Topic Options
#150383 - 09/29/08 06:30 PM Re: Single Flint Striker [Re: Chisel]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Before you start modifying you may want to consider these options:
spark device in pistol shape
spark device
Unfortunately I do not know the proper English terms for those devices (sorry but Iīm not a native speaker). Maybe the links provide a little help anyway.

BTW: Galvanized threads tend to have rounded tips on the threads. That would not work too well (BTDT). You may need to recut the thread for sharp tips. In our hardware stores they sell the flints without holder. Before I used PVC pipes I used a holder in the style they use for sets of Allen wrenches on rings ( Allen wrench). That kind of holder is easy to make from work hardened wire.

I have no affiliation with the linked companies.

#150403 - 09/29/08 09:20 PM Re: Single Flint Striker [Re: M_a_x]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Welcome to the club
I am not a native speaker either

ummm. Isn't the Allen wrench holder too short ?
Seems to me that sparks will be too close to your fingers.
That is why I love the idea of an eye bolt. Plus an eye bolt is rigid while allen wrench wire holder is flexible and may bend when you use it.

BTW, suppose you you the allen wrench holder or any other holder, what do you scratch the flint against ?

As far as spark devices are concerned, I think the "pistol" ones are electronic and their sparks are very weak. The second link offers what looks like a flint striker, without the cup. I should look around for one. I think it is the ultimate firestrting backup. You can store in a BOB in any kind of weather from rain and snow to high temperature and would still work.

#150406 - 09/29/08 09:28 PM Re: Single Flint Striker [Re: M_a_x]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

BTW, Max

Your second link looks very close to a "triple flint striker" . Compare to a "single flint" it should produce THREE times as many sparks. But, maybe three flints are installed to be used one-at-a-time.

Anyone has a clue ?

#150432 - 09/30/08 01:14 AM Re: Single Flint Striker [Re: Chisel]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
They are called strikers and are used to light gas powered torches such as Oxy-Acetylene or propane. You can get a flame out of them as I have used them to light cigarettes at work when other means were not available. Usually sprayed some paint or other flammable substance in the cup and squeezed the striker and enough flame to light a cigarette.

As far as a one handed firestarter They could be rigged to work but I would think it easier to buy a sparklite or Blastmatch or carry a bic.

The replacement flints can work but are kind of small you may be able to buy some flint rods in that diameter online.

The triple flint striker is nice I use one at work and like it much better than the single flint version only because you have replaceable flints on the sriker and all you do is rotate it after loosening the screw to have a fresh flint.

#150486 - 09/30/08 03:39 PM Re: Single Flint Striker [Re: Chisel]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

The Allen wrench holder is a minimalistic approach. It will keep your flint on the key ring but it will not provide much of a handle. I put it on the tip of my left index finger and scratch with my pocket knife or the utili key (which happens to be on the same key ring). That works pretty well and the sparks donīt hurt the finger. It just takes a little practice. Just donīt cut yourself.
Some of the pistol ones use regular lighter flints. They produce slightly more sparks than a lighter but they are easy to use with one hand and easy to aim even without practice. They are too bulky for EDC but I think they are OK for a BOB.

#150547 - 10/01/08 12:57 AM Re: Single Flint Striker [Re: M_a_x]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Aren't these based on the simple firesteel like in FireSteel.com? Why not just use of these?

#150585 - 10/01/08 02:17 PM Re: Single Flint Striker [Re: RobertRogers]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

They seem to be next of kin.
Why not use firesteels:
- when I started carrying mine, firesteels were not available in my neck of the woods and I desperately wanted one for EDC
- I like to play
- the gas lighter flints have a nicer size for the key ring
- I like to play
- they worked well
- I like to play

BTW: Meanwhile Germany reached a somewhat developped state and the firesteels are available. I bought some for my outdoors kits but they are little too bulky for the urban kit so the tiny flint still travels on my key ring.

#150598 - 10/01/08 04:05 PM Re: Single Flint Striker [Re: Chisel]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome

Best thing I ever learned in the army, except to shoot a Carl Gustov! [84mm Hand held Antitank Weapon, made in Sweden]
boreal.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.