, it seams they spend half of their profits in advertising. They had a under armor store over by the bass pro shop in Jamlando and I went in looking at them just to see what all the hype was and they seamed very expensive and didn't appear like it would keep you warm, but I never bought a set to check them out. I was curious to see how they hold up in the northern part of the states but I do agree that over at travel country they do have better thermals. Next time I run over to to the east side I'll drop back in to travel country outdoors and see what they are carrying.
Thanks Izzy.

#150898 - 10/04/08 08:45 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: falcon5000]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
What do you guys think would be the warmest, best wicking base layers. I've seen all this hype on under armor and I was wondering if it was anything like it hypes to be.

What do you think the best maker of base layers that offer the best of all worlds? (warmth, wicking, fast drying, compactness, etc...)

Would your choice be wool, synthetics, or what?

Personally, I like a layer of Patagonia Capilene Silkweight (now called "Capilene 1" I believe) covered with Capilene Expedition Weight (now "Capaline 4" if I understand).

The silkweight stuff is very thin, comfortable (in fact, it does resemble silk in texture), and dries very quickly. For whatever reason these two layers are much warmer together than I would have expected.

I'd much prefer to layer than to have one, warmer layer. I think you really don't want an overly warm/think base layer.

In more moderate temperatures, you can layer the silkweight with a midweight layer (Capilene 2?).

-john

Edited by JohnN (10/04/08 08:49 PM)

#150899 - 10/04/08 08:57 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: JohnN]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks john, how does it hold up in very cold temps and high winds? I know it's a base layer, I'm just wondering if you had and cold spots coming in through your outer wear if it is good at reducing that chill.

#150901 - 10/04/08 09:43 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I know how they say cotton kills, etc.. I have been wearing cotton long johns in the military, skiing, etc.. and they have kept me warm in some pretty cold conditions. I have had them soaking wet in the cold with sweating because of being overdressed while skiing one time. I never had felt cold, the edge of the sleeve actual turned into a chunk of ice,I crushed it up and everything was fine but those were when I stayed active and I never noticed how wet it was until I went in the lodge to get something to eat later on that night. If I had cut my layers down it would not have gotten that bad, but I was on a mountain skiing and no where to put the cloths. There is something to be said about the old cotton long johns, cheap, warm and my father and his father and so on have been wearing them for decades and they lived long lives. I've used them over 40 years and even in -25 below and I'm still here. But they are a pain to get the water out once wet, but with a good fire has helped.

#150902 - 10/04/08 09:46 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: falcon5000]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Thanks john, how does it hold up in very cold temps and high winds? I know it's a base layer, I'm just wondering if you had and cold spots coming in through your outer wear if it is good at reducing that chill.

Well, it doesn't get cold here the way it might in some places, nor do I get as much outdoor time as some here, but it does get miserable cold, with a lot of wet thrown in for good measure. In any case, YMMV.

The Capilene is not a 'windstopper' layer. It is fairly dense, so does a reasonable job, but you need a shell on top to keep a strong wind from coming through.

I noticed that layering over a silkweight layer is much more effective in general warmth, as well as blocking drafts than just wearing the heavier layer.

Personally, I think it is very effective.

-john

Edited by JohnN (10/04/08 09:47 PM)

#150903 - 10/04/08 09:48 PM Re: Icebreaker merino underwear question [Re: JohnN]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Ok, thanks John. I was looking for a long john replacement that would be faster drying and control wicking a little better.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.