The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#150518 - 09/30/08 07:26 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: Stu]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Try it out and then you'll understand the situation.

I have spent a great deal of time alone. The results have been interesting,,

I discuss everything in every aspect with myself as I go along (no my voice doesn't change as each side of my brain speaks).

I tend to be wary of all strangers, more so when there is no reason to be.

I have become the "perfect towboater", basically anti-social, able to stand long watches, late at night, without feeling a need for company.

And all of y'all thought it was easy to be the village idiot! Hah!!

#150523 - 09/30/08 08:21 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: wildman800]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Party on Wildman's boat.

#150529 - 09/30/08 09:18 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: Stu]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
IIRC People start to have significant psychological changes if left totally alone for a few days. Some say 3 days, and it is noticeable.

See, I think it depends on your personality. An introvert, like me, who actually prefers to spend time alone, would not react the same as an extrovert who feeds on social interaction with other people.

People wear me out. When I spend too much time around other people it stresses me. I NEED time alone in order to recharge my batteries.

If I were ever to go to prison, solitary confinement would not be the way to punish me. I would prefer it. If you want to punish me, make me stay in the general population.

#150534 - 09/30/08 09:48 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Actually, my understanding is that those prisoners who say that solitary won't bother them are usually the first to go around the bend. But even they know that there are other people around, even if they don't get to interact with them. Humans are social animals, if you know that there is NO ONE for miles, and no way to change that, you'll not be in such a healthy place after a while.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#150535 - 09/30/08 10:02 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: ironraven]
Enthusiast

Here's my schedule on a typical day:

5:30 a.m. Wake up
6:30 a.m. Go to work at the post office
7:00 a.m. Start getting the mail ready for delivery
10:00 a.m. Leave the post office to deliver mail
4:30 p.m. Go home

For 3 hours a day I have to deal with people. Those 3 hours are the worst part of my day. The rest of the time I'm alone. My mail route is in a rural area and I hardly see anyone unless they need to sign for a package or certified letter.

When I get home, I stay home. I don't call people on the phone. I don't go out with friends. It's just me until 7:00 a.m. the next morning. And that's the way I like it.

Don't tell me I couldn't handle being alone. I know myself better than you know me.

#150608 - 10/01/08 06:10 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
When I find myself isolated, I tend to notice my praying is more focused, as if in dialogue.

#150631 - 10/01/08 08:35 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You have a social life, don't you? You have contact with family and friends, right? No offense, but lots of people think they are tough enough to beat isolation, lots of them going into prison isolation start off believing that. They are the ones who usually get interesting hobbies like carving on themselves or eatting their socks. And it isn't just criminals- NASA has done individuals and small groups, and most people get more than a little strange after six or seven months.

Humans are social animals. All humans. Some need more, some need less, but all humans need interaction. Saying that you are immune from that is like saying you are immune from pain.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#150639 - 10/01/08 09:19 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: ironraven]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: ironraven
You have a social life, don't you? You have contact with family and friends, right?

No, and no.

I stopped having a social life years ago. I have a 16 year old son who lives in another state. Haven't even talked to him on the phone since January. I pay child support and send him stuff for his birthday and christmas, but that's been the extent of my involvment with him since I moved.

I don't have any friends. I couldn't even tell you my neighbor's names.

#150647 - 10/01/08 10:31 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

But on IronRaven's defense you are posting here which shows you do have some bit of sociability need. If you can be at home staring at a wall for 24/7 for years without any contact or whatsoever, then you are one of a few breed. I know of nobody that can do that, but that's not to say someone can't do that. You may be that one but not me, I'd go nuts.

I know when I'm lost and alone my mind's wondering doesn't help my situation,I continue to try to improve my self when it comes to being alone for long periods of time but I need that social intervention from time to time. It's a part of human nature and we sometimes don't discover it until we are in trouble and alone. Then it rears it's nasty little head.

#150654 - 10/01/08 11:36 PM Re: Wilson,Wilson [Re: Stu]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
...snip...IIRC People start to have significant psychological changes if left totally alone for a few days. Some say 3 days, and it is noticeable.

Just about the time I finally start to de-stress right now, 7-10 days ALL alone sounds REALLY good
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.