Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#150863 - 10/04/08 05:29 AM Re: "The Office Pool" - "When will CC's be refused [Re: BobS]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: BobS

No money advisor worth his or her salt will tell you credit builds wealth.

I guess I will tell that to my employer who started his business 10 years ago with a bank loan, paid it off and now makes well over a million dollars a year and my sister and her husband who borrowed money to buy a new building for their business and paid it off in 2 years instead of 10 with the increased revenue.

On a smaller scale, I had to borrow $300 from a pawn shop (at 68% annual interest) to get the tools I needed to go from being a day laborer at $3.35/hr to an electrician apprentice at $12.50/hr. The $60 I paid in interest for that 3 month loan back in 1983 was made up in less than 1 day on the job (pawn loans always costs what they would be full term even if you pay them back the next day).

#150868 - 10/04/08 12:34 PM Re: "The Office Pool" - "When will CC's be refused [Re: LeeG]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Lee, it is very fortunate that you were able to change your situation so dramatically.

I could argue that you sold the item to the pawn shop to buy your tools, which is not exactly debt. Or ask you where you got the money for the item in the first place(which must have been worth more than $360). But these are all details and I'm not going to second guess you.

But I will ask you: This pawn shop - pretty empty, right? I mean they really weren't selling much stuff that people never were never able to buy back, right?

So many small business startups fail, and every one of them went into it thinking "I'm not going to be one of the ones that fails, I'm different." You see it over and over again. Yes, starting a business on a loan can work. When it doesn't, it often means bankruptcy.

If you sister's business was growing that well, I'd venture an uneducated guess that they could have made-do for, say, three years and bought the new building with cash, risk free. Yes, they would be a little less wealthy than they are at the moment, but if things had tanked, they would have had a big pile of money saved instead of a mortgage on a failed business.

As I have been saying, debt involves extra risk that is often unnessesary. You can get lucky, but you can also be very unlucky. Therefore I would advise people to avoid it.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.